Changes to Digital TV Channel Packages?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Changes to Digital TV Channel Packages?

I haven't done any calling to see what kind of package could be put together as I am happy with mine for now, but for those coming up on new packages, based upon posted prices, it reminds me of the decision of moving from VIP to Digital.

At least this time, I have a knowledge of my total preferred channel mix on Digital and it is easy to do the comparisons.

As mentioned earlier, dyest, it looks like about 10.00 per month higher than the previous packages.  I wonder if they would still discount me the box as I own mine.

At a glance, through the whole package and channels, I found that if I switched from my current popular/speciality package which was lited at 79.00, I lose basically all the channels from what used to be called the popular speciality package, which is on top of the popular package n my bill.  I found that I would have close to 40 channels disappear from my current channel list, and I would be looking at about 50.00 in speiciality packages. I already have 1 speciality pak and a channel and bonus channel and HBO stuff to meet our desires for tv.

They offer for 15.00 to move up to premium, but premium is also greatly reduced, and you even lose channels that are on popular or select.  Bottom line, it is a lot less channels for a little bit more, but if you want to stay status quo, it will be a big jump, unless they will be offering current customers a better deal than the public posted deal, which is often the case.

If you are looking to Rogers for a switch, or you are renewing with the new packages, then be prepared to spend a considerable amount of time to compare what you get now and what you will be getting.  In the past, I just said, ok, to stay status quo with what I currently have, how do we bundle stand alone channels, discount my owned box, and see what it takes to come to what you have.  Then you can begin to negotiate whether anything can be done, which will probably mean dropping channels, or maybe some discounts.  I know back in June when I did my last change from Premier to a lower priced smaller package, I did a chat, a FB message, then a phone call.  We had so many things changing and mix and match going on, that not surprisingly, errors were made, so document, document, document.  You get 3 months notice for current customers, so take your time and get it right.

For myself, to stay price comparable, I would be looking at letting sports and news (here is an interesting one in the mix - lots of Canadian News is gone CBC and CTV and CP-24 from the packages, but in the two lowest packages, you will get Fox News for all those who felt discriminated against because CNN was a bonus, Fox is now there in HD, and all other news channels are extra as stand alone or part of a theme pak).

I found that for us, it is actually a better deal to go with the Starter, use our existing box and get channels and theme paks to get our tv needs comparable with the drop out of those we don't watch and just putting back what we actually watch a lot (would be 2 paks and 1 channel), we would probably go Internet with a local provider for Internet we levels with unlimited at level we desire, and either just use our cell phones, or get a VOIP.

Or we just let cable go totally and go digital and OTT and change our current TV habits, which we already have - we don't watch speciality sports, TVO is not part of the regular packages - in an add-on, but it is available on-line or antenna, Crave is available by ordering it via OTT, lots of options out there.  And with each year that goes by, Rogers keeps taking more away from my services, charging more, and I have hung in cut back on services for lower prices, but they have squeezed us as far as we are willing to go.  As my wife said, depends upon what the competition does, that digital has to stay in same price range as Satellite and other options, so we will see if this dramatic change holds or not.  Next June, we see - for now I will go back to just watching what we have.

By the way, as a final point, it fits the M.O. of the last few years - we have seen VIP removed, more and more removed from the standard packages, the move to the one year discount model then start all over again, Bell has gone back to 2 years and tie it to the reduced install cost, then we have also seen other prices and packages changing, like Pay as You go services on phone, increase 500 data pakages to more than a higher data package price, take a look at stand alone telephone - who would buy it at that price?, increase in activation fees on phones to 35.00, increase in roam like home fees to name a few.

Prices are creeping up with Rogers right across the board, and often less services.  Strictly business is what I say, nothing to do with our desires or needs.  It is how much can they squeeze and keep us here or moving from other companies, along with pay for all the upgrading they are doing, which for us on lower end TV, on Digital, owning our own boxes, using lower end telephone services and products, and low end Internet services, all this upgrading doesn't mean anything to how I consume services. It is all still just a telephone, just TV, with some speciality interests added on, and pretty basic Internet.  I have no need for higher internet speeds, IPTV (Ignite TV or Fibe), my needs have not changed much in the last 10 years or so back when they made VIP packages such a great deal and I bundled.  But I am being priced out, and that is ok too.

I think I have been saying similiar for almost 4 years now since I ended up off VIP - an accidental change, I couldn't get backed out of, but the new changes served me well up until now. But every package was only 1 year.

Will see what happens next year - for now, I have what I have and will deal with what my budget and our desires are.

Best of luck to all with shopping for the best package and price for each individual person.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Contributor

@RogersLaura wrote:

Please note, we do tend to make changes or refresh our packages every so often to try and keep in line with our customers ever-changing needs!!

So by removing all of the Sportsnet and TSN channels from all 3 TV packages, you are keeping in line with your customers ever-changing needs? What? Your customers don't really need these channels any more but for those that want them, the only way to get them is with a Theme Pack? I have never read such nonsense from rogers in my entire life. Then you have the gall to charge another $25 a month for a "Sportsnet Plus & TSN Plus" theme pack - something that up until now had always been included in most of your TV packages? Wow rogers, just wow!!!

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm wondering if customers with the previous cable packages will be grandfathered like some were with their VIP packages

I'm a Senior Contributor

@sadchel wrote:

I'm wondering if customers with the previous cable packages will be grandfathered like some were with their VIP packages

I suspect they will. We just signed a new 2-year deal in October and there is no indication of any changes being made to our package. We are still getting all of the Sportsnet and TSN channels on our Premier package, along with our bonus channel. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

They had better, at not the after 1 year price, but closer to the discounted price, or I can definitely say, I will be out of here.  But one thing they did with VIP that if they do grandfather, wouldn't surprise me, is prevent us from choosing or changing our plans in any way at all - any component of the bundle, or in the case of VIP, they wouldn't allow any new add-ons.  We will have to see, my wife still says, she can't see this pricing model staying, or no question about it, depending what they are willing to offer to us at the end of June next year, we will be making the jump - for those of us on fixed incomes who have downgraded our services as far as we are willing, to take a change in service mix and price like this will lead us to just look to getting our entertainment and Internet.  I know Rogers would like to get us all up to Ignite, I am sure that this is part of that push, but I am not interested, until my box dies or they kill the service, or just make too expensive and low quality mix like we see here, I have no desire to change.

If I have to change, I will seriously think about a full dramatic change.  As I mentioned, Bell offered me a better deal than this new package mix just two weeks ago at my front door.  Only declined because it wasn't better than what I have until June.  My decision lies in Rogers hands.

Oh, forgot another factor, yes, stingray is reduced as of January, you can buy that as an addon too, they still provide local radio - I think that is still tied up into old legislation from decades ago, but they did used to charge a second outlet to have cable and radio receivers.  And let's also not forget for those of us still on BCB - we lose BCB next year too - that is worth almost 10.00 per month (not much), on our phones and the equipment and channel add-ons in our bundle.  That is another discount that has been nickeled and dimed over the years - I refused the rewards program when they first tried to get us to switch, at one point I had 20% on it, 15% for a stretch, always with my 3 core services, then they moved it to 12%, then to 8%, and in the past, if you decided to grandfather, you at least still had the BCB discount to apply to the new price at the end of discounts.

So we will have to see - and yes, 

"we do tend to make changes or refresh our packages every so often to try and keep in line with our customers ever-changing needs" is getting old and tired, in particular with this one - it was even on my bill this month for a few changes - "From time to time, we adjust our channel lineups to reflect the changing viewership trends of our customers".  I worked hard to develop the current mix of channels at a price I can afford two years ago in September, then again in June of this year - I have almost walked twice and they managed to pull together a mix that we were willing to stay with within our budget - the phrase, it is just 15.00 more per month doesn't work for us anymore, or 5.00 more when they tried to convince us to change our one phone with 500 mb to 2 Gb.  Most of my fixed income goes to our house, our car, our insurance, and our food - there is not much left over, everything else comes from what my wife can earn from her business which is seasonal.

So we will just have to see.  I will clam up now on this topic, just had to pop in, haven't conversed with @Dugi in a while - we go a ways back on similiar topics.  Just like old times, some things just don't change.

As people work with the new model, in the Lounge, let us know how it goes, and whether this change leads to you moving on.

And my best to all as you try to negotiate a model that fits your viewership wishes, not some arbitrary average of viewership trends, with no mention of also considering their ongoing need to keep cash flow up and dividends for shareholders.  They have a lot of investment in new projects over the last 4 years, some successful, some failures (Shomi for example and first crack at IPTV) and trying to stay competitive on the Internet side with the major competition across Canada.  And let's be honest, we are all paying for it, whether we actually use the new models, or even want it.

Life goes on.  Bruce 

I'm a Senior Advisor

We renewed in June and we didn't see any price changes or channel changes, and I didn't have to negotiate at all to keep my price and mix the same as the year before, even though the bill said we were looking at about 65.00 in price increases.  My current discounts are about 65.00 and I will have to do the phone dance again next June to see if it can stay close to the same.

Hopefully we do see grandfathering, and affordable pricing and not too many restrictions on what we can do once it comes time for each of us.

There is one thing that changing things every year has done is give me lots of patience at saying what I want, and seeing what they will give, and then I just sit on it for a few days and come back and say yeh or nay and say, not willing to go forward as presented, I have options in place to change, let's see what we can do together.  I just patiently listen, these days, it is their call whether they want to do something to keep me.  I am definitely a loyal customer, but at the end of the day, my budget defines it.  This current presented packaging, no way, but I have yet to ever pay the posted price in a long time when it came to renewal (change) time.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@BS wrote:

So we will just have to see.  I will clam up now on this topic, just had to pop in, haven't conversed with @Dugi in a while - we go a ways back on similiar topics.  Just like old times, some things just don't change.

Thanks for remembering me! I have pretty much remained off of this forum for awhile, except to check in occasionally. Seeing the new cable packages really intrigued me so I had to weigh in once again. I found it completely unconscionable that the only way to get TSN or Sportsnet now is to subscribe to one or more Theme Packs. The bulk of what I watch on TV is live sports and a few series which I record. Having rogers tell me that they changed the packages to meet my changing needs is downright dishonest. I am sure other sports fans would agree. Fortunately, we are good for almost 2 years. If this is not changed in that time, we will look at changing ourselves. Best to you @BS!

I Plan to Stick Around

As i stated before, i tried to change my programming to buy more and they wouldn't. I wanted about $40 more per month now and then about $40 more in the spring for baseball season .There is something wrong with your business plan when someone wants to buy $40-$80 more product per month and they won't. It is simply hard to get my head around it. I am currently looking at bell  (and i don't like them) to get what i want. Too bad,I've liked rogers too  but there in some other world now.

I've Been Here Awhile

I noticed this recently as well and finally had time to research and call Rogers yesterday.  An hour on the phone with no successful resolution on my end.  I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT EVERYONE SUBMIT A COMPLAINT TO THE CRTC.  I have while i was waiting for a resolution for an hour on the phone - all I was asking for was that I receive all the channels they advertise on their website for my package, which by the way does say a bonus channel and up to 4 cable outlets* with no explanation of the *.  However, you cannot even print this screen listing all the channels included in the package.  I did do some print screens though.

I Plan to Stick Around

@champagnekisses wrote:

However, you cannot even print this screen listing all the channels included in the package.  I did do some print screens though.

I have a add-on called Full Page Screen Capture for Chrome that allow full page screenshot. I have a screenshot of both old and new version of the Select/Popular/Premier packages for my area.

I must say, there seen to be a huge difference between versions, on the new one, both Select and Popular are almost identical and for Premier, there seen to be a very few new channel some are even removed/replaced from the Select and Popular. Unless the channel list is not fully updated, I'll check sometime in January to see if there's change.

It seen to me that Rogers could be try to get rid of the 3 major packages and want people to have Starter and themes pack. With the heavy reduction of channels in the 3 major package it look like the Starter + themes pack seen to be the best option.

I my case, I did a full channel scan on my box and see to change, I'm guesting that I'm now "grandfathered" the version 1 of my package (Popular). I will see what my next bill will say...