cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black screens on many channels

Kim17
I've been here awhile

Last night around midnight, I was watching TV and then the screen went black and an brief error message was displayed but I can not recall exactly what it said.

I tried for about 10 minutes to get any channel to work but nothing would come up.  I checked the power and the connections on my NextBox but nothing worked.  This morning on another TV located in another room, there are also some channels (again on a Nextbox) that are not coming in that are also black.

Only our HD Nextbox 5K PVR is the only one working correctly with all channels working.

*** Edited Labels ***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Black screens on many channels

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kim17 : Having black channels is usually an indication of a poor signal to your home, neighbourhood or even specific locations in your home. Different boxes can require different signal levels and behave differently if you have a borderline signal.  You can check the signal yourself using the information in the following FAQ:

You can also contact Rogers and they can check your signal remotely.  Signal issues can either be intermittent, which are difficult to solve, or long term.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/57-faq-tips-for-sa-cisco-stbs-also-pace.17719/

1) Press and hold the Exit key for two seconds until the power LED flashes on the front panel of the box.
2) In quick succession, press the down arrow button twice, then press the 2 button. This will get you into the diagnostics section where you can browse all kinds of information

cinnerae
I've been around
I have the same problem. It's been happening a lot lately. And my wifi keeps cutting out as well. I have a tech coming this evening to check it out. My channels have been black for 3 days now and no on demand either. I'm guessing it's not the area connection unless we are neighbour's. Lol. Good luck.

JLuna88
I've been here awhile

@cinnerae wrote:
I have the same problem. It's been happening a lot lately. And my wifi keeps cutting out as well. I have a tech coming this evening to check it out. My channels have been black for 3 days now and no on demand either. I'm guessing it's not the area connection unless we are neighbour's. Lol. Good luck.

Same here, I even can't connect to wifi.

JLuna88
I've been here awhile

@JLuna88 wrote:

@cinnerae wrote:
I have the same problem. It's been happening a lot lately. And my wifi keeps cutting out as well. I have a tech coming this evening to check it out. My channels have been black for 3 days now and no on demand either myLoneStar. I'm guessing it's not the area connection unless we are neighbour's. Lol. Good luck.

Same here, I even can't connect to wifi.

Solution.

Hello, @JLuna88!

Welcome to the Rogers community, we're happy to have you! Congrats on your first post! 🙂

It is definitely concerning that you are not receiving any WiFi signal at the moment. 😞 I just have some questions to better understand your situation, if you don't mind:

- What colour is the light on your modem? And is it solid or flashing?

- Is the WiFi not working on all connected devices? (TVs, cellphones, computers, etc.)

- Have you already reported the issue to us? What was the result?

- Do you have a tech coming out in the near future?

You may also want to try rebooting your modem by unplugging both the coaxial cable and power cord for about 30 seconds and then plug them back in (in that same order) making sure all connections are tight and secure. Once done, see if you can also reboot each of your TV boxes one by one as well. Please let us know how it goes!

You are also welcome to send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps and we can take a closer look into this for you as well. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog.

We look forward to your reply. 🙂

RogersLaura

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 in conversation