Changes to Digital TV Channel Packages?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: Changes to Digital TV Channel Packages?

I have also noticed a few other oddities. AMC, a very popular channel, has also been removed from ALL packages. It is now only available as a standalone or in a Theme Pack? At the same time, BookTelevision is now included in all 3 packages when previously it was a standalone or part of a Theme Pack. Once again I ask how this meets the changing needs of customers? Is BookTelevision now more popular than AMC? The logic behind moves like this is sheer lunacy. Also, why is the Documentary Channel included in the Select and Popular packages but NOT the Premier package? This makes no sense at all!! All I can do now is shake my head at rogers while I contemplate (perhaps an early one) a switch to Bell. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@ReneHache wrote:

It seen to me that Rogers could be try to get rid of the 3 major packages and want people to have Starter and themes pack. With the heavy reduction of channels in the 3 major package it look like the Starter + themes pack seen to be the best option.

The starter +themes won't work.i tried to change to starter+6 themes+2 standalones+super sports pack and they wouldn't do it. I think there nuts

I Plan to Stick Around

@phil57 wrote:

The starter +themes won't work.i tried to change to starter+6 themes+2 standalones+super sports pack and they wouldn't do it. I think there nuts

That doesn't make any sense, I thought Starter was made to allow customer to customize there tv experience. Unless Starter is only available to new customer and not existing ones.

I guest I better not make changes to my account if I don't want to loose all the channels I watch. Right now the only channels I will loose on 01 jan is Stingray Juicebox, Vibe and Loud (I never had Retro for some reason, I wish I did)...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The problem with when a cable company keeps changing their packages, it creates a lot of excess work, programming, scripting and administration in the back, they have to still maintain the old packages in their system because people may still be subscribed to them. They also have to educate the Call Centre staff that if someone has an older grandfathered package and goes to a Newer one they can not go back,  they also have to educate the call centre staff to learn the differences between each packages so when someone calls in they can understand and handle the calls a bit better.  so when someone says im missing this channel, the rep would first see that "oh you are on this package" the channel no longer exists in that package" etc,  you know?

And another huge complaint is channel listings for the current and grandfathered packages, they need to make them available.  if they can do these things they would be a very good cable company in my eyes

I Plan to Stick Around

@Pauly wrote:

The problem with when a cable company keeps changing their packages, it creates a lot of excess work, programming, scripting and administration in the back, they have to still maintain the old packages in their system because people may still be subscribed to them. They also have to educate the Call Centre staff that if someone has an older grandfathered package and goes to a Newer one they can not go back,  they also have to educate the call centre staff to learn the differences between each packages so when someone calls in they can understand and handle the calls a bit better.  so when someone says im missing this channel, the rep would first see that "oh you are on this package" the channel no longer exists in that package" etc,  you know?

And another huge complaint is channel listings for the current and grandfathered packages, they need to make them available.  if they can do these things they would be a very good cable company in my eyes

I am on a old grandfathered  package and know i can't go back nor do i want to.I just want channels i want to watch but they won't do it. They need to get there act together because i will start over with someone else to get what i want.

I've Been Here Awhile

We renewed in Sept and still have all the channels however when our term is up (suppose to be a two year deal) I'm guessing we will be moving on unless Rogers grows a brain between now and then (not likely), they should just get to the point and call these the new "Bend over" packages Smiley Mad

I'm a Senior Contributor

@leeanne172 wrote:

We renewed in Sept and still have all the channels however when our term is up (suppose to be a two year deal) I'm guessing we will be moving on unless Rogers grows a brain between now and then (not likely), they should just get to the point and call these the new "Bend over" packages Smiley Mad

We are in the same boat, having renewed for 2 years in October. These changes do not make any sense. Popular channels are being removed and being replaced with obscure channels. Canadian news channels like CBC News, CTV News, and CP24 have also been removed from all packages. The Canadian News theme pack is priced at $5 per month. American news channels like CNN and HLN have also been removed from all packages. There is now an American News theme pack for $10 a month. Oddly, Fox News is now standard with the Popular and Premiere packages. You are correct about what the name should be for the revised packages. 

I Plan to Stick Around

The packages have been changed .They look descent now. Something must have clicked in finally. Maybe i can deal with them now.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, I see that things are pretty much back where they were, but with bonus channel gone.

The US News followers will be displeased that Fox is now standalone or theme pack and CNN is in the popular and premier packages. 

It is nice that the really weird stuff pointed out like AMC gone and Book Channel in and a few other very strange mixes of channels between the packages.

But there is an interesting outcome from this "mistake", or trial balloon that seems to have popped and lost its air for now - stay tuned for future attempts I am sure - When I look over Starter and what we watch and there are some changes in the them Pack mixes and I could take my package to 24.99 (I don't need a box, I have one), + 41.00 in standalone and theme paks will meet our needs, as I don't need children's channels or sports channels.  Regular broadcast channels give me access to almost all sports I need and my key interest sports of cycling and snooker, I get on YouTube.

I wonder about the situation described where people were told they couldn't choose starter with a bunch of chosen theme packs and standalone channels - I reviewed all FAQ's on starter and marketing packages, and I see no limits on a customer's ability to do this.  I would suspect this would be a legitimate complaint to CCTC if pick and pay is being restricted.  The starter and packages is what drives the foundation of pick and pay, and then applies further up the channel packages.

Just wondering - time will tell.

This recent change, then change back doesn't seem to have been well thought out for sure.

On to next changes - model of pay more for less services, still seems to be the trend though.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't know what happened but i like it alot. Called again today to see about my starter + themes and totally different. I couldn't refuse the offer. Put me to premier +2 theme packs + 2 standalones+double internet speed to 150Mbps  for $10.00 more than i had for 2 years.They couldn't have done more. Everything i wanted and more. Go figure! Maybe it was the nice feedback i gave the other day.