Can I Remove the HDTV Specialty Channel Package from my services?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Can I Remove the HDTV Specialty Channel Package from my services?

I have the HD VIP ($81.99) and HDTV Specialty Channel Package ( $13.50).  I called Rogers to get a list of channels included with the HDTV Specialty Channel Package and here is what they sent me:

HD ABC Seattle (KOMO) (HABCW) 
HD CBS Seattle (KIRO) (HCBSW) 
HD NBC Seattle (KING) (HNBCW) 
HD FOX Seattle (KCPQ) (HFOXW) 
Discovery Velocity HD (DVELO) 
HIFI (HIFI) 
Love Nature (NATUR) 
Smithsonian Channel (SMITH) 
BBC Earth (BBCE) 
HD WSBK (HWSBK)
HD WGN Chicago (CW9) (HDWGN) 

I decided that I didn't need any of these channels anymore - my cable bill is getting high (internet, cell phones,  tv, home phone).  I was told by the Rogers rep that although the HDTV Specialty Channel Package ( $13.50) was a separate line item on my bill it was actually required for Rogers Digital and can not be canceled.

Seems strange to me.  Has anyone else received this information?

Thanks for your help.

**Labels Added**

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Can I Remove the HDTV Specialty Channel Package from my services?

If you're currently on a grandfathered VIP package, any changes you make to your overall TV package may impact that package and mean that you could be migrated to one of the new packages, which typically cost more and provide fewer channels.  You might be able to get away with keeping grandfathered VIP while deleting some "extras", however, that may depend on the CSR and your negotiating skills. I would suggest leaving well enough alone, as most people who migrate away from VIP regret doing so.

Highlighted

Hello @felixmcc,

Thanks for participating in the Community Forums and great first post! 😊

Our entertainment preferences are ever-changing, so I definitely understand the importance of having TV channels that meet your household needs. 

It looks like you are currently on a package that is now grandfathered and is no longer being offered.

The HD VIP Package is a combination of the following:

◦ VIP Cable
◦ VIP Extra Pack
◦ HDTV Specialty Pack

To add to @57's post, I can confirm that the only way to remove the HDTV Specialty Pack would be to change the entire package to one of our in-market TV package options. Regrettably, the type of package you have does not allow us to remove just the HDTV Specialty Pack while leaving the rest of the package in tact.

Feel free to CLICK HERE to review our in-market options to see if any of them would be better suited to your current needs. Another option to consider is our new Ignite TV bundles which offer some cool features that you may find appealing. 🙂

Kind regards!
RogersLaura

I'm a Senior Advisor

I have the regular HD VIP at $81.99 plus a Digital Services Fee of $2.99, which they put in there originally when I got a PVR and switched from analog to digital.  But I see that I have Ch 527 HD ABC Seattle (KOMO) (HABCW), so that may not actually be part of your Specialty Channel Package or I may have it as a fluke.  It's the only American timeshift channel I have. With a SA8300 PVR time shift channels are important since I record a lot of shows.

Like @57 said, you can't change anything in your grandfathered VIP package, only switch to one of the new ones, which have far fewer channels. When I select an unsubscribed channel in my Guide I get a message to call Rogers to order it, but I doubt that can be done anymore with VIP. However, the Specialty Channel Package is a separate item on your bill, nothing to do with VIP I presume, but still an obsolete add-on. If you really don't want it anymore, I see no harm is calling Rogers to see if can be removed providing you still keep your VIP.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the quick responses!!

I guess I didn't fully understand that it was tied to the grandfathered package and couldn't be removed without changing the entire package.

I'll follow your links and see if there is a cheaper option for TV and internet that will work for me.  

Thanks for the info!!

Felix

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I have the regular HD VIP at $81.99 plus a Digital Services Fee of $2.99, which they put in there originally when I got a PVR and switched from analog to digital.  But I see that I have Ch 527 HD ABC Seattle (KOMO) (HABCW), so that may not actually be part of your Specialty Channel Package or I may have it as a fluke.  It's the only American timeshift channel I have. With a SA8300 PVR time shift channels are important since I record a lot of shows.

Like @57 said, you can't change anything in your grandfathered VIP package, only switch to one of the new ones, which have far fewer channels. When I select an unsubscribed channel in my Guide I get a message to call Rogers to order it, but I doubt that can be done anymore with VIP. However, the Specialty Channel Package is a separate item on your bill, nothing to do with VIP I presume, but still an obsolete add-on. If you really don't want it anymore, I see no harm is calling Rogers to see if can be removed providing you still keep your VIP.

My bill says Digital VIP Cable for $81.99.

Is this the same as HD VIP for the same price.

Thank god I got TMN (now Crave) package a while ago when they were offering it at half price for 3 months, when I was still able to add it to my package, otherwise I would have had to switch packages to watch Game of Thrones when it comes back.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@mfait wrote:

My bill says Digital VIP Cable for $81.99.

Is this the same as HD VIP for the same price.

My bill says

Digital VIP Cable * 81.99
4 Digital Adapter 0.00
Digital Services Fee 2.99
HDTV Channel Pak 0.00
Total monthly charges 84.98
Total before taxes 84.98
HST: 81578 1448 11.05
Total for TV $96.03

I got VIP when I had a SA8300SD.  I presume the HD channels where free where available if you had a HD box. I later got a SA8300HD.

Hi @mfait,

Just to clarify, the VIP (Cable) Package is different than the HD VIP Package. **Please note that both of these packages are now expired and are no longer being offered.**

For customers who still have this package, the regular cost for the HD VIP Package is $98.48/month + taxes, or $86.45/month + taxes for residents living in the Hamilton region.

I hope this helps!

RogersLaura

I'm a Senior Advisor

What I have is the base VIP.  I believe there was another one, Extra or Super VIP, that included  movies and music video channels and U.S. timeshift channels.  I believe @57 has it, maybe he can clarify.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, what I have is called "VIP Ultimate & Movies Package"  The "list price" appears to be $124.97, however, I have a good discount on my overall bundle of Internet, TV, HP.  I also have Grandfathered Anytime PAYGo, but that's separate.