Channel Not Available Error Message

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Channel Not Available Error Message

Good morning.

I am a Rogers VIP subscriber in Ottawa. Commencing yesterday evening, when I try to access certain channels, I receive a couple error messages. The problem persists this morning as well.

For example, the following is for Channel 41 (RDS):

RDS_SDV
Tuning RDS...

One Moment Please

After about 5 seconds, the message changes to:

Channel Not Available

The channel is currently not available.

Please try again later.

Return to previous channel.

I followed the steps outlined in the Self Service portal, but no luck so I called the Rogers support number as directed (613-516-3819) and was walked through several processes including the complete rebooting of the Digital box from Rogers end.

Despite all our efforts, the problem has not been resolved so a ticket was raised (C27285632) as the customer service rep seemed to think that the problem was definitely a Rogers service issue.

It is important to note that not all the stations subscribed to with my VIP service displays the error messages. Some standard stations are also affected whereas some VIP stations are not affected. Below is a partial list of the stations that I am having the problems with:

11 (CFJP)

35 (TV5)

37 (MPLS)

41 (RDS)

60 (CNLD)

64 (VRAK)

72 (VIVA)

73 (GTV)

75 (SNW)

76 (SNP)

77 (NFLNT)

78 (GOLF)

79 (CNBC)

80 (HN)

82 (ACTN)

83 (DIVA)

84 (IFC)

85 (NATG)

86 (MTIME)

87 (BBCC)

88 (DHC)

89 (DIY)

I do not use a HD Digital box. I am using a Standard Digital box from Rogers (Scientific Atlanta).

Are there others experiencing the same problems or has a resolution been posted?

Thanks in advance.

***Edited labels***

I'm Here A Lot

Re: Channel Not Available Error Message

I wish I could help but I get exactly the same message. But I have an HD Cable Box and, therefore, I see the message with a number of HD channels. And I get this message when I try to access Channel 99, their "help' channel. Go figure! And, to top it all off, Rogers On Demand does not work, has never worked. You'd think they'd have something on their website to help us out, wouldn't you? Not Rogers! Oh, I'm in Toronto. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi, 

I have the same problem.

I had some audio issues with my Explorer 4250HD.  I exchanged it for a Explorer 4642HD and now I have several channels that are showing as not available.

I have reset the terminal, called tech support and confirm signal strengths and even got a 2nd Explorer 4642HD box and I still have the same issue.

I have a Explorer E-940 in another room and I can access all the SD channels that I cannot access on the Explorer 4642HD.

I'm Here A Lot

C'mon Rogers! We know you're monitoring this forum. Jump in and give us some help! If the cable box is at fault, why not just acknowledge it so we can move on from there. Your customer service stinks.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I'm in the ottawa area and I can get those channels just fine. It might be with the box but I sort of doubt that multiple people would have the issue all at once.. I would call 1-888-ROGERS-1 you'll get this sorted much faster.
I Plan to Stick Around

I am in London.  I should mention that it appears that the channels I cannot access are different than the ones you listed above.

I called Rogers tonight and went through more troubleshooting steps.

I was told that the issue was going to be forwarded on and would be resolved in about 30 minutes.  Although it is not over an hour later and the problem still exists.

I've Been Around

I have been experiencing the same problem for the last 24 hours on both my HD Box (4250) and SD Box (3200).  The same channels are unavailable on both (e.g. Dusk and TMN on Demand); I have the VIP package. Re-booting does not help.

I will be calling Rogers as soon as I post this message.

I'm Here A Lot

I have to believe this is a signal strength issue because of my experience. Here's why I say this. For the past week or so, Rogers has offered NHL Centre Ice for free. So I try to watch a game on Ch 451 only to receive the dreaded "Channel Not Available" message. So I try 452 (or 453 or whatever) until, low and behold, I get a game! At least until the picture freezes. Then I go back to one of the previously unavailable channels and, yes, I get a game - until the picture freezes! And if I go to the baseball game and return to a channel where I previously had a game, I get "Channel Not Available". So it can't be my 4250 - it's got to be the signal. Now I have Rogers VIP with 3 TV's using splitters. Is that the problem? If so, why wouldn't Rogers simply say so and suggest a remedy. I'm puzzled by their silence. 

I Plan to Stick Around

We experienced the same problem, with multiple missing channels, at the end of Sept.  Some of it we got sorted out with a tech visit, but our On Demand services are practically non-accessible.  Many phone calls later, I am still waiting for resolution. It isn't the boxes, because we switched our HD box to a completely different model, and the problems are exactly the same.  I am not a techie person, but I suspect the problem is poor signal strength, a lack of sufficient bandwidth, or Rogers has insufficient server capacity to service their customers.  Pathetic.  I'm located in Toronto, but it sounds like these problems are hitting Rogers customers no matter where they are.  It would be really nice if Rogers would actually let their paying customers know what is going on.

I've Been Here Awhile

I've got the same problem.  I haven't really noted which channels don't work, but for sure it includes the NFL Network, some of the Sportsnet channels, TSN had the error for a bit but usually works, channel 118 did not work last night (I believe this is a Global channel from the West coast).  That is all I've noticed so far.

I guess I shouldn't expect much from Rogers, given that this was posted a week ago and they've provided no response.  My God, even just to say "we don't know what the problem is yet, but we are working on it.  We will keep you informed."  What a joke.

I don't really want to spend my time trying to get this resolved, but I guess I will have to.  Rogers will reboot my terminal and that won't work.  They will instruct me to go pick up another terminal, and that won't work.  I went through the same nonsense earlier this year when the guide kept on losing information every midnight and wouldn't refresh for several hours.  I picked up a new terminal and it was DOA.  I had to pick up a second new terminal and had the same problem with the guide.  Eventually it went away, because it was a Rogers issue all along and eventually they got around to fixing it.

I certainly don't want to change terminals again.  Silly me, when I first did that I thought I'd be getting a new terminal, but of course all you get is a recycled (used) terminal, that's as cheap as the one you gave up.  I swear these terminals are designed to last three years, tops.  Sorry, I'm venting a little here.

Hopefully Rogers fixes this soon and I don't have to call up their customer service department and demand a refund for channels I'm paying for but not getting.