BANNER ADS - GO AWAY OR I WILL

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
welkad
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: BANNER ADS - GO AWAY OR I WILL

Thursday, Feb 12th, at 7:05pm on 14 HDOM2 (Omni 2) the same "ROGERS IS THE FASTEST INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER" pop up banner appeared when watching Two and a Half Men. I will start by calling customer service to complain and I will eventually cancel my TV service if nothing is done about it.

LAW111
I've Been Around

Does anyone who we can complain to about this issue?  Last time I talked to a Rogers representative she did not know what I was talking about but suggested the individual networks broadcasting the banner ads are responsible.   She told me to call an advertising standards entity in Toronto, which I did, but no one returned my call.  I tried to call the crtc but could find no number.   Help would be appreciated!  

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

These ads aren't being inserted by Rogers. They're ads, just like the 30 spots at commercial breaks. Rogers is paying the networks to show them just like a regular ad.
paulaclaude123
I've Been Here Awhile

I agree and I am getting very upset. The next thing will be a bigger banner ad in the middle of my favorite shows! I PVR all our favorite shows so I can fast forward through the normal ads but I have no way of cutting out the banner ads?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@paulaclaude123:

Complain to the networks that place the ads - see the post above yours. This has nothing to do with Rogers, unless they're the owner of the particular channel in question.

I hate them too, especially when they hinder CC, but your anger should be directed at the channel, not the service provider. The provider like Rogers, Bell, Cogeco, Shaw, etc. simply passes what they get.

paulaclaude123
I've Been Here Awhile

The problem does lie with the provider such as BELL since they own the channel that the banner ad is on such as CTV?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@paulaclaude123:  That's what I said in post 25 above. Since this is a Rogers forum, you'd have a complaint if it's a Rogers Channel, but again, I suggest you contact the "broadcaster" directly, since you're unlikely to get much satisfaction in this forum. The purpose of this forum is primarily peer-to-peer assistance.  Knowing where to complain (who to complain to) is more important than the complaining.

Here's a link to the Rogers TV Channels:

https://www.rogersmedia.com/our-properties/television/

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to clarify. One of the members said he/she saw the ad on OMNI TV channel. Just an FYI, The OMNI TV Channel is NOT owned by Bell, It is infact owned by Rogers Media. But if you called in to Rogers Cable to complain nothing would get done because it is not an issue they handle. Anyways like others have said take it up with the actual broadcaster but I doubt they will actually do anything about it. They get paid to. Show these ads and they might be perfectly within their rights to so such and who would want to turn down ad revenue? See what I mean?

Shermandadofour
I've Been Around

Will edge ad block, block those annoying and extremely repetitive alcohol commercials during online show streaming on let's say ctv's show streams? I can probably quote word for word the captain Morgan and the Bailey's commercials word for word with zero help. Sometimes the one commercial plays 3 times in a row, I've watched one ep of B&B and the entire commercial line up was solely the Bailey's one every single commercial during that single ep was the repeated Bailey's one. My wife is deaf so I'm getting pretty annoyed with those overlaying ads as well. She neeeeds to read those captions, but when an ad comes she's discriminated right out of her shows because some inconsiderate fully hearing advertising manager wants to earn his buck. I think we can include discrimination in this. Deaf people require closed captions and rogers and bell and whoever else puts those ads on top of the captions needs to have their head examined and demoted for not thinking of everyone who watches. RUDE at finest. Let's make an uproar and we both give all y'all permission to reference us and my wife's hearing impairment to get the fight going and damned hard, because ppl freak out big time when companies do not look out for their disabled customers 😉 let's do this!!!!!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I normally dont run CC... but on a cable box, i thought the CC was an overlay itself, which happens at the box end.. so i would think that it should go OVER the banner adds at the bottom of the show, as they are done from the feed side.

Same would go though for if streaming online.. if the add is pushed from the STREAM side.. then no nothing would block it.
Say compared to youtube.. which pushes them out as an overlay on the video, it might block that.