Channel Listing of Subscribed Channels

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Channel Listing of Subscribed Channels

Yes, if Rogers has the data field definitions, the location of the databases that contain the channel and station name information, along with the fact that our actual channel assignments are available somewhere in our account profiles, otherwise, they could never create the guide with the subscribed channels on the Nextbox.

So dig out the data field definitions, the database routines and API's and routines being used to integrate these two sets of database information (I can't believe that they created the original list PDF for all channels by package manually, but then again, maybe they did, nothing would surprise me), but more likely, they have a linked file of packages, linked to the appropriate channels and station names that show the data by package, and there must also be the linkage between customer account data, channels purchased and packages (grandfathered or not) available.  So dig out the information, the specifications, the location of databases, and hand them over to a programmer (yeh, it should be able to be done by one), and the cost/benefit for customer satisfaction with be very high on the benefit side.  In particular since Navigtr has stripped out so much information on the information on time of day, channel information, etc, that this would be greatly appreciated while they get it implemented in Navigtr.

This is a pretty basic database querry - the data is already there for channel, station name, and package linkage for the report or file generation, and to add the client configuration of channels should also be a no brainer either.

I used to run a department in a health service department and we used to create about 3 of these one off querries per week, then would build a graphical interface with every new routine, with built in user security so they could repeat them and modify their data requests.

This one is really a no brainer for someone who knows the data structures and datafiles, and how to create a secure link between the files and creating the temporary report or file in HTML 5 and other program routines that we can use.  It is just adding a data querry and report file generation of this data for the customer on their MYROGERS account.

And it can easily be used to create the views for changes in packages as things happen for new customers, or current subscribers who just want to look at different packages.  You are going to have to build this when things go pick and pay, so why not do it now?   We have at least given you the model to do it, and it really is not a huge task, depending upon how well the person you hand it to knows all the data files and definitions, the related program routines and API's and the documentation of how each database works.

But I am making an assumption that documentation is easily available.  From past experience, I am not sure, but here's hoping that it is there and that some level of priority will be made - it is an important tool and piece of information for all cable shoppers, consumers, and current customers, and has been seriously lacking for a few years.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR  As you will notice in my related post, they can even create these lists individually by accessing the subscription data that is fed to the set top box, or to our analogue to digital basic VIP or other packages, and linking them together in the cable section of the MYRogers.  But by package and area would be a great start.

Bruce

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Mediaman wrote:

I updated my list (VIP Ultimate with TMN):

MY CHANNELS BY NUMBER
MY CHANNELS BY NAME

How did you create these lists?

@mfait wrote:

@Mediaman wrote:

I updated my list (VIP Ultimate with TMN):

MY CHANNELS BY NUMBER
MY CHANNELS BY NAME

How did you create these lists?

@mfait -

1. I went to rogers.com web site, then Shop, and selected the TV drop dropdown.
  2. I went to the Channels Tab - at the bottom of that page there is a link called "Find my channel lineup".
  3. I filled in province and city and that brings up a small window.
  4. From there, a Select All allows you do grab the data. I threw into into Excel to clean it up.
  5. I then brought it into MS Access where ,going forward, I would consider it as my master list ( not wanting to repeat the above steps again)
  6. Once in MS Access, I can filter out the channels I dont want to see ( eg music etc) and flag my subscribed/unsubscribed channels. For the latter, if I recall, I sat in from of the TV with a marked up copy, to confirm my subscribed channels. At the time the unsubcribed ones were greyed out on screen. Now you can filter on screen. Either way, I  flagged it accordingly in the database.
  7. As required, I edit the list when I am aware of new/revised  channels, etc. or an error on the list.
  8. I built basic queries to sort the data by channel and by name.
  9. I built basic 4 column reports.
  10. I built basic macros to export them to PDF, so going forward I can make my edits and reproduce the PDFs with one click.

See how easy Rogers makes it for you?

I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks for the detailed explanation, @Mediaman. I thought as much, seeing you'd used MS Access from the PDF's. It's clearly beyond anyone who does not have all that software and the skills to use it.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Thanks for the detailed explanation, @Mediaman. I thought as much, seeing you'd used MS Access from the PDF's. It's clearly beyond anyone who does not have all that software and the skills to use it.

For those who can get to as far as a clean flat excel listing of their subscribed channels and want to send it to me, I can run it through and produce the PDFs for you.  Feel free to PM me.

If I get a handful of requests, my pleasure to help.  If I get overwhelmed with requests, I will pass them onto Rogers !! 

@Mediaman wrote:

@OLDYELLR wrote:

For those who can get to as far as a clean flat excel listing of their subscribed channels and want to send it to me, I can run it through and produce the PDFs for you.  Feel free to PM me.

If I get a handful of requests, my pleasure to help.  If I get overwhelmed with requests, I will pass them onto Rogers !! 

So the "My Channels" are by city!

I thought it would be a list of the ones I subscribe to!

I'm a Senior Advisor

@mfait wrote:

No, those are Mediaman's personal lists of channels, which he spent time compiling.  Rogers would provide this kind of channel number listing, but stopped. If you would like Rogers to get back on the job call them and insist you want the listings back. They'll probably tell you how to find all the channels by NAME for your package and ALL the channels AVAILABLE by NUMBER in your area, but that's not what you want.

@mfait wrote:

The concept of "My Channels" is what you thought, ie a list of the channels a user subscribes to. Rogers does not provide this, you need to do it yourself.

All Rogers does is provide a listing, by city, of the full channel lineup for that city, regardless of whether you subscribe to  those channels or not.

All I did was take one of those lists, for my city, and filter it down to the channels I subscribe to.  

The intent now is for users who want a list like My Channels, to request Rogers to provide something similar, and make it available under under My Rogers.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Mediaman wrote:

The intent now is for users who want a list like My Channels, to request Rogers to provide something similar, and make it available under under My Rogers.

@Mediaman I have taken the liberty of suggesting this idea in Idea Box. Have a look under New Ideas and add any comment you feel appropriate.

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats
  • 41 replies
  • 14 Likes
  • 14 in conversation