cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyplace TV App?

Tmothy12
I'm a Regular

Can you use the Anyplace tv app to set recordings if you don't have the Nextbox Enhanced guide?

***Edited labels***

92 REPLIES 92

Re: Anyplace TV App?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 I see 532 is PBS Seattle. I mostly only get Canadian timeshift channels on my VIP, but I presume you get American ones too with VIP Ultimate. I also see that 527 (ABC Seattle, which I do get), 528 (CBS Seattle) and 529 (NBC Seattlet) are missing from the Anyplace guide.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

DB107
I've Been Around
I recently bought an LG smart TV and tried the Rogers Anyplace TV on it but it doesn't work it

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DB107 : If you look at the following Anyplace FAQ you'll see that it only works on certain devices - see second dropdown:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/anyplace-tv-overview

You’ll need:

• A Rogers Digital TV package subscription.
  • A Rogers SD, HD, or 4K digital box that you rent or own (digital adapters are not supported).
  • An active internet or wireless data connection.
  • A computer with an up-to-date browser to access Anyplace TV online, or a smartphone/tablet running iOS or Android to use the Anyplace TV app.
    • Supported browsers: Chrome, Microsoft Edge, IE 11
  • A MyRogers profile, with your Rogers Digital TV account linked to it.

Re: Anyplace TV App

JSL2020
I've Been Around
When we try to use browser on Samsung smart TV it says it is not a supported browser.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JSL2020 : If you look at post 66 of this thread, the one above yours, you'll see that your combination is not supported.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@JSL2020 wrote:
When we try to use browser on Samsung smart TV it says it is not a supported browser.

Yes, it only supports a small number of Rogers favourite browsers, MS Edge, IE 11, Chrome and Safari. It doesn't even support my default browser, Firefox. But Smart TV browsers are rudimentary and proprietary and you'd hardly expect Rogers to support them. I haven't used the one on my Samsung Smart TV in a long time because I get better results with apps like YouTube, Netflix, Prime Video, etc. However, it would be a brilliant idea for Rogers to develop an Anyplace app for Smart TVs. Not everyone wants to watch on a 2" screen instead of a 55" one.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I received the following e-mail from Rogers today:

We occasionally review and make changes to our products and services as part of our ongoing efforts to deliver experiences that create more value for our customers. As part of these efforts, we sometimes transition from older products and features with low usage. Starting on October 10, 2021, the Rogers Anyplace TV service included with your Rogers Digital TV subscription, will no longer be available. Since this service is accessed through an app and online streaming portal, you’ll no longer be able to view subscribed programming on your computer or mobile devices via Rogers Anyplace TV.

We noticed that you’ve previously downloaded the Rogers Anyplace TV App. To continue streaming, contact us for more information on other options available for you.

The rest of your Rogers TV service will remain the same. This change is made in accordance with the CRTC Television Service Provider Code. If you have any questions or no longer wish to subscribe to your Rogers Digital TV service, chat with our virtual assistant Anna for fast, easy support at anna.rogers.com/home

It appears that this will affect anything to do with AnyPlace, however, I was wondering if this affected the guide information in the app and/or browser.  Can we get clarification/confirmation on this @CommunityHelps ?

I assume that if you wish to stream, you now need to switch to IgniteTV? 

Another nail in the coffin of Digital TV...

zomby
I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure if anyone heard the news but Rogers is no longer supporting Anyplace TV after October 10, 2021. I really do not like this move (is it really a CRTC new policy, if so they need a head scratch).
Being able to watch cable TV on your TV and anywhere in your home on any devices is a must and it's the future. Removing this tool, its like time travelling back in the past.

Reasons to like anyplace tv:

1. While your partner watches TV, you sit on the sofa with your Ipad or Tablet and you can also watch TV or better yet PVR stream episodes you missed.
  2. Sometimes I sit in bed and I just want to watch TSN for seeing the highlights, no better way to do this in bed on your phone, without getting up to turn on the TV.
  3. Watching TV on the go, anywhere you go, if you have internet connection, you can watch your cable provider channels. This will be missed? 😞
  4. Cable and Internet TV is a must

Please Rogers, do not take this fantastic feature away from your users, instead the tool should be improved with better speed and security and available on both IOS and Android. Need everyone support to complaint to Rogers and CRTC about this!!! raise your voice.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@zomby : Rogers is transitioning everyone off Legacy Digital Cable to IgniteTV.  I believe any complaint regarding this will fall on deaf ears.  If you wish to stream, you'll need to switch to IgniteTV.  See my post just ahead of yours.

The CRTC reference is probably just that they need to give you certain notice regarding features.   

zomby
I Plan to Stick Around

I see, but the issue with Ignite TV is they dont offer enough cable outlet, up to 2 maximum, which does not work for families of 4. Both my kids have TV in their room. For the price and the less outlets, the reason I can't choose IgniteTV, they need to improve their features.

for me anyplace tv with my currect package works great, I do not experience any lags. I see that Ignite TV app exist, hopefully even if they stop supporting anyplace tv that I can continue to using it, if not than it is really bummer.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@zomby wrote:

I see, but the issue with Ignite TV is they dont offer enough cable outlet, up to 2 maximum, which does not work for families of 4. Both my kids have TV in their room. For the price and the less outlets, the reason I can't choose IgniteTV, they need to improve their features.

So ignite TV users will continue using Anyplace TV app? or are they using a different digital app?

I think you misunderstand.  Ignite TV does not use cable outlets.  Ignite TV set-top boxes connect to your in-home network (typically over Wi-Fi but they can also connect using an Ethernet cable) and channels are streamed over your Internet connection.  You can have up to 10 set-top boxes but you also need to have an Internet plan that will provide enough bandwidth to support the number of set-top boxes that will be streaming at the same time, similar to how you would need to have enough Internet bandwidth to support a FireTV stick or an Apple TV box.

Reasons to like anyplace tv:

1. While your partner watches TV, you sit on the sofa with your Ipad or Tablet and you can also watch TV or better yet PVR stream episodes you missed.
  2. Sometimes I sit in bed and I just want to watch TSN for seeing the highlights, no better way to do this in bed on your phone, without getting up to turn on the TV.
  3. Watching TV on the go, anywhere you go, if you have internet connection, you can watch your cable provider channels. This will be missed? 😞

Ignite TV also has its own app, that is available on both Android and iOS, which will allow you to do all of this and more.

zomby
I Plan to Stick Around

Internet TV plus movies streaming like netflix, disney plus, gaming and internet browing/downloading, up to 4 people in the house using the services at the same time, even with unlimited internet, wow, thats alot of bandwidth.  Also too many devices using WIFI can cause hiccups/glitches, internet restarting to fix connectivity/speed issues can be a pain. One good reason to have COAX cable has well.

IgniteTV would work better with fast ethernet cables all around the house, still prefer having both CableTV and DigitalTV combined.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@zomby  Ignite TV uses 10 Mb/s of bandwidth for each HD channel that you watch; 25 Mb/s for each 4K channel.  If you have enough bandwidth available to support a household of heavy Internet users and your current streaming services work well, then Ignite TV should work well.  Yes, you will need to ensure that your in-home Wi-Fi is installed properly and working optimally.

I have been an IPTV customer (with both Bell and Rogers) for the last 10 years, and have been working with IPTV (and related technologies) professionally going back even farther than that.  I would not go back to using legacy technologies, such as Cable or Satellite, unless I had no other choice.

rgabows
I've Been Here Awhile

Less for more.  That should be the new Rogers tagline.

Last month they increased my cable fee $30 a month.

This month they take away a service i used - Rogers Anyplace TV.

Outstanding.  Wouldn't expect anything else from Rogers.    Just horrible experience for a 30 yr customer who unfortunately has few options to change.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rgabows  Okay, but the infrastructure that delivers and supports Digital Cable TV has reached end-of-life and the technology itself is getting very dated.  It's also costs a lot of money to keep that legacy infrastructure powered and maintained.  There's no future for Digital Cable, and at some point Rogers needs to shut it down, and it really should have been shut down years ago.

Digital TV customers need to prepare for the day when the service will no longer exist.  Watch all the content on your PVRs and look at what (and whose) service(s) you will be subscribing to next.

Rogers also needs to have a look and their current Ignite packages and pricing, make their offerings as compelling and competitive as possible, and finally announce a retirement date for Digital TV.

GregR
I Plan to Stick Around
So what is it going to cost me to switch to ignite vs my current package??

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@GregR : You'll need to contact Rogers to find that out. Each person has a different package, etc.

This thread is about AnyPlace......

GregR
I Plan to Stick Around
Yes I know I have anyplace tv - that is why I asked

GregR
I Plan to Stick Around
I am on line with a Rogers rep who apparently knows nothing about this email on anyplace tv

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@-G- wrote:

@rgabows  Okay, but the infrastructure that delivers and supports Digital Cable TV has reached end-of-life and the technology itself is getting very dated.  It's also costs a lot of money to keep that legacy infrastructure powered and maintained.  There's no future for Digital Cable, and at some point Rogers needs to shut it down, and it really should have been shut down years ago.

Digital TV customers need to prepare for the day when the service will no longer exist.  Watch all the content on your PVRs and look at what (and whose) service(s) you will be subscribing to next.

Rogers also needs to have a look and their current Ignite packages and pricing, make their offerings as compelling and competitive as possible, and finally announce a retirement date for Digital TV.

I was a Rogers Cable customer for maybe 15 years and it was a great experience. In 2009 I received a Rogers telemarketing call offering me a free SA8300SD PVR and a digital package for less than I was currently paying. Of course I jumped at it. I ended up upgrading to VIP and still saved money. Since then I bought a refurbished SA8300HD and was also given one by my daughter, who left Rogers Cable. I was a happy camper. But over the years Rogers  became more and more expensive and subsequent STBs lost features, which is why I stayed with the SA8300. Then Rogers added remote PVR programming, but later took it away due to licensing fees they or Comcast didn't want to pay. When Ignite was introduced I looked into it, but it would have cost me twice as much and I'd have to leave my ISP I'd had for decades and lose my email address I'd registered on a hundred websites.  Then my ISP put fibre in my subdivision and last year I switched to their IPTV, bundling everything for about the same total price I was paying, plus a better choice of channels over VIP.

It's clear that Rogers is phasing digital cable out due to the sparse packages now offered and apparently new customers can't even get it, only Ignite. Rogers may be the biggest, but there are many competitors snapping at their heels, so they need to be more competitive or lose market share as digital cable customers leave.

BH-TW
I Plan to Stick Around

Just a couple of days and AnyPlace TV is no more. I understand Rogers wants everyone to move to Ignite TV. However, I live in a condo that does not have the ability to get Ignite TV and a new 5 year contract was signed at the beginning of the year with Rogers and we are and will continue to have the old Digital VIP Package. Is there any way to continue to watch Rogers cable on my computer, tablet or mobile phone until if/when our Digital VIP Package is replaced with Ignite TV or its successor?

TIA