Are Rogers 4k PVR 3.0 Digital Boxes Available for Purchase

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Are Rogers 4k PVR 3.0 Digital Boxes Available for Purchase

Really? Cripes I wish they would make up their mond as to what they plan on doing and leaving things alone one way or the other. I would think however that the box would still be able to be used if a person has it and it works. Thanks for that information Double_K.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @oaky

You are welcome! Smiley Happy.

The current 4K boxes will work even with IPTV comes out but not with that system. So u will be fine if u want to stay with this box and stay with the current plan instead of switching later in a year or so.
I Plan to Stick Around

Good to know and thanks as always.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @oaky

You are welcome!
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Meowmix 

Thanks for your updates on this, but as asked earlier, do you have any sources for the statements that the box will work with IPTV, but not the new system, that people may be able to remain on the old plans and continue to use the new box.

I was digging the financial statements, and didn't notice any reference that the old model would remain available once Comcast comes in.

Just curious if there are any sources to support that we can stay on our current boxes when the new model comes out.

I certainly hope so, but not confident - will they run old cable technology model side by side with IPTV?

Legitimate concern by anyone who may be thinking of buying a box.

Personally, give this obvious unknown, and the number of years it takes to recover the cost of a box compared to renting, I personally wouldn't take the risk - I already have a nextbox 3,purchased, which I now I will have to dump when it dies, which many have reported happening.  At least the 4K box is only a little over a year old, so should keep running for a while, as long as it can be supported with the change in technology.

All of our guesses are valid at this time, and just as an aside, are we ever paying for the failures of the last few years, and I agree, we can probably expect further increases as the new technology and hardware gets fully rolled out.

I know this doesn't answer the OP's original question and other one's about should they buy a box, even if they can find one, but it is food for thought anyway.

As always, good points for thought everybody.

Bruce

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @BS

I never said the current 4K PVR box or 4K box will work with IPTV. I said that they won't work with the IPTV. The only way they will is if Rogers enables it. Do remember Rogers had promised they would bring Netflix to their cable boxes once 4K hit. What happened there? That was a non existing thing that happened.

" They won't make the current boxes obsolete.. They will keep them around for the ones that won't want to get IPTV and X1. That was confirmed by Rogers after the announcement in the meetings. " Maybe I should have worded it a bit different but as I meant to say was they will keep the current boxes still here for the ones that do NOT want to jump to IPTV or X1 at the moment as those boxes are different then the ones we have. I'm pretty sure also Rogers will change a arm and a leg to have this platform as we can see from the current cable plans we have and box rental fees for the 4K boxes.

Speaking to a source withi Rogers that was in the meeting, he was advised that Rogers will still keep the NextBox cable boxes running on older cable plans u til further notice once they bring out IPTV. They won't fully cancel the cable for IPTV once IPTV comes out. That would cause more uproar and more headaches as then Rogers would have to deal with customers having to switch to IPTV and boxes all at once. Which would cause a system failure if that does happen.

Just saying what i was told. At this point as i said it's anyone's guess what happens but I really doubt Rogers will terminate older cable plans ( the ones we have now with the current boxes) to have everyone within Rogers cable switch over to IPTV.

Remember in order for all that to happen, it takes months for Rogers to bring it all live to each city and zone. Rogers will be testing it within a area starting to next year and then roll it out slowly once all is done.

Rogers failed to bring out IPTV when they were testing it and failed to even do anything with it. Wasted so much money on it meanwhile not the want us to get X1 them which i will do BUT not if it will cost me a arm and a leg per month. I am already paying almost $200 for cable alone st this moment ( VIP package, WWE channel, ( Some Greek channels for my parents), Cooking channel and some other things. Ontop of that a 4K PVR box rental, NextBox 3.0 box rental.)
I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks for the clarification.  And I agree, there is a lot of testing that will be done before anything makes it out (I hope - their track record on testing has not been good).

My apologies if I misunderstood what you were saying, I read the reports and couldn't find what you were suggesting, but I will take your word on it.  You are right, if they yanked traditional Cable for IPTV, I am sure customers would go ballistic.

Without a doubt you are paying far more for TV than I am, mine is just VIP with a loyalty discount (better choice bundles), an Ignite discount that disappears in October, and a HBO add-on.  I am not an active TV watcher in general, don't watch sports or speciality channels - I am antequated in my mindset - I still primarily watch the channels that I can get over the air from digital antenna - just priced it out today - 5 months of my cable would pay for it plus boxes and installs, including PVR functionality, and then use an android box for things like Netflix and my favourite online sports - golf (the classics), snooker international on You Tube, darts on You Tube, and European road cycling (the tours and the spring and fall classics and cyclecross - I used to be a coach and competive racer, as well as competition golf, darts and snooker, so those remain my interests), but I digress. Back to IPTV and old cable model.

I do hope that they can get this one right this time, but I think the old model's time is limited.  Just speaking from the perspective of a techy who has done way too much work in the field over the years, and still works on beta tests in the software field in software I use - I don't do much hardware beta tests as I am more a passive tester in those environments, while in software, I am able to influence the changes from the perspective of an engineer, developer, implementor and as a user. I am in the middle of a very big implementation beta test that is over 3 months late, and 3 weeks past the last drop dead date, and on my own files on their servers, I still can't access them from the new builds of software.

So I acknowledge that I probably misread the reports, and misinterpreted what you wrote and for that I am sorry - I am only human, and their reports are merely future financial implication projections as required by GAAP reporting standards for financial reports, open for interpretation, and as we have seen in the past, sometimes they don't fall out as hoped, and they end up with significant financial implications (i.e., if it goes the wrong direction and costs them money - we usually can expect increases in our prices to cover it, and new technology).

Technology development is not a cheap business and we the consumer naturally bear the cost of getting it in place, both the successes and failures.

And thank you for the clarifications.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for that Meowmix, much appreciated.
I Plan to Stick Around

Double_K have you heard any additional updates on this new service?
Thanks.
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers 4K PVR 3.0 Purchase

Wondering if anyone has been recently able to purchase a Rogers 4K PVR 3.0 Nextbox and if so, which location or where did you make the purchase? I'm located in Ottawa and am looking to purchase one as well. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has recently been able to purchase one.

Thank you.