Can't Pause, Fast Forward, etc With Nextbox

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Can't Pause, Fast Forward, etc With Nextbox

We just had our old Rogers PVRs replaced with Nextbox 2.0s as part of the whole home PVR solution. On the motherbox (our 3.0), everything works as normal. However, on our two 2.0s we cannot pause, fast forward, rewind, etc, live TV. The following error is briefly displayed:

"Performing trick plays (Play, Rewind, Fast Forward) on Live TV is not supported on this channel"

This occurs on all channels. It does not occur if watching a recorded show.

Any thoughts?

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Can't Pause, Fast Forward, etc With Nextbox

That's working as intended.

The remote boxes can access the pvr for playback of recorded content, and the features that go along with that.

But for live tv, it doesn't have access to the pvrs recording capability. To do the pause of live tv, you need to have a pvr at that location.

I've Been Around

I just had my rogers set up on the weekend. I came over from Bell Fibe which has the whole home PVR, and every receiver is connected and has access to the same funcitonality as the PVR, there is no need for multiple pvr's in the house. This is very disappointing
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There was another thread on this which explained it, but i will repeat it here.

The problem in, lies how the boxes actually work, and get their TV.

The Bell system works, as the PVR is the unit which is getting ALL the tv signals, and it then just streaming them to the other boxes.  Because its all going through the PVR, it allows that PVR functionality to the other boxes.

Fibe is also useing a IP based stream.

The rogers whole home, is different.   Only PVR playback, it handled on the PVR.

All channel watching is controled/run LOCALY on the local box, not through the PVR.

Since there is no drive, etc on the local box.. its cant pause, etc.

So in the end, its unfortunately a limiation of the hardware type setup.

Only advantages are... that if the PVR box stops working on rogers.. the other other boxes will still have TV just fine (where as bell they would not)...and that its not internet reliant.. your net can go down at the house, but the TV still work fine (as they run on different frequencies).

It would not suprise me that in the near future, that rogers does more move over to an IP based solution.. which then may allow some more of the same things.   They likely will just need a newer HD receiver box (to go along with the NB3), as the current one is the same age as the nextbox2 (there isnt a newer one made by cisco yet).

I've Been Around

Okay... here's a wrinkle on the problem: I am getting that same message and I only have one box in the house and it IS a PVR.

Retired Moderator RogersGabrielle
Retired Moderator

Good Afternoon @DeweyQ,

Are you still having the same issues with your box? Did you try rebooting your box?

@RogersGabrielle

I've Been Around

I as well should have did my homework (at least on the TV Part). Recently left our friends at BELL do to extremely bad customer service and a few minor hiccups with BELL Fibe.  I already had 5 cell phones on the rogers plan and felt that exploring the whole ROGERS 5 service, whole home bundle, made sense. ( Cell Phones, TV, Home Phone, Internet and Home Security system ) 8 Receivers/TV's in 8 different rooms with Rogers ( where I had a limit 6 with BELL so I was excited that I could go back to 8 tv's again-(I used to have the older Rogers cable with no limit) 

Key things that Sales don't tell you.  (my 6 hour installation occured on October 5th)

1- This is VERY different technology when it comes to Devices

2- First thing installer says when he opens the front door. " This NEW technology requires a DEDICATED cable outlet for the Equipment. NO TV/RECEIVER CONNECTED TO THAT OUTLET AT ALL. Throws a bit of a wrinkle at you when you have a TV in each room with only 1 outlet the builder installed. Remember, with BELL Fibe all you need is a 120v plug, and the TV can be located anywhere. After contimplating where the equipment was going to be, the option now to drill a whole through the side of my house and running a new dedicated wire seemed to be the only one. A smart installer ( Brett ) figured that their must be a wallplate with a hidden connection in behind for cable just due to the amount of wires in my closet. After removing several phone wall jacks ( that were Phone only, he found 1 that had a cable TV Connection in behind. No drilling required thank god.

3- He then goes to the truck and pulls out the new receivers ( which are NOT new, refurbished of course ) and they are HUGE, Bulky and Heavy HD Receivers. Literally take up a ton of space. I can fit 4 BELL Fibe receivers in the same space as 1 Rogers box. I am now in the process of modifying my installation in every room to accomodate these "Monster Boxes". PAIN in the but!   Sales does not tell you about the size of the boxes.

4- So now we are installed and up and running ( except for the 8th receiver that was negotiated, but not delivered on the order ( sales put down 7 instead of 8 and is now scrambling to get me the 8th at no charge, and the replacement for one of the refurbished unit that doesn't work).  So now I comment on Subject matter. Comfortably watching the Blue Jays playoff game and needed to take a call. I reach for the receiver to pause the game ( like I did with BELL ) and it wouldn't pause. I thought I was losing my mind. I now learn that you can't pause live TV. You can only do this for recorded programs. So live and learn I guess. Not the end of the world I guess but when sales convinces you that the technology is far superior then Bell and that all of the features will compare to Bell, it's not true. The old expression.."I can do everything you can do but better..." is not the case. I guess I was expecting newer technology when the rest of the world gets smaller and faster....I feel like I am going backwards.

5- Programming..Still need to navigate through the "premium" package and all the new channels I received with my "just need to have sports stuff". Seems to be ok but scrolling through the Guide can be a long  process and the speed of the Guide is only running on 1 piston! Be patient. Punching in the numbers twice because nothing is happening only confuses these "Brick" recievers and will make you want to throw the remote through the TV. Don't forget to ask about your specialty sports channel. I was told that I would have pretty much every channel that I had with Bell but didn't mention my, just have to have, Toronto Maple Leafs TV. It wasn't there so they had to shuffle around a "Bonus" channel, remove Discovery High octane or something and then turn on Leafs TV. No charge.

6- All in all however, price for pound and a bit of pain and suffering, Rogers kicked Bell's pricing square in the but. 5 Roger's cell phones aside ( although they were considered in my "Bundle") Rogers came in at pretty much exactly what I was paying Bell-roughly $325.00 a month. However, Bell was only delivering...TV, Home phone, and Internet ( all combined over phone lines which caused technology disruptions regularly). Rogers included 8 Receivers (can go to 15 ) so I am now back to where I was when I left Rogers for Bell Fibe ( Bell's limit under fibe is 6 TV's max.), Superior TV Programming ( All TMN, NHL Centre Ice, Netflix,Leafs TV and a few other specialty Channels ), Rogers Ignite 100 high speed Internet-Unlimited Usage-100MB download ( need to have with 2 "live at home" University students who do nothing without a phone/tablet/laptop in their hands-hand them a dish towel and they are confused...), 1 Canada Wide Long Distance Home phone-3 features, 1-Office Phone line, 3 features North American Long distance plan,

7- the icing on the cake was that for the same price I was paying Bell, Rogers threw in the 5th part of their whole home Bundle ( literally at no charge for 2 years ), their Home Security option. This included 5- Door Sensors, 1 Motion Sensor for the Foyer, Wireless Light control, outdoor Camera facing the Driveway, wirelessly ( or manual) controlled updated Heat/Cool Thermostat complete with 24 x 7 centrally monitored alarm system.

Conslusion I guess. MUCH More bang for the same buck with Rogers, No more BELL Canada support issues in my house (communication barriers)...completely Bell Free..

Ask more question and be specific about the things that you like and are used to. They are a different solution company.

I'm a Senior Advisor

"I now learn that you can't pause live TV. You can only do this for recorded programs. 

A quick correction.  You CAN pause live TV on your PVR.  You can't on a non-PVR device.

The PVR buffers the stream coming in, so you can pause/rewind/slo mo live TV on the PVR.

When (if?) Rogers ever launches IPTV, you may see functionality like Bell Fibe even on non-PVR boxed.

I'm an Advisor

*** EDIT: See my next post for how to pause "almost live TV" for no additional cost (using what you already have). ***

Hello @Clarke1,

I am happy to hear that you are up and running with 8 (!!!) HD cable receivers. One quick addition to @Lurker's post:

- You can have a second PVR added to your setup - this will allow you to pause live TV on whatever set you install it on (example: the set you were viewing the Jays game on). 

- If you opt for this, you would return one of your non-PVR receivers (one that cannot lause live TV)  to a Rogers Plus store and request a Nextbox 3 PVR.

- Your monthly price will go up, typically by $12 (may be different for you, depending on what deal / discount you negotiated for). 

I have 4 TVs and have 2 PVRs on my whole home network - the PVRs are installed to the 2 main TVs that get the most use. 

If you have any questions, let me/us know!

Enjoy the ballgame today - Go Jays Go! Smiley Happy

I'm an Advisor

Hello @Clarke1,

Thinking some more, there is a way to "pause live TV" from a box that does not support it. This can be done for no additional cost and with no changes to your hardware.

To do this:

- Start recording the ballgame on the main box. 

- Move to any other room, press "LIST" on the remote. 

- Select the game from the list (should have a red "record" symbol) and press OK/Select on the remote. 

- Press OK/Select again to start the recording. 

Okay...this is "almost live" (a few seconds behind)...but it gives you the ability to pause "almost live TV" for no extra money. 

I hope this helps.