Channel, NextBox 3.0 Update and stopped working problems

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Channel, NextBox 3.0 Update and stopped working problems

I should have posted this awhile ago butnever thought of it.

Posting now, because I no longer want to be frustrate.

I have a NextBox 3.0 PVR. For about a year or maybe a year and a half I have been having problems with it. The channels will freeze, get choppy and then work again. (Doesn't matter what channel I am watching). The PVR will also update 3 or 4 times during the day for two days and that happens once a week. Then, the PVR will just stop working. I have had 3 technicians come 3 times to check the signal, the cable lines in and outside of the house anc check the PVR only to tell me that there is nothing wrong with the signal and that there is nothing wrong with the PVR but, they will swap it out anyway. They give me a new remote, program the remote and tell me it is the remote.

I have talked to Tech Support so many times that they are probably fed up with me but, that is just too bad. Tech Support tells me that there is nothing wrong with the PVR or the signal but they will still send out a technician.  I have had the 3.0 PVR swapped out 3 times and the problem persist. The technicians have to come out every 6 months because of the problem with the PVR and the problem is never resolved.

I was on the phone with Tech Support, LiveChat with Tech Support and other people from Rogers only to have them not hear me or listen to me. The insist it is not the PVR and that it is the signal.  Today, I have a technician coming to check the signal. I also have another technician bringing me the 4K PVR because none of the stores where I live I have them and they have been waiting two weeks for them and I am told that they can't order them.  The stores just have to wait for a shipment to come in.  I talked to a total of 7 Rogers agents in a day and a half. I have had no cable for going on 2 1/2 days. Understandably, I am frustrated.

***EDITED LABELS***

Adrienne McGill
Brantford, Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Channel, NextBox 3.0 Update and stopped working problems

That the PVR has been swapped.. really eliminates it from being the box.

The issues that you have described.. generally 9/10 times, would be signal related.

Now, is it intermittant?  That it could be having an issue at one time.. but when the tech comes, the issue isnt happening?  The signal may look fine at that time.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Agreed.  Here's my post on the topic:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Intermittent issues are the most difficult to solve. There is a link in my post where you can check the signal yourself when it happens.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hello,

There was a signal problem and it was fixed in my area. 

No that was not the problem. 

It turns out that every box I got would only work for 6 months and then suddenly crash and completely stop working.  This happened with every 3.0 I got every 6 months for about a year and a half.

The box finally just would not turn on no matter what I did. Yes, the box would not even power on with the power button.

So, I will tell you right now, that I kept getting faulty refurbished 3.0's.

The fact that no one really listened to me, jumped to the same conclusion as the Rogers techs, etc. Just tells me that money does all the talking and that everyone is a puppet and does what they are told without thoroughly investigating like I did.

I could have argued with you but, I did not.

I am tired of puppets and the puppetmaster that pulls the strings.

I am tired of being treated like I am stupid and a dumb woman.

Especially when I know a lot more about technical stuff, computers, etc. than most people.

The next time, you decide to respond to someone's problem or question please be advised that you need to do a lot more research.

Adrienne McGill
Brantford, Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Renny wrote:

The next time, you decide to respond to someone's problem or question please be advised that you need to do a lot more research.

Please be advised that this is a peer-to-peer forum and that the people who responded to your original post are customers, just like you.  We provided you with the best information that we have and we cannot be responsible for the exceptional case that you seem to be.  Smiley Wink

I've Been Here Awhile

I am not an exceptional case at all. 

I just know how to eliminate all possible scenarios to discover the real problem.

Not all people do that.

They jump to conclusions like a lot of people do.

Then they give what they think, feel and believe is the best advice and solution.

Me, on the other hand, would respond by asking some questions, waiting for the answers to those specific questions and think before I wrote and spoke.

I am constantly helping people with computer, internet and tablet problems.

I do some thinking, research, etc before I give any advice about a problem that I have never experienced before.

I also do some research, eliminate possibilites, etc before I try to fix the problem or call someone or contact tech support about the problem.

Not everyone does that.

I am not making a judgement call on anyone.

Just telling you what I would do and what others "should" do before responding to someone with advice, suggestions or solutions.

Adrienne McGill
Brantford, Ontario
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Renny

In the end everyone is able to respond to others giving their advise and opinions on the matter and try to help. Again this is a peer to peer forum which as @57 said, we are all customers just like your self and we do the best to help everyone out. If you do not like the help or suggestions someone is giving u, then don't take it and wait until someone else comes along and see if they can. Not everyone will go beyond them selfs to figure out a issue for someone else. They do their own research for their own issues. Not everyone will have knowledge of everything but they do their best to help others out as much as they can with what they know.

@57 posted a link with a issue and even said it's a issue that is difficult to solve. Unfortunately we and does not have access to tech support or can go around the issue and fix it... My friend is having the same issue and read the link posted. He has now been able to figure thing out and may not he solved but took the advice and worked on it.

Hopefully you are able to get the help u need and if it's not on here, then I hope u get it through Rogers or whatever means u can. Again please be advised this is a peer to peer forum and it doesn't matter on how u do things ur self, it's how users help others users here. They might not get the answer they want to hear but whatever help they get, is the help we all as customers can give out to help out.

Take care.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Renny wrote:

I am not making a judgement call on anyone.

Your previous post could not have been construed as anything else.

We provided you with information that is correct in most instances and asked questions in post 2 and a link in post 3. You went away for a month and didn't respond to those questions/suggestions or provide feedback in any way. A month later you post about how great you are and how poor the feedback here was.  I'm sorry we didn't meet your expectations!

Since you seem to be quite knowledgeable, you should know that when the same thing happens to many different boxes, then the boxes may not be to blame in the end. Sometimes it's a poor ground or power surges, or some other factor in the home that's causing the boxes to fail.  Granted, like the signal strength recommendation, that again may only be correct 9 times out of 10, so now we're down to very small percentates where many different boxes fail in the same location for some unknown reason.  That, I call, exceptional.  You can call it whatever you like.

Edit - do you have the PVR plugged into a UPS?

I've Been Around

I have a Nextbox 3.0 pvr that refuses to update meaning that I no longer have access to On Demand features so I can't see past programs and also the ability to rent movies from Rogers (their loss).  A tech has been out to check signal strength and all is OK.  Problem is apparently with the box itself which Rogers apparently knows about.  If I went to Ignite TV I wouldn't have a problem but I am very happy with the Legacy version of Rogers.  My question is whether there is any way to reactivate the box (rebooting does not solve the problem) so updates for "On Demand" can occur?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@normsmith : Even though the signal has been checked, most of these issues are indeed signal related (especially the return signal when trying to use On-demand).  I suggest you call to get the signal checked again, and/or check the signal yourself and/or ask for second level to see if they can see any issues with On-Demand.  Are you getting any error messages, or simply not able to access OD?  Here's a post on signal issues, how to check, etc:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...