Cant Pause Live tv from 2nd HD Terminal?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Cant Pause Live tv from 2nd HD Terminal?

Just switch from Fibe TV where they know how to do the whole home setup. I now have Nextbox 3.0 with pvr upstairs and HD terminal downstairs. The HD terminal is not allowing me to pause and rewind live tv? Is this normal? This could be a deal breaker as Rogers doesnt seem to have this down pat yet.

Thanks

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Cant Pause Live tv from 2nd HD Terminal?

Correct, the rogers regular HD terminals, can not PAUSE live tv, even with the 'whole home' setup.

The reason being with this, is that each of the HD terminals, is doing its OWN TV tuning locally on that box.  For it to pause live TV, it would need its own storage there, etc (which is doesnt have)

All playback of recorded stuff, is done streamed... its sends its commands to the PVR box.

The bell fibe, is a little different on their HD boxes.

ALL TV, is streamed from the PVR box.. the units themselves do not have tuners in them.. so the PVR box is doing the tuning (per say.. as it doesn tune since its IP based) and sending that to the HD boxes.

The pausing on fibe would work, due to its having to control that feed from the PVR box, where the storage is anyways.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well thats a shame. Smiley Sad Rogers needs to step it up and figure out how to make it work. I used it quite a bit. Not sure I can go ahead with this service. Only reason I switched was Bell is taking their sweet time getting Fx and MLB Network.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its not necessarily a 'get it to work'  its how the hardware works currently.

Unless rogers switched to similar hardware as the bell stuff.. it wouldnt be possible.

I find i rarely ever 'pause' the live tv anymore 😛  if i want to do the pause so to speak, i usually just 'record' it.. do what i have to do, then come back (even if its like just 10 mins later) then start up the recording.
This at least, does work fromk the HD terminal.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I'm a bit confused. Is it just with the Nextbox3 and whole home set up with Rogers Fibe?  I have the HD-PVR 8642 (or whatever the number is) and I can pause and rewind live TV without having to set it to record.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jays77

He is talking about the 4642 HD only terminal, on say OTHER TV's in the house.

You can not pause the TV, with the whole home, or not, with the the 4642...

The 8642 (being a pvr) can.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Thanks. Still confused about much in life, but now a little less confused.
I Plan to Stick Around

Ya see as stated above with Fibe you can do everything the pvr can do. So basiclly the only option is getting another pvr if I really want to be able pause and rewind tv. 

I used to use it a lot of fibe for my own personal sport replays and watching a movie thats live on tmn for example.

I'm a Senior Advisor

So you answered your own question TorBall, you need a PVR instead of a plain STB to pause live TV.

But as was said, most people are no longer slaves to live TV and need to pause it to go to the fridge or bathroom. Other than casually watching the news, I record everything and watch it minutes or days later at my convenience, skipping the commercials.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, thats usually my wifes thing.

even if she is watching 'live' per say, at the time of airing.. she usually waits 10-15 mins into it, before starting the recording.. and then FF's through all the commericials.