Channel Not Available Error Message

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Channel Not Available Error Message

When I've had signal problems the Rogers tech has replaced splitters and connectors no charge. Once he just laid a generous length of new cable on the basement floor connected from where it comes in to where my TV was at the other end of the house. I had to stuff it up in my drop ceiling.  But this is a 35-year-old house that originally had a TV tower. I can't even remember who did what when I first got cable. I believe most new houses now get cable put in to most rooms by the builder and Rogers just connects to that.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Around

Hi - I am in Toronto and have a similar problem.  For the past week 16 of the basic cable channels are not reachable - the green box error message is on screen.  I wondered if anyone else had the problem.  I have the basic digital router supplied by Rogers. 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@smithworld101 wrote:

Hi - I am in Toronto and have a similar problem.  For the past week 16 of the basic cable channels are not reachable - the green box error message is on screen.  I wondered if anyone else had the problem.  I have the basic digital router supplied by Rogers. 

What do you mean by "basic digital router "? A DTA50 digital adapter?

I've Been Here Awhile

I have this problem once in a while, as I'm pretty sure everyone does. One

day I had this message on a few channels. This went on for about 3 days.

I started researching on the net. I stumbled on someones posting which

said to uplug the cable-in to the back of your box and touch the copper

wire in the middle. Then screw it back on. I was quite surprised that this

actually worked. Something about static electricity building up on the cable.

It works for me every time.

I've Been Here Awhile

I forgot to mention that you have to retune the channel. That is, go to another channel and back again

to see the result.

I'm a Senior Advisor

This is an older thread and I just came across it again. I had this problem about a week ago, but it started as shows from west coast channels getting recorded in just a few short clips on my SA8300HD. Then CHCH Hamilton didn't record and would come up "Channel not available".  The odd part was that this only happened on the HD channel on my 8300HD, not on my 8300SD or DTA50. I called Rogers and they opened a ticket. Another couple of days later the problem appeared to be gone. In the meantime I've had a couple of responses from Rogers about the ticket, but no word of what was found or fixed. Since the problem now appears to be gone, I doubt if anything will be found.

I've Been Around

We had the same issue and it took 3 onsite techs and over a year of multiple calls and multuile agents to finally get resolved.

Older tv splitters won't work.  You need to use their new 'equalizer' to handle a higher frequency range for hi def channels.

Also, Rogers leaving a temp cable hanging between trees for over a year contributed to a low signal issue.

Yet another service call has been placed to have it buried.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

YEah...
Having a TEMP line up can fix signal issues from an exisiting burried line..

But leaving one haning too long, can result in that too Smiley Tongue  (not designed for it, more exposed, etc).

When dealing with a burry.. call in first, and make/get them to put in a ticket to have it done.
Leave it a few days/week.. call back.. make sure its still there.
Any issues, etc... call and be asked to speak to the cable bury department.  There is one, i have talked/dealt with them in the past.
Also.. for your protection.. play it smart.. and MARK or something on your EXISTING stuff, so you know whats what.

EG:
We had a major signal issue.  Temp line put up.  Didnt get burried over fall, thats fine, figure spring? Spring, nothing.  Call and they never had put a ticket in for it Smiley Sad  Talk to burry department and arange the bury.
Now, i had been watching as the tech put up the temp, etc.. and KNEW what my old burried line looked like, where connected.
Came home one day around when the bury was to be done.. temp line gone.. oh they must have done it.... grass doesnt seem disturbed..  and lo and behold.. they just re-attached the old burried line.
Now.. rogers for MOST areas, for the burries.. DO NOT do the work themselves.  They use 3rd party companies.
I call the bury department back and tell them what happened.  They are sceptical (thinking i dont know what i am looking at/for).  They say that they have a work order here from the bury company, saying it was done.. a charge for 150ft of cable, etc....
Wait.. what?  Its like 40ft.. 50 MAX from the box which is in front of MY house to the side of the house.
Guy agrees... something fishy... he sends a rogers guy out to meet with me, as well as a manager from the cable bury company.  All agree.. they cheated both ME and Rogers.
Next day, was burried properly.

I've Been Here Awhile

For those still looking for a solution, I contacted Rogers and it appeared that my box had a poor signal coming in. I figured that it had to be a splitter issue. Initially the cable coming into the box was fed through 2 splitters. I switched it to only use one splitter and the issue is resolved. It seems that the channels that are broadcasted through on a lower signal (Viceland, RDS, TVA Sports) are affected by multiple splitters. 

Hope this helps anyone who is looking.

I've Been Here Awhile

I have  a 'rented' NEXTBOX 8600 HD.

For months now i cannot see 23 channels between 200 and 300.

AAL MY FAVORITES.  AAARRRHhhhh.... urge to K***.

Is my box 'obsolete"?

Seems to work sometimes if I 'pull the plug and wait 10 minutes..

Seriously thinking of dumping all but phone, also expensive, and internet .