Anyplace TV and cable box

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Anyplace TV and cable box

Does the cable box need to be plugged in at home in order to watch Anyplace TV while travelling?

***Added Labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Anyplace TV and cable box

No.

Anyplace TV is a pure streaming product, and does not rely on the cable box for a signal. All you should need is a valid cable subscription with Rogers.
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks. I wondered because I unplugged the box before leaving and now find I can't access Anyplace from outside Canada, even though I'm using VPN.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

From the Anyplace FAQs - second dropdown:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/anyplace-tv-overview

• A Rogers SD, HD, or 4K digital box that you rent or own (digital adapters are not supported).

I'm not sure if Anyplace "checks" to see if the box is "active".  If it does, then it would not work if the box is unplugged.  It is true that Anyplace does not "rely" on the box as previously stated, however, it may "check" with the box...

This is conjecture on my part, although I have heard that a reboot of the box sometimes causes Anyplace to begin working again, which would imply a "relationship" between Anyplace and the box(es).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not 100% sure, but I believe that anyplace TV is Geographically restricted, like many other services.
IE:  When  you are connecting to Netflix from Canada, you get Canadian Netflix.  When connecting from the US, you get US Netflix. (US has a lot more TV stuff, but has lost all the Disney content, etc)

That the content on Anyplace TV falls under Canadian broadcast laws, licensing for the content for Canada, etc..  different people may own the rights in the US.

So its blocked out.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, from the first dropdown of the FAQ in my previous post:

Anyplace TV is a free service lets you watch sports, news, shows, movies and more, live or on demand wherever you are in Canada. 

I wasn't sure if the VPN worked around this, but it is restricted geographically.

I've Been Around

Yes. I confirmed this with Rogers last year when I wasn’t able to access the Anyplace TV online.  I was traveling in Canada and I had unplugged the cable box. I was told that the cable box needs to be plugged in for Rogers to know what channels you are subscribed to so that you can only access those online.