BEWARE of new Select Multiple Recordings/Delete with Whole Home PVR.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

BEWARE of new Select Multiple Recordings/Delete with Whole Home PVR.

Beware of the new (in 5.1.1.0104) Select Multiple Recordings/Delete with Whole Home PVR.

On my 9865 if you select a recording (with 'A') from another PVR (in my case my 8642) it is POSSIBLE when you press 'C' to delete the selected recordings that the "Deleting Recordings..." process will hang part way.  The PVR will no longer respond to any remote commands, and the Power button on the front panel of the PVR will do nothing.  YOU WILL HAVE NO WAY OUT OF THIS HANG OTHER THAN UNPLUGGING THE POWER CORD ON THE 9865 (although once I did find when I left the 9865 for 10 hours overnight, at some point it did eventually stop trying to delete and was usable the next morning - checking Diagnostics showed it had NOT rebooted overnight).

At first I thought this only happened if you accidentally selected a program for deletion that had already been deleted (by this I mean another non-fixed issue where from my 9865 I delete a program that is actually recorded on the 8642, but it occasionally will not remove it from the My Recordings list on the 9865 when it is deleted - you have to manually reboot to get the list corrected on the 9865).  However this morning I was careful to select only new recordings made since 2am today, and it STILL hung after deleting the 2nd of 7 recordings I selected to delete.

Note that during the time it is hung it will still continue to record scheduled programs, and you can still play back recordings from the hung 9865 from another box (in my case the 4642 I had in the bedroom).  You just can't do anything from the 9865 itself via remote or front panel on/off button.

FYI - my first post here on Rogers Community Forums, though I have MANY posts regarding Rogers/NextBox/PVRs/WHPVR issues on digitalhome.ca forums.

***Edited labels***

I'm an Advisor

Re: BEWARE of new Select Multiple Recordings/Delete with Whole Home PVR.

That's strange. I used my 9865 to delete multiple programs from an 8642 in my bedroom using the method you specified and they deleted just fine (granted, took about a minute to delete 8 programs, some in folders when sorted "By Title").

Have you called Rogers and reported this issue to them?

Yes, reported to second level tech support.

Sometimes Multiple Deletes work, sometimes not.

The key usually IS when you delete a program from the 9865 that is actually recorded on the 8642, but it doesn't remove from the list of My Recordings on the 9865 (though it really is deleted on the 8642).  Yo uneed to reboot the 9865 to correct the list, but IF, before you reboot, you accidentally select that recording on the 9865 again as part of Select Multiple Recordings/Delete, then the Delete WILL hang the box and you have to unplug the power cord to reset it.

I'm an Advisor

Yes, I understand your issue. I just deleted multiple recordings usimg your method, again, on my 8642 from the 9865.  The deletetions completed successfully and the programs no longer appear on my reocrdings list of the 9865.  Also, no hangs for me during this process (can't test your scenario since deleted programs are removed from my list).

Has Rogers called back or are they coming out to check your WHPVR setup?  It sounds like there is a connection or communications issue on your whole home PVR network.

Rogers have been on site at least 10 times on the last 2.75 years. Everything (cabling, signal strength, MOCA filter, etc. etc.) checks out fine.  Over the last 2.75 years I've also replaced every box in the house at least once (8642, 9865, 4642).

I'm an Advisor

I hear your frustration - when I upgraded to the Nextbox "Diamond" bundle in April 2012, I had about 20 tech visits in 8 months to fix all manner of issues.

But something possibly helpful for you --

In June 2014, I called in re: WHPVR issues and heavy pixellation on all boxes. Techs visited my home, said things were fine.  Still had issues.  Swapped 2 boxes, still had issues.

Finally, a tech checked the aqua coloured box on a neighbours property - my understanding is that this node splits an incoming cable from a neighbourhood node to multiple homes.  There was a device in there that was causing the problem.  It was fixed and my problem went away.  No more video pixellation, and WHPVR began to work normally.

The next time you have a tech out, ask about this.  I wish I knew the technical term for that distribution box (was that it?), but maybe you call tech support and ask them about it.

When Rogers determined that this had caused my issues, they offered a $50 discressionary discount on my bill and some free ROD movies.

Please let me know what Rogers has to say if you ask them about this.

Good try, but I have had no pixellation issues for 2.5 years, the neighbourhood distribution node/box actually sits on my front lawn and back in 2012 they ran a new RG11 cable from there to the house.  They also added a signal booster in the house about 2 years ago.  My problems are difinitely not related to signal strength, as every on-site visit since 2012 has confirmed.

I'm an Advisor

Then the only thing you can do is document everything and escalate it beyond second level, because it seems they have failed you since 2012.

When I had my issues in 2012, I escalated it to the manager at customer care, then to the Rogers 'Office of the President' - given the history you are reporting, this is something you need to pursue ASAP...someone owes you an explanation as to why this issue has been ongoing this long.

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: BEWARE of new Select Multiple Recordings/Delete with Whole Home PVR

I presently have two (2) Nextbox 3.0's that are interfacing with each other. If my daughter erases a program I have taped it is gone and visa versa. Rogers tech support is saying there is nothing that can be done yet the store in my area says it can be remotely changed by tech support. This is a recent problem; they used to work independently.

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Re: BEWARE of new Select Multiple Recordings/Delete with Whole Home PVR

Hey @Missydawdale

By the sounds of it. You have Whole Home PVR set up.
Once that is set up, they talk to each other. So 1 recording shows on both and if deleted erases (regardless on which PVR it's on).
If you want it working independently. Whole Home PVR needs to come off your account.

Normally a tech needs to come in and remove it.
I believe order set up was a filter, and newer set up is with tech doing it from their laptop "remotely" (They still come to the home).

You can have Customer service create an order for you for a tech to visit your home and disengage both PVR talking to each other.

However, keep in mind. Once it is removed, what ever shows you record on one PVR can only be watched on THAT PVR and not the other.

But if you want to keep that feature (Where you can watch the recording on either PVR box) then you also risk it being deleted from either box by your daughter.

The tech support doesn't create the order so they may not be aware of the process, as it isn't a technical issue, it's a feature. The store rep in your area may know about that feature but don't know which department takes care of it...

Either way, hopefully this clears it up but it is not done over the phone remotely. It is similar to removing an Extra Outlet on an account; physically a tech has to come out and complete the order created by customer service.

Any question, feel free to ask. Smiley Happy
Cheers!

I noticed your post isn't there when I tried posting it.