Basic Cable channels

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Basic Cable channels

Hello 

I'm from Scarborough Ontario. I have a basic cable package for my television with a direct cable line going into my tv without a digital box. This means that I usually get channels between 2-26 with a few more. However this morning I turned on my tv and I'm getting a no signal message with static on channels 24, 25 and 26. My question is what gives? Should i finally get a digital box?

Thanks

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm an Advisor

Re: Basic Cable channels

Alex,

Rogers has been slowly removing channels from standard analog cable and has been alerting customers of this on the monthly invoice - there was a blurb on last months bill (I live in Brampton).

Try calling Rogers and asking for a "Digital Adapter" (DTA 50) - this will allow you to get the missing analog channels back, but it does not have an electronic program guide, component video out, composite video out, or S-Video (which you are not using anyway).

This adapter is free, so you have nothing to loose!

Remember that this is NOT a digital terminal, and that you will get more channels with an actual box versus this adapter. Have you tried calling Rogers Customer Care to seek a retentions deal?

EDIT: Here is the installation guide for the free digital adapter, to get you started...

http://downloads.rogershelp.com/digitalcable/guides/DTA50_EIG_ON.pdf 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Amazing how many people dont look at ALL the details on their bill regularily Smiley Happy

Even before the online billing.. going back over 2 years ago, is when the analog to digital change started.

It has started, by the over the air transmission of the channels, etc.. changing to digital (so an old school antenna could not pick up anymore).

Rogers continued to provide analog TV.. by spending the extra work to convert it DOWN to analog for people.
But over time.. they have slowly been weeding that out.

Every month or two, they have been removing 1-5 channels usually.

They are NOW finally down to the END, and hitting the spot where they are removing the BASIC cable channels.

As was mentioned.. the easiest way to make sure you have all channels.. is the FREE DTA.  A basic remote, and box, but should give you all the channels available on the BASIC package.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for all the info. I just ordered a digital adapter. I am thinking about buying(not renting) a digital terminal and I was wondering will I have to pay a monthly fee for it and if so how much?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A digital terminal.. well it all depends on what you get.

If you BUY a digital terminal.. than no, there shouldnt be any monthly fee.
You would LIKELY have to return the Digital adapter though.. basic cable most likely only allows ONE box per account, unless you pay an additional 'outlet' fee for the room to add more boxes.

Depending on the terminal.. i dont think you would gain any more channels per say.. being on BASIC cable..
MIGHT gain HD with an HD box.. if the basic cable includes HD (not sure)

I'm a Senior Advisor

You need a digital plan instead of your Basic Cable to get more than what you get with the DTA.. The lowest one is Digital TV at $39.48 plus tax.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm an Advisor

Alex,

Glad you are finding this thread useful! I recommend you call Rogers and ask about "Digital Lite TV".  Back in 2013, my cousin in Mississauga got this very basic sub ($15) that provided the eqivalent of basic cable at a reduced cost.

I don't know if this is still available, but worth a check.

To answer your other question - as per http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=cable_hardware_page, you can 'rent to own' an HD terminal (Nextbox 2) for $7.50/month.  The HD PVR (Nextbox 3) is $17.50/month on same 'rent to own' program.

If you rent or purchase a box from Rogers or another source, you will need to pay the digital access fee - currently $2.99 per month.

Good luck Alex! Please let us know if you call in and are able to get "Digital Lite TV", or if you were able to call Rogers retentions department to work yourself up a deal [free PVR?]  Smiley Happy

Gdkitty & OLDYELLR: Do you know if "Digital Lite TV" is still offered by Rogers? In 2013, it was an unadvertised packaged that served as a loss-leader to attract new customers from Bell.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No clue, if its not listed online.. you have about as much info as us

About the digital access fee.. that will all depend on the plan..

Really, you are still paying it, no matter what.
But all the NEW plans its included in the price.. vs older plans you will pay it ontop... but it all breaks out the SAME price

I'm a Senior Advisor

I don't see any "Digital Lite TV" but I vaguely remember something like that. Like I said, the lowest package I can find now is "Digital TV" with 220 channels for $39.48. That must replace what was called Basic Cable.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm an Advisor

Hello,

Just to confirm - getting basic cable will give you more channels than analog basic cable, as per MyRogers.

To see the basic cable lineup, do the following:

- Visit www.rogers.com and sign-in.

- From Menu bar, click MyRogers > Products & Services > TV

- On right side in "TV Packages", click "Channel Line-Ups".  According to this list, there will be many additional channels accessible when a Rogers Digital Terminal is connected.

Hope this helps.