Channel Not Available Error Message

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Channel Not Available Error Message

Yeah, I'm with you. I'm not about to invest a gazillion hours of my time while Rogers pretends to be interested in fixing this issue. Fortunately, the channels that don't come in aren't at the top of my viewing list. And that's probably true for all of us who are having a problem so that might be a clue as to why we can't get them. Maybe Rogers has a way to make sure the popular channels are at full strength while the less popular get what's left. I'm sure not a techie so I'm just speculating. Anyway, I've started looking at Bell Expressview to see how that compares. Dealing with Rogers is just a pain - but then again, so is dealing with Bell. Geez, isn't it great having the CRTC to look after us?

I've Been Here Awhile

I hear you, wilbrich.  Unfortunately, one of the channels that is out for me is one I watch a lot (the NFL Network).

But fortunately, I think I've found an answer.  I'm not sure if it'll be the answer for everyone, but it's working for me so far.

Apparently Rogers has rolled out a technology called SDV, it basically affects how the system operates (I believe in short the system uses bandwidth more efficiently).  Obviously, it can also create problems.

I took the advice provided by user "57" at the digitalhome forum.  I had my box plugged into a surge suppressor.  I now have it plugged directly into the wall outlet.  Apparently, the suppressor can cause the box to not communicate as effectively as it needs to with the Rogers system when SDV is in use.  Here are some links:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=127717

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=95651&highlight=sdv*+issues

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

Thanks Rogers for being so quick to respond to your customers, the answer was right here and I didn't have to spend about an hour searching online.  Oh wait, actually I did. Smiley Mad Honestly, how hard would it be to provide an explanation?  These SDV issues have been happening to your customers for months.  It's not like this is a brand new issue.  Why do we have to go to another forum to get answers?  Other companies have support forums where they actually help their customers.  At the very least put it on the Support FAQ on your website.

I know I'm being a bit of a jerk, but it's also some honest feedback.

Good luck solving this issue everyone.  I hope it's as easy for you as it seems to be for me.

I Plan to Stick Around

My box is plugged directly into the wall, and I can't access On Demand 90% of the time.  I hope your solution works for some, but it won't for me. Smiley Sad

I've Been Around

I too am having the same problem and have for a month or so. Unlike many of you the channels I'm missing are ones I watch mostly my west coast feeds CTV, GLOBAL, CITY.. 80% of the time they don't come in and when they do it's for a short period of time. I tried plugging it directly into the wall outlet but I'm still getting the dreaded channel not available message. I think it's about time I switch to a different TV provider. They say satellite isn't as reliable...but at least when my channel goes out I know it's because of weather
I'm Here A Lot

Tried the direct to wall plug-in thing. No change. Will explore those links when I get a chance. Tks.

I've Been Here Awhile

It's your cable. Not the box.

Trust me, I'm in the exact same position with everyone here. Located in the basement is where I use my Scientific Atlanta EXPLORER 4250 HD Rogers Box. Sometimes I get certain channels but most of the time I'm missing some like the Comedy Network, IFC, ACTN to name a few. ( incl all of the On Demand channels )

However, my family also have the same cable box and they receive all channels. My dad has his in the living room running from the wall. My mom has hers in the top floor living room running from the wall as well. My brother gets all his channels and his bedroom is on the other side of mine practically next door with a cable running from the furnace room's wall using a splitter with only another black cable running directly into my (other) brothers TV ( he doesn't a Rogers Box though ). Mine runs directly into the wall. No splitter... several attempts have been made to resolve this issue ( My Dad took his Box and plugged into where I had mine initially... only to run into the same issue ) trouble-shooting with the cable-cords, and what not only to come to the conclusion that it wasn't the boxes themselves.

My dad also tried a spare cable he had on him... but because of my location it was put into a splitter that was shared with about 3 other cords ( one of which is the internet which is used by my family on a frequent basis ) so the signal strength wasn't strong enough and I yet again achieved the same results ).

Hopefully this helps.

Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for your help crash20015!

I Plan to Stick Around

I had a service call scheduled and the day before almost all my channels started to work again.

I cancelled the service call as I thought the problems had gone away.  However, I still cannot access the Call Display Channel (ch. 975).  This isn't a critical channel for me, so I have not rescheduled a service call.

I tried to plug directly into the wall as mentioned above, but it didn't solve the problems with ch. 975.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would check your signal strength, as well, you may not have any splitters on the immediate wire, but there could be some in the part where the cable enters your house. The older splitters are usually culprits and do not always meet the frequency of the cable spectrum used with the rogers box. plus ive seen them hidden inside walls, celings ,etc.

Be sure to click Likes for those who have helped you!
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s).

I'm Here A Lot

Here's a good news update! I finally got around to calling Rogers. They confirmed that both of my HD boxes were not sending a return signal back to Rogers whenever I tuned into an SDV channel. So they sent out a tech. He noted that both boxes did not have an IP address which indicates that there was no return signal (as above). So he checked the cable-in line and found something he called an "air filter" - at least I think that's what he said. It's a small (about 2" long) tube that attached to the cable just before the splitter. He said immediately that that was the problem. This filter was probably added by a Rogers tech years ago to clean up the signal. Before I bought the HD boxes, this was no big deal. But with the HD and SDV era, this filter prevents the box from sending a return signal to Rogers when you tune into a SDV channel. Anyway, he removed it and I'm functioning 100%.

S, if you're having a problem, check for this filter. The tech said that sometimes these are installed outside the house so you may have to look out there. He also said some of the less experienced techs may not diagnose the problem as they may be unfamiliar with this device. Apparently it's no longer used but may still be installed on many cable installations.