Channel 33 freezes periodically

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wferguson
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Channel 33 freezes periodically

I have the same issue and it only happens on channel 33. The last time it happened I did not catch it soon enough and it has left the cnn imprint on my OLED TV. Very disappointed with Rogers

RogersMaude

Hey @wferguson,

Welcome to the Rogers Community! Thank you for your post. We're saddened to see you're overall disappointed with Rogers but we certainly want to help you resolve the issue you're experiencing with channel 33.

Could you specify the details of your current setup? For example, what type of cable subscription do you pay for and what's the hardware you have at home?

It would also be very helpful if you could elaborate on the troubleshooting steps you've performed so far and how long has it been since you noticed the issue.

Looking forward to your reply!

RogersMaude

wferguson
I'm Here A Lot

I have an internet/tv subscription with HD box. No troubleshooting is required as I see this is a recurring problem with Rogers and Channel 33 and I am left with a damaged TV. Happy to show one of your technicians 

RogersCorey

Hello @wferguson!

We would need to troubleshoot for the freezing issue on Channel 33 before we could send out a tech. Through our troubleshooting, we need to establish whether or not this is a localized issue that a tech could resolve. If it's an issue with the broadcast, it may be the case that we need to escalate a ticket instead but I can't determine that unless I do a little troubleshooting first.

As far as the image retention on your TV goes, I would recommend contacting your manufacturer for further assistance with that. Your TV should have came stock with power saving options to turn it off before any image retention or burn in would happen. Your manufacturer may have further recommendations on steps you can take.

Our Ignite TV service also has power saving options built-in to turn off the box if it sits idle too long, which would also help to hedge our bets against image retention in case there's an issue with the TV power saving settings.

I personally would not recommend leaving those news channels with banners on 24/7. There is an inherent risk of image retention or burn in due to the static nature of those banners.

If you would like our assistance on this, please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

wferguson
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for nothing, pass the buck on something that is obviously your doing. I have my business, internet, cell and other services with Rogers and this is how you deal with customer complaints. Poor Shaw customers

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A channel freezing may be related to a poor signal in your home or neighbourhood.  Check your signal and/or contact Rogers to have them check it.  They can do this remotely and also check your neighbourhood. Here's a post on that topic.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...

I developed the following FAQ on Burn in years ago when it was more of an issue due to lots of 4:3 programming:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/faq-burn-in-break-in.21270/#post-167486

I've updated it over the years, but there are a few takeaway points:

1. If you have a susceptible TV don't leave it on any channel like CP24, CNN, etc that has consistent static images.

2. A few hours, even days of static image will not cause burn in. What may happen is you can have image retention which will go away after a while (days, weeks).

3. You simply cannot blame Rogers, or the broadcaster for this issue. It falls on you to ensure that you don't continuously have a static image like say CP24 on a susceptible TV.

wferguson
I'm Here A Lot

Look I don't leave my TV on 24/7. The screen froze and I was only way from the TV for an hour. This is a Rogers Problem with Channel 33 as per previous posts from other customers. I can see I will get no satisfaction from Rogers. I could go on but why bother.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If it was only an hour, you don't have burn in.  We have posted several tips earlier in this thread regarding signal level and other items. It's your choice if you wish to take advantage of that information.  Not everyone is having these issues, so it's specific to your home or neighbourhood.  You may check the signal yourself, and/or contact Rogers in the usual ways, and/or you may PM the mods here who can look into the signal.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Rogers-Community-Forums-Blog/Get-to-know-your-Community-How-To...

There is a slight possibility it's something to do with your Rogers box, but that's usually not the case, especially if you don't see the issue on other channels.

Edit: What is the exact make/model of the Rogers box?  If it's a PVR are you watching live or recorded/pause live TV?  In a PVR a faulty drive may cause issues, but it would be on random channels,.  That's sometimes difficult to pinpoint if a particular channel is on much of the time....

wferguson
I'm Here A Lot

Netbox 4642HD

If you check the history of my account you can see that the signal has previously been checked and I don't have an issue. I do not leave the TV on for extended periods of time and definitely have burn-in. I only connected Rogers as the source of the problem after I read posts of other Rogers Customers who had Channel 33 freezing. Don't try and tell me I am the only one. My TV is messed up and Rogers is the cause

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wferguson wrote:

1. Netbox 4642HD

2. If you check the history of my account you can see that the signal has previously been checked and I don't have an issue.

3. I do not leave the TV on for extended periods of time and definitely have burn-in.

4. I only connected Rogers as the source of the problem after I read posts of other Rogers Customers who had Channel 33 freezing. Don't try and tell me I am the only one. My TV is messed up and Rogers is the cause

1. Thanks. Not a PVR so no hard drive issue.

2. I'm not a Rogers employee, so I cannot see your account.  These forums are designed for peer-to-peer assistance.  The mods on this forum are Rogers employees, and they may be able to help as mentioned previously.  If the issue is intermittent, it can often be difficult to track down.

3. More likely image retention, however, you're entitled to your opinion.  An hour or two of CNN will not cause burn in as mentioned previously.  (I optimized home theatres for over a decade during the first years of HDTV when 16:9 CRTs and Plasmas were encountering burn in, especially from "black bars" on 4:3 programming.)  I also owned a CRT-based RPTV and Plasma TV for over 15 years.

4. People on Shaw Direct satellite service have also had issues with CNN, audio and video, so it's not limited to Rogers although the Rogers box may handle issues differently.  I don't watch CNN enough to be able to comment personally.

5. Tip: If you're going to be away from the TV for a while and don't wish to turn it off, you can tune to a channel like 950 which has no signal on it.  I do this all the time.