CBC channel 8 in Ottawa has choppy video

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bbotti
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: CBC channel 8 in Ottawa has choppy video

Yes, I agree.  I tested this a couple of weeks ago and had no issue recording/watching the Vancouver CBC feed of the same program (Anne with an e) that was very choppy here.  CBC Ottawa is unwatchable most evgs. - 22 Minutes, Frankie Drake, etc all exhibit this choppiness issue for me.  However this not always the case.  I have been able to watch some programs - Dragon's Den with no issue.   I find it very strange that the local news broadcasts flawlessly but as soon as they cut to a commercial, the commercial is very choppy.  In my opinion this seems to indicate that something is amiss with the handling of the "network" feed for CBOT.    Maybe Rogers could map out the CBC feeds and figure out which node in their network is actually feeding the commercials or some of the shows I have mentioned it could point to something....

RogersLaura

Hello @jays77 and @bbotti!

Thanks so much for your participation in the Community, we're happy to have you here! 🤗

It's clear that you two are not alone in this issue. Although I'm glad to hear that you found a way to get around it, really and truly, you shouldn't have to resort to that just to get a clean picture!!

As multiple users seem to be affected, we'd love for you to send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps so we can submit a ticket to have it looked into further. The more tickets received, the better! Please CLICK HERE to go to RogersZia's previous post for information on how to send us the Private Message. 

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

PeterZ
I've Been Here Awhile

We've been having this problem for many months (in Greenboro/Hunt Club East). At one point it was ok for a few weeks, but now it's back and worse than ever.  Had several Rogers technicians here last year (2019) and they did what they could inside and outside the house, including checking signal strength and so on.  They found nothing and their efforts were useless. 

The problem is the picture becomes pixilated and the audio cuts out briefly, and this happens several times a minute. The problem is mainly on CBC channel 8, though can also be seen on other channels including NBC channel 9. Some days the CBC Ottawa channel is nearly unwatchable.   This happens only with the TV running on Nextbox 3.0, not on my (free) over-the-air antenna TV which is crystal clear. 

It is truly disappointing that in the year 2020 Rogers is apparently incapable of delivering a quality TV signal and not willing to dig deeper to diagnose and fix the problem for good.  But, Rogers doesn't mind charging ridiculously high prices for its substandard service. Thankfully, Rogers customers have many other and far less expensive options these days that don't include Rogers at all. 

Any thoughts or advice?  

RogersMoin

Hello, @PeterZ.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums, and thank you for joining this discussion. Definitely, it can be frustrating if the pixelation returns for specific channels. The issue could be related to signal quality for those specific channels. 

Thank you for reaching out to us in the PM, we will troubleshoot to find a solution for you. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Brian34
I've Been Here Awhile

Channel 8 CBC is freezing up a lot lately - anyone else having this problem?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Where are you located?  It may be a signal issue.  Check out the following post on that topic:  You can check the signal yourself or call Rogers and they can check it remotely.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...

I'm in Toronto and haven't noticed any CBC issues, however, if the signal is week, this can be one of the first channels affected.

Brian34
I've Been Here Awhile

Why do all Rogers tv channels freeze? Every day ! (November 21, 2020 - Ottawa customer)

So frustrating - Rogers will not answer my phone calls, wait forever for chat to pick up, no store will talk to you about tech tv problems, what a great system they have, only option is to cancel and move to another provider which is just as bad or worse. Maybe time to setup a usa dish.

RogersTony

Hello, @Brian34

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can imagine how frustrating it is trying to watch a favourite program only to have the picture quality freezing up or becoming choppy. 

Most issues related to the cable TV service tend to be related to a poor signal or a connectivity issue. Can you ensure that the coaxial cable on the back on your TV boxes and at the splitter/outlet is as tight as possible, by hand?

• Do you notice this issue on all of your cable boxes or are you only using 1 currently?
  • Have you attempted a reboot of the affected cable box to see if there is any improvement?
  • Are all of your channels affected or is it just CBC?

Once we have more information we'll be better equipped to assist you.

RogersTony

mknottawa
I've Been Here Awhile

I have been having this problem for awhile now. Only with cbcottawa ... so what was the resolution? Should I call Rogers?
mknottawa
I've Been Here Awhile

yeah... only with cbcottawa... why? ... was there a resolution?