Can I watch recorded PVR shows on a TV while not hooked up to cable?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Can I watch recorded PVR shows on a TV while not hooked up to cable?

I wanted to take my NextBox 9865HD up to the cottage and watch some of my recorded shows while there, but when I hook it up, it never gets past the reboot stage, presumably because there is no signal, I get that. Is there any way I can watch the recorded shows without hooking it up to a cable line?

***Edited Labels***

Retired Moderator RogersSannecia
Retired Moderator

Re: Can I watch recorded PVR shows on a TV while not hooked up to cable?

Hello @DaPackRatz

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Forums Smiley Wink!

Unfortunately you would not be able to use your PVR at the cottage as the PVR needs to be connected to an active cable outlet .

Have you thought about activating basic cable service at the cottage ?

Hope this helps.

RogersSannecia

I've Been Here Awhile

@RogersSannecia wrote:

Have you thought about activating basic cable service at the cottage ?

No cable service there to hook up to, but thank you for your response.

I have satellite there (with another company, sorry) but wanted to get my recorded shows watched and deleted as my HD from home is almost full. LOL.

Thank you again.

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

Hi there @DaPackRatz

I did a quick search on the forums as this has been talked about before. Check out this thread for some ideas. It's an old thread but relevant to your situation.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/page/2/...

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you @lockdown2341
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi @DaPackRatz

You MIGHT be able to accomplish this with the use of a large UPS.  What you would have to do is plug an uninterruptable power supply into the wall and fully charge it, and plug the power of the PVR into that, and once the PVR is booted, take the PVR and UPS attached together (and powered) up the othe cottage - and once there, plug the UPS into the wall.

The idea is that the PVR is LIKELY to keep working IF it stays powered after it's been booted while you are in Toronto.

But you will need a UPS with a large enough battery to last the trip to the cottage.

I've Been Here Awhile

Brilliant!!! I can even expand on this with another idea! Have the PVR plugged into a UPS while booting, move the UPS and PVR to the vehicle (Truck in this case) and plug it into a AC/DC convertor for the trip to keep it charged (2.5 hour drive) and then transfer to the cottage under UPS power when I arrive. IT....COULD.... WORK!!! ("Young Frankenstein" reference) Thank you @billmcintyre, it all depends on how it reacts with the loss of signal when the cable is disconnected, but the reboot is only triggered on a power loss, so this may be the answer! (Bows to the genius that is. LOL) Now, just to get all set up for the transfer. Unfortunately, my AC/DC convertor is at the cottage. LOL. I will let you know how it goes.