Changing Remote Address and disable whole house DVR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Changing Remote Address and disable whole house DVR

I have a PVR 3.0 and just added a HD terminal.  They are both in the same room since the HD terminal was added just for remote viewing with my Slingbox, and this is the only cable input I have.  I have 2 issues; the first is my PVR remote is controlling the HD terminal and vice versa.  I simply want to change the remote address on the PVR so it will only control the PVR terminal.  Second, if someone goes to the PVR recordings, it is showing up on the HD terminal. I am guessing that this is part of the whole house PVR.  I simply want both boxes in the same room to be completely independent of each other.  I had a tech come out, and he said its not possible, which I find hard to believe. 

Thank you.

**** Edited Labels ****

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Changing Remote Address and disable whole house DVR

@angiodan wrote:

I have a PVR 3.0 and just added a HD terminal.  They are both in the same room since the HD terminal was added just for remote viewing with my Slingbox, and this is the only cable input I have.  I have 2 issues; the first is my PVR remote is controlling the HD terminal and vice versa.  I simply want to change the remote address on the PVR so it will only control the PVR terminal.  Second, if someone goes to the PVR recordings, it is showing up on the HD terminal. I am guessing that this is part of the whole house PVR.  I simply want both boxes in the same room to be completely independent of each other.  I had a tech come out, and he said its not possible, which I find hard to believe. 

Thank you.

**** Edited Labels ****

1.  In order to do this, you're going to need at least one "Champion" remote (the one that lights up - you'll need one because it is RF capable.  If you don't have one, take an older remote to your nearest Rogers store and they'll swap it out for you free of charge)

What you're going to do is control the 3.0 via RF instead of IR.  To do this, see:

http://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/program-your-remote-to-work-with-devices/navigatr-rf-...

Once that's done, cover the 3.0's IR port with some electrical tape.  Use the RF remote to control the PVR, and the IR remote to control the other box.

2.  IS there a particular reason you want the box to be completely independent?  Is the WHPVR setup interfering with the operation of the Slingbox?  All WHPVR does is allow the terminal to see the harddrive of the PVR - the terminal doesn't stream live TV from the PVR.  Other than being able to read the PVR's hard drive, the terminal is basically independent.

I've Been Here Awhile

1.Thanks for the remote help. I'm not at home at the moment, but I'm guessing I cant' use the HD terminal remote since it is not RF capable.  Shouldn't the tech have known to do this?

2. I was watching remotely with the Slingbox, then I could see my wife bring up the PVR recordings, and the program she chose to watch was now what I had to watch on my HD terminal and Slingbox .  This is why I assumed the terminal is connected with the PVR.  I don't need to see my PVR with the slingbox.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well that would be more that when she was using the other remote, it was bringing stuff up on the PVR.. but was controlling that box as well, bringing that stuff up.

Doing as Lurker said, and changing the one remote on the PVR, should eliminate this issue.

Beyond that.. you should be fine without any other work.  Yes, the regular box may be able to see the PVR contents.. but if you dont press the LIST and go into it, you'll never see it, etc.
Would be more hassle to exclude it.. as would require a tech visit out, etc likely to change cabling, install a filter, etc.