Channel Listing of Subscribed Channels

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Channel Listing of Subscribed Channels

@Nick_W

Your right, these lists that Rogers currently provides on channel listings are basically useless unless you have the time to work through them, and you could then sit at your tv and match up the channel numbers.

This is the same model that all the service providers are doing - basically, it makes it pretty much impossible to compare channel mixes between companies, or older packages, like VIP and others - packages have changed, who knows how many times in the last year or so.

But fortunately, for you and others, although Rogers has declined to comment, or do anything like this, no matter how many times it has been raised (do, as a new member of the forum, send a concern using the contact section in MyAccount online - and oh by the way, welcome)

See these link for a PDF prepared by robindp, who has done a lot of this work, along with some others. Some of these links are to a page on a thread, so read through the posts to find what you need.

But I have given you some of the useful links.

Also, if you just search the forum for channel listings, you will find quite a few threads.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

That list you will find for Brampton can be converted to an excel spreadsheet or other spreadsheet (if you don't have Excel, then consider openoffice, or google sheets in the google apps offered with Google plus membership - no cost for either.

Robindp has provided a link in that post for his stored pdf, doc, and spreadsheet files. For Brampton.

He posts a link at https://youtu.be/YkYNLmuER9o to see a Utube video which will show you how to create your own unique listing.  You may have to ultimately tweak it a bit to match your current package, as these lists are for the new packages only.

There was a full spreadsheet for the whole province - 110 pages long as it lists every area in Ontario - available at https://www.rogers.com/cms/rogers/page-specific/tv/channels/pdf/rogers-tv-lineups-ON.pdf  Download it before it disappears.  There is a link in the Rogers pages, or at least there used to be for it.  I can't find it anymore.  Again, thanks to robindp for that link.

If you go to this thread, http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/page/6/...  you will see some models where people have created lists for Brampton and some other areas and provide a model to follow for creating your own versions in a PDF, or Excel or CSV file.

@robindp  I have lost tract of the various places we have put these lists, could you possibly point @Nick_W in the right direction. I think I have given him the most important ones.  Side note, I will sit down and do my area for my subscription over the holidays during a quiet stretch - I haven't been sleeping anyway.

But Nick, you have the same conern and issue that Rogers does not make it easy for us to view what channels we have, or to locate them by channel, or to make ourselves a reference sheet like we used to all use.

I just today, went in and hid all the channels that are duplicates, or I don't subscribe to, left in the Stingray for now, but would remove most of those too, and left radio stations, again, would remove some of those two, as I only only understand English.  I probably missed some of the multicultural channels, and possibly some of the duplicates - I left in the time shifts, but there is a set of residual channels that are pure duplicates now, as they used to have SD channels down in the lower channel lists, and the HD versions way up the list, sometimes way up in the 500's.  But now almost all of those stations are HD only.

I ended up with 295 visible channels and I haven't removed all of the unsucribed ones, so that number would certainly be lower.  - So we have a box that shows close to 999 channels, of which less than 300 are of any use to me, and I can assure you I don't use all of these either, and without easy lists of channel numbers and stations, you are right, who has the time for it.

Hope some of this is helpful.  You can send a concern to Rogers under MyAccount, contact section, and add your concern along with others.  It has been said before, but doesn't hurt to say it again.

Oh by the way, welcome to the forums, wish we had better news for you on this one, but all of us except for moderators on this forum are just users/consmers like you who enjoy helping others.  For now, these lists are the best we can do for you.

Welcome and hope you can create or find a relavent list for your needs.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nick_W wrote: Now it's impossible to get a simple listing to find out what number a channel is.

Whenever I can't remember what channel a particular network is on, I use the AnyPlace app on my computer or tablet:

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/anyplace-tv/410?setLanguage=en

I search for the network - for example - PBS - click on one of the programmes and it shows a variety of channels for that programme.  (163, 525, 61, 532, 164).  Not only does it provide this information, but if you seach for the particular programme you're looking for, you can also easily set the recording via AnyPlace on the channel and at the time you prefer.

I'm not saying that Rogers shouldn't be able to provide you with your own channel list, but AnyPlace is extremely helpful in the absence of that list.

If it's a channel that I will likely be watching in the future, I'll add the channel to my favourites on the PVR.  I have about 30 channels in my favourites list and I don't know the channel number of quite a few of them.  I simply go to my favourites list by repeated presses of the "Guide" button.

I Plan to Stick Around

The problem is that I'm not looking for an interactive channel list, just a plain list.

I'm using a home automation system, which allows you to choose a channel (say CTV) by various means (voice interface for one), it then looks up the number of the channel, and changes channel.

It used to get the list of names/channels from the Rogers web page (as Rogers changes things around randomly).

Now, that doesn't work. If rogers had a web page where you could GET a channel name (with say inline Province, region, city, type etc), and it would return a channel number, or list of numbers (HD, SD whatever) - that would be fine.

They don't, all they have is "sales" pages with icons and stuff that are impossible to parse, unlike a plain listings.

Please, Rogers, make it simple! enough with the complications!

I'm a Senior Advisor

Nick_W wrote: 
If rogers had a web page where you could GET a channel name (with say inline Province, region, city, type etc), and it would return a channel number, or list of numbers (HD, SD whatever) - that would be fine.

They don't, all they have is "sales" pages with icons and stuff that are impossible to parse, unlike a plain listings.

Please, Rogers, make it simple! enough with the complications!

Good luck with that. Rogers stopped publishing lists of channel NUMBERS you receive years ago and we can't seem to perswade them to bring those back.  But if you have Rogers Cable, you can  see them on the IPG, or on the Guide channel (Ch 10 for me) with the digital adapter.  Or you can go to the Zap2it listings. http://tvschedule.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCGrid.do?aid=tvschedule

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

I managed to implement a new way of scraping their complicated web page (with a backup file), as it'll probably break the next time they change their web page.

I don't even want a list of the channels I subscribe to, just a list of the channels available in my area.

Why is a simple list so impossible?
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Nick_W  Why is it so complicated - technologically it isn't at all.  All that information will be sitting in a database that connects channels to channel numbers and to area, as well as to the customer - how do I know it exists - because I receive the channels I subscribe to as defined by my choices, packages, and area.

It is a simple matter of pulling this data and displaying it from a link on the web site.

They just have chosen not to make it simple to work with and to include the channel numbers.

We have asked enough times, they just won't do it for whatever reason.  It is not like we haven't asked.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR  Thanks for that link to Zap2it. That is great.  It also suggests to me something I have never thought of before.

There is an IPG guide provider like this or who ever provides it to Zap2it.  Rogers uses an IPG guide provider for the information to populate the show grid.  It is possible that Rogers doesn't even store any of this information in their systems anymore and would probably have to pay the IPG for making the lists available to other than the boxes.

This makes the most sense to me - it would mean that in the Roger's systems, they would have just one field that tracks the information, and they advise the IPG company if they decide to change the layout.

This is the only thing that makes any sense to me is that it all comes from from the IPG guide provider, and the Roger's systems store little information except for a link to the provider.   And they would then have to pay for each change and probably a licensing fee for number of boxes.

Just a guess - I like to think through the logic of why they "won't" do what theoretically is a technologically simple thing to do and the knowledge of data from the outside party makes the most sense.

If it is a money issue, this is Rogers and big business that we are talking about.  If it is running on a licensing model per box, and per each iteration on a web site, I would say money.

That probably makes sense why there is so little information  ever provided per area, and the channel numbers that differ per area and package.  Plus don't those pretty graphics look so much nicer than a table? Smiley Happy

Thanks for the link @OLDYELLR

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

Rereading all the posts again, I can now fully understand why @Nick_W needs this list.  Slick idea for the voice activation by channel and you are right, you would have been able to pull that from the web sites before they stopped doing it anymore. 

For the rest of us, we are just trying to make our lives a bit easier, and that doesn't seem to be a goal of Rogers.

So for now, we are basically stuck with creating and changing the lists on our own.

But at least, once you have the first one made, you only have to deal with changes as they come, which once your package is in place, they don't change up that much, only if you change the package.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@BS wrote:

@OLDYELLR  Thanks for that link to Zap2it. That is great.  It also suggests to me something I have never thought of before.

There is an IPG guide provider like this or who ever provides it to Zap2it.  Rogers uses an IPG guide provider for the information to populate the show grid.  It is possible that Rogers doesn't even store any of this information in their systems anymore and would probably have to pay the IPG for making the lists available to other than the boxes.

This makes the most sense to me - it would mean that in the Roger's systems, they would have just one field that tracks the information, and they advise the IPG company if they decide to change the layout.

In my opinion, the Zap2it guide provider is better than whet Rogers uses. For example, I have scheduled recordings for various series and the "New" tag isn't always reliable, so I go to Zap2it and I can see for sure if a program is a repeat and even when it was first shown. The descriptions are also better. Rogers customers have long complained about the poor descriptions.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR  I was looking at the Telus listings and it appears they are using the Zap site for their listings.  I really like the details for sure - so nice to be able to see a full description, not truncated at 1 1/2 lines.

Again, thanks so much for this link - It makes me think that Rogers long standing marketing of being leaders in technology, is becoming questionable in so many ways.

Oh well, I have a cleaner way to look for my shows between this site Zap and the anywhere TV.

Have a good holiday everybody, Bruce

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 41 replies
  • 14 Likes
  • 14 in conversation