Authorizing settop boxes

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Authorizing settop boxes

I put my 8300HD aside for years. I was using a Panasonic PVR instead. All was well. Then I lost the TV Guide capability. Eventually I swapped my old 8300HD back in and again do get the Guide. Along the way I faced a screen that said I was required to call in and authorize my 8300HD PVR. I did and all proceededly properly.

I don't ever recall 'authorizing' my Panasonic PVR. What is it that one is authorizing? Could I not have two PVRs connected at the same time? When I go through the setup of my Panasonic PVR I never see a screen saying that I have to authorize it. If I did attempt to authorize it by making another of those telephone calls, would I be apt to get the TV Guide info (let alone the digital HD channels) to it?

Thanks,

This 'Shadow' doesn't know

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Authorizing settop boxes

@Shadow  The panasonic PVR is only able to get analogue channels as well an un encrypted digital channels. The 8300HD gets both the analogue and encrypted digital channels. You have to authorize it so as to be able to decrypt the encrypted channels. You cannot (as far as I know) get the panasonic box authorized as it does not have the computer in it that can link up with rogers servers that handle the encryption/decryption stuff.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Shadow  The panasonic PVR is only able to get analogue channels as well an un encrypted digital channels. The 8300HD gets both the analogue and encrypted digital channels. You have to authorize it so as to be able to decrypt the encrypted channels. You cannot (as far as I know) get the panasonic box authorized as it does not have the computer in it that can link up with rogers servers that handle the encryption/decryption stuff.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks -- so nice to get a response I believe in and relieves me of trying more futile attempts.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

It's also more of a security feature for your 8300. The serial number for that specific model is linked with your Rogers cable account so once you disconnect it and leave it inactive for x amount of time, then it requires re-authorization for use which only you, the original account holder, can re-authorize. If someone broke into your home and stole your 8300, took it home and connected it to their television, same process applies, except Mr. Robber won't be so successful with the authorization process Smiley Wink

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

True that the authorization process must be done to the account holder for each box,

But what if that box that you own fails the authorization process?

I have had such a problem happen recently and the solution that they chose was to replace the box with an inferior box.

It would seem that the set top boxes have an inherit problem with authorizing,

For some reason the 3290 box for example keeps failing the authorization process.

The solution that they gave me was to replace my full feature box with a low feature 940 box.

There must be a better solution than replacing full feature boxes with low feature boxes.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@dolawren yeah you got taken advantage of. They should always replace something with equal or greater capabilities. I would keep trying. I've never even heard of this 940 box.. You should try and exchange it at a rogers store for a real box.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I will keep calling them, The last reply I got was that there was a shortage of 3290 boxes,

The tech said he would pick me up one from their warehouse early in the morning last week,

That was the last I heard from him, His supervisor said he'd look into the problem and send the tech a message,

I've yet to hear a word back from them, I hate playing tag with these guys.

We never had this problem with Bell and now it's too late to switch back.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@dolawren do you have a Rogers store near you? If so I would go there and exchange it. (Maybe call first to see if they have anything in stock) I have a feeling though Rogers is moving away from the Scientific Atlantic boxes in favor of the cisco branded ones. There might not be stock of the 3290 anymore but there should be a better box than what you have.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

We don't have a Rogers store close by and I don't see why I should have to go out and get an exchange,

They are the ones that changed the box without our permission,

So they should be the ones to bring back the box that we bought.

They should have at least called or sent me an email by now to tell me that there is a delay,

I shouldn't be having to post in a public Rogers forum to get answers.

I have given them my email over the phone twice already and I haven't heard a thing back,

This is not a very professional way for a company to act to a Rogers customer.

😞

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@dolawren agreed you should have to. I was just letting you know of the fastest way to deal with it. I sort of doubt you will ever hear back from the tech's...