cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyplace TV App?

Tmothy12
I'm a Regular

Can you use the Anyplace tv app to set recordings if you don't have the Nextbox Enhanced guide?

 

 

 

 

 

 

***Edited labels***

92 REPLIES 92

Re: Anyplace TV App

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BH-TW wrote:

Just a couple of days and AnyPlace TV is no more. I understand Rogers wants everyone to move to Ignite TV. However, I live in a condo that does not have the ability to get Ignite TV and a new 5 year contract was signed at the beginning of the year with Rogers and we are and will continue to have the old Digital VIP Package. Is there any way to continue to watch Rogers cable on my computer, tablet or mobile phone until if/when our Digital VIP Package is replaced with Ignite TV or its successor?


I'm quite taken aback that Rogers would sign a 5-year agreement for Digital TV.  (More recent reports of this as well in this thread.)  I honestly don't know what to make of this.  Perhaps this is an interim step, until Roger can come up with a solution for implementing things like a Lobby Camera channel, etc. with Ignite TV.  Otherwise, this either means that they plan on keeping Digital TV around for much longer than I would have ever expected OR they plan on implementing a different TV solution sometime within the next 5 years, that will replace both Digital TV and Ignite TV... something that I also would not have expected.



Re: Anyplace TV App

57
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BH-TW wrote:

...I live in a condo that does not have the ability to get Ignite TV and a new 5 year contract was signed at the beginning of the year with Rogers and we are and will continue to have the old Digital VIP Package.


Does the contract actually state Digital Cable TV for those 5 years, or simply "Rogers".  I also find it hard to believe that Rogers would still have Legacy Digital Cable running in 4.5 years, although stranger things have happened.



Re: Anyplace TV App

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

@BH-TW wrote:

...I live in a condo that does not have the ability to get Ignite TV and a new 5 year contract was signed at the beginning of the year with Rogers and we are and will continue to have the old Digital VIP Package.


Does the contract actually state Digital Cable TV for those 5 years, or simply "Rogers".  I also find it hard to believe that Rogers would still have Legacy Digital Cable running in 4.5 years, although stranger things have happened.


Okay, but you can't have Ignite TV without Ignite Internet.  If the future is still Ignite TV, it will be interesting to see how the bulk agreement handles that detail.



Re: Anyplace TV App

57
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- wrote:  Okay, but you can't have Ignite TV without Ignite Internet.  

Although Ignite is (currently) sold that way to all (single) customers, there may be a way to handle it so MDU people don't have to have Internet.  For example, Bell introduced Zero-rated internet for their Fibe customers who did not want to have Internet, only Fibe TV. That was not the case when Fibe was initially available. Rogers may be able to do something like that since it's possible to control the speed of the internet and simply make it so slow that it's essentially unusable.

 

I can't remember whether we discussed that option previously or not...



Re: Anyplace TV App

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:
Although Ignite is (currently) sold that way to all (single) customers, there may be a way to handle it so MDU people don't have to have Internet.  For example, Bell introduced Zero-rated internet for their Fibe customers who did not want to have Internet, only Fibe TV. That was not the case when Fibe was initially available. Rogers may be able to do something like that since it's possible to control the speed of the internet and simply make it so slow that it's essentially unusable.

 

I can't remember whether we discussed that option previously or not...


We have in other threads.  This is fairly trivial to do with Fibe TV.  (IIRC, Fibe TV communicates primarily with private IP addresses in the back-end.)  With Ignite, the Ignite STB makes network connections to Rogers, to Comcast and to addresses on the public Internet, and Ignite TV was designed to integrate broadcast TV seamlessly with third-party streaming services.  I'm pretty certain that blocking Internet access would break Ignite TV in its current form.  I don't know how feasible it would be to implement functional Ignite TV connectivity but unusable Internet connectivity.



Re: Anyplace TV App

PastryCrisps
I've Been Here Awhile

It's interesting how Bell retired the satellite-specific apps and gave those subscribers access to Fibe's online VOD portal but Rogers wouldn't do the same with digital cable customers and Ignite. I'm no engineer, but it's hard to think that's impossible. Anyplace already knew which channels the digital TV subscribers had access to. I find it hard to believe that functionality couldn't have been mirrored to Ignite's online portal. I know the explanation is likely a very transparent, "We want people off of legacy and this wouldn't help that cause" but removing useful features and not accommodating with a price drop is trashy.

Re: Anyplace TV App

PastryCrisps
I've Been Here Awhile

@BH-TW wrote:

Is there any way to continue to watch Rogers cable on my computer, tablet or mobile phone until if/when our Digital VIP Package is replaced with Ignite TV or its successor?

TIA


My advice is to look up the web portals operated by the broadcasters themselves. While Anyplace is dead, I'm still able to log in and use Globaltv.com, CTV.ca, Citytv.com, TSN.ca, Sportsnet.ca, etc. Most of these offer the same VOD and live streams options you got on Anyplace, on many devices. The first two have a suite of their parent's company's speciality services and include content well beyond just their namesake. The drawback is that this alternative is nowhere close to being as comprehensive as Anyplace was. It's mainly limited to the big Canadian channel owners and even then, there are blind spots. Corus operates Globaltv.com, for instance, but none of their children's channels are available this way.

Re: Anyplace TV App

turkk
I Plan to Stick Around

We have a bulk tv and internet agreement for 8 years just signed. No wonder Rogers gave it away! I hate to think what they will do in the future. Will they transition us to Ignite with no added charges? Not very likely. 

Where do we all stand with this "Legacy" service?

Re: Anyplace TV App

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@turkk wrote:

We have a bulk tv and internet agreement for 8 years just signed. No wonder Rogers gave it away! I hate to think what they will do in the future. Will they transition us to Ignite with no added charges? Not very likely. 

Where do we all stand with this "Legacy" service?


Rogers has not provided any information about the future of Digital TV.

 

With the recent shakeup of its Board of Directors, it's inevitable that there will be a significant change in the company's leadership ranks, and potentially a massive change to the services that Rogers will offer and the way that they are delivered.  However, the first priority will be to bring closure to the merger with Shaw.

 

Right now, I would not make any predictions about anything; not even on the future of Ignite TV.  I'm sure that the company is evaluating all aspects of its business: What is working well, what isn't.  What aspects of the business are healthy and profitable and which are not.  What is attracting new customers and what is driving existing customers away.  They will be doing the same with Shaw's business units.

 

Until they finalize all of the above and finalize the integration strategy, we won't really know what the combined company will look like, what the new leadership team will look like, or what will change in the company's short-term and long-term strategies.

 

After the Shaw deal closes, Rogers will also have a huge number of customers who still subscribe to 'legacy' TV and Satellite services, and they will need to figure out how to accommodate and retain those customers.  That will determine the future of Digital TV, and what may or may not happen with a replacement for Anyplace TV.

 

 

Edit: One thing I did not realize: It looks like Shaw have also retired their version of Anyplace TV and allow their digital TV customers to stream live TV with the BlueCurve TV app.  However, their Digital TV service is not dead yet either, although they are in the midst of retiring legacy cable set-top boxes.  (BlueCurve is their equivalent of Ignite TV.)