BANNER ADS - GO AWAY OR I WILL

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neilpalmer400
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: BANNER ADS - GO AWAY OR I WILL

I've seen them lately during Late Show With David Letterman.  They are ALWAYS pop-up ads for Rogers products and they often cover text at the bottom of the screen that are part of the program content (jokes, list of upcoming guests, etc.).  They usually appear just before or just after an ad break in the program and are VERY annoying.  Whether Rogers is inserting these (suspicious as I have ONLY seen these for Rogers products) or THEY are the ones paying broadcasters for them, Rogers is responsible for these. 

I suppose someone with over-the-air TV or Bell Satellite or Fibe would have to compare an episode of Letterman with a version over Rogers Cable for example to see whether Rogers Cable head-end is inserting these, or whether they are paying the broadcaster (OMNI on channel 4 in this case) to do it.  I suspect it is Rogers head-end inserting the ads - partly because they do it so sloppily and cover program content on occasion.

welkad
I Plan to Stick Around

@Lurker wrote:

So, in short, to the OP, there's nothng Rogers can do about ads inserted by the networks. 

Oh, but there IS something Rogers can do about them...stop paying TV stations to post the banner ads to begin with. I know for a FACT it was an add for a Rogers' service, which is why I assumed that they were the ones over-laying the annoying banners to begin with.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That would stop at least the rogers ones.. but not any of the others.

While watching CTV over the weekend.. there was one of those.. right when there were subtitles for when someone was talking too 😞

It was a CTV add, on CTV.
Thats a bell station... so wouldnt help with ones like that 😞

1945mdh
I Plan to Stick Around

The last one I noticed - a squarish pop-up in the lower left corner partilly blocking my captioning - was for Shomi. Rogers could do something about that one I assume.

welkad
I Plan to Stick Around

I saw another pop-up banner add tonight on channel 15 HDCTY (City TV) at around 10:35pm on Tuesday while I was watching an episode of Two and a Half Men. It said "PCMag.com names Rogers FASTEST INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER IN CANADA two years in a row" and there is a Rogers logo at the bottom-right of the banner. It appeared for about 10 seconds during the actual show and obstructed aproximately 10% of the entire image (bottom-center).

I can't believe that the CRTC is allowing this to occur. We are paying Rogers to provide us with content as it was intended to be viewed by the studios who produce these shows. To marr it's distrubition with pop-up banner advertising is crass at best, and liable to copyright infringement lawsuits at worse.

I guess the question is, what are we going to do about them? Start a letter writing to the CRTC, file an official complaint with the Rogers Ombudsman, cancel all of our services?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you beleive its wrong practice to do so, best would be to conact the CRTC and/or CCTS.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

In my opinion, placing banner ads that obscure subtitles, closed captions, described video or news tickers is just plain dirty pool. If Rogers is doing it, make your dissatisfaction public by posting on the Rogers Facebook page and Twitter (if you're into that stuff).

I was getting tired of more ads popping up in Firefox because Adblok Plus is getting paid off, so I upgraded to Adblok Edge, which promises to stop them all. I can see something like that becoming available for TV in the future.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
jimboden
I'm an Advisor

I'm not sure if this is true, but I always thought there was a CRTC regulation which stipulates how many minutes of commercial time are allowed per hour. If that is the case, the banner ads are just a sneaky way to get around the regulations and the CRTC should intervene. I rarely watch any network TV except the evening news, plus I record Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy on YesTV, which has constant banner ads for its own programming.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

It's Rogers makes the rules. Looks like banner self-promotional ads are a loophole. It probably falls into the same category as what CHCH Hamilton does with its news coverage during the day where it shows the the news in a window with various tickers on the top and bottom and traffic cams on the side. I self-promotional ads don't count the same as paid sponsor ads, but they still obscure the programming.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Adblock Plus requires a subscription list(s) (filter lists) and requires those lists to be updated periodically. To update the preloaded lists, navigate to Firefox….Tools….Add-Ons….Adblock Plus Options….Filter Preferences. Under Actions for each list shown, select Update Filters. That will update the filtering lists.

While you are there, deselect the bottom check box “Allow some non-intrusive advertising”

To add other filter lists to Adblock’s subscription list, go to: https://easylist.adblockplus.org/en/

Or select the easylist homepage link as shown on the filter list.

On that page you can add any of the other lists that are shown. They will show up in the Adblock Subscription list as you add them. Restart Firefox. The added lists and removal of “non-intrusive” adds should take care of the annoyance factor. Only thing to remember is to update the lists every once in a while.