Channel 33 freezes periodically

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Channel 33 freezes periodically

Hi,

I have called Rogers regarding this issue in the past several times. My problem is that Channel 33, CNN, periodically freezes. Due to the annoyance, we watch CNN on the non-HD channel 183.

These issues have been going on for more than a year, we are considering changing our equipment supplier. That may involve a change of service providor.

*Edited Labels*

*Separated Internet Issue*

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Channel 33 freezes periodically

This sometimes happens if the signal strength for that particular channel is low.  Check the signal strength in your home and in your neighbourhood by calling Rogers - they can check it remotely.  Make sure they're checking the correct box by providing them with the serial number.  See the following post regarding Signal Strength.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

I'm not sure if this also is having an effect on your VOIP.

Note that the front-line CSRs are often not very capable, so ask to speak to second level if you cannot get satisfaction. Or PM Community Helps - link below:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/1446984

Or use "live chat"...

I Plan to Stick Around

We did call them, they did check the signal strength. They said, give us a few days to fix it. We are also having an issue with the recordings (lots of them come out a mess, corrupted). They sent a Rogers technician about a year or so ago, and we talked to them twice since (two different occasions). The VOIP (even-though it coincides with the wired LAN going down) is more difficult b/c two different companies. We are thinking we just need a new Rogers modem and a newer generation Nextbox (have the first gen. 8642HD re-circulated boxes).
I Plan to Stick Around

This issues are fixed 🙂

They upgraded the PVR from a nextbox 1 to a nextbox 3. The Rogers stores have great service, fantastic 🙂 The picture quality is better (resolution on some channels is better). The channels seem to no-longer freeze or glitch. Hopefully the recordings will not have periodic corruption like the old boxes.

The VOIP was also improved after I factory reset the Rogers gateway; put the VOIP adapter into the DMZ again and also set the adapter registration time (frequency) from 60s to once an hour (the voip company had also updated their server recently so, it was best to adjust settings to default). Everything seems to be fixed.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bmaschmeyer: Good to hear. Be aware that sometimes when you get a new box (NB3 instead of NB2) the issues can go away for a brief while.  However, if the signal strength in your home or neighbourhood is low or marginal, the issue may return, per my previous post and link.

I Plan to Stick Around

Unfortunately you are correct. Father called me that all the issues, tv corruption, lan lines and voip going down, started again. For voip he keeps blaming Acanac (we used Primus and Vonage before, used VOIP for more than a decade) and the PAP2T however, it is probably all related to the signal, as you said. He is calling Rogers again. Regrettably, I am stuck in another city (where I go part-time to university).

I Plan to Stick Around

Issue fixed. Rogers technician, according to my father, installed a fancy-looking amplifier in the basement. The TV is working correctly now. Acanac phone, not at the moment but, Acanac is looking into it (48 hours). Might be a settings issue (started after they upgraded the server and changed to proxy to sub.acanac.com).

I've Been Here Awhile

Oct 9 2017

This has been happening to me for over 3 months and Rogers came out a week ago to try and fix the problem with no success...I changed the box with no luck.....have called the area supervisor from Wirecomm but am getting ignored

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@luv2talk:

I assume your post was moved to this thread.  Please see post 2 of this thread regarding signal strength. A poor signal is often the cause of such issues.  Also see posts 5, 6 for additional information.

I've Been Here Awhile

just called rogers and they will monitor CNN for 24 hours in the meantime it has been freezing from 11 37 pm till now 11.55 pm Oct 9 2017...its not the box as no other stations are affected