Brand new TV tons of channels missing

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Brand new TV tons of channels missing

Its a digital TV brand new Samsung if that matters. Cable is selected d not AIR. No cable box...just pluged into the wall. nothing above channel 32. Am I forced to get that crappy annalog box or a digitl box?

***Edited labels***

Steve
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Brand new TV tons of channels missing

TV wont have anything to do with it.

Analog, is JUST about completely gone now.

I beleive there is another 10 or so, that will be gone by the end of Aug.

Really in the end.. other than cost per say, of a digital box rental or purchase... really, it is night and day.
You pretty much throw away all the quality of the new TV, connecting analog or even through the DTA.

A HD digital box, watching an HD feed, is completely a diferent viewing experience than an SD signal.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Here is the problem. Its for my 90 year old mother in law who has a special remote. The net boxs when they reboot at night need to be turned on again physically. Not an option for her. Turn off TV and sound and change channels is all she wants. Very basic cable. 

Steve
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The nexboxes, as well as all the boxes.. even after a reboot, only require a power on from the remote, to come back on.  I never have to physicaly touch mine.

But anways.. a full digital box might be too much.

The DTA, is a BASIC remote.. only channel, volume, power.. so simple enough... but may not be quite the fit (if say the special one is large button, etc).
But assuming the TV will program to the DTA remote, thats all would be needed.. turn on the box and tv, in one button press.

Other than that.. Analog, with whatever channels are left.

I Plan to Stick Around

In my experience, the way the remote for the digital box works can be quite confusing for older people, especially how you have to keep it pointed at the tv and box while it turns each one on or off or else you end up with it only turning one of them on or off.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, that is verry true.
(my grandmother runs into that all the time).

But really? there isnt much choice anymore 😞

Its either that... or use two remote (could be even more confusing)

Other than OTA.. there are no other real options, to use the TV's tuner.. everything else requires a box of some form.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@senordd wrote:
In my experience, the way the remote for the digital box works can be quite confusing for older people, especially how you have to keep it pointed at the tv and box while it turns each one on or off or else you end up with it only turning one of them on or off.

Yes, and the processor is relatively slow. If you don't hold the remote steady f or at least 2 seconds, either the TV or STB won't get the signal, especially if the sensors aren't located close together. I especially found that with my old 8300SD and would end up with the box and TV out of phase.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario