Anyplace TV App -- CBC removed during Olympics

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Anyplace TV App -- CBC removed during Olympics

I just installed the Rogers TV service on Friday, moving from Bell and specifically for the Olympics.  I enjoyed using the Anyplace TV app on ios devices to watch the Olympics on CBC.  Today I noticed that CBC has been removed from the app.  I initiated an online chat with Rogers and this is what the agent told me:

"Due to rights issues, access to CBC and Radio-Canada feeds on Rogers Anyplace TV will be unavailable during the games."

Seems to me this is a great disservice to Rogers customers.

Why is this the case?  I would appreciate a fuller explanation than the one that I cited above.

Thanks.

*** Added Labels ***

Re: Anyplace TV App -- CBC removed during Olympics

Hello @thm655321,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for your post.

I definitely share your interest in the Winter Olympics, especially the hockey games!  Unfortunately, there really isn't a much more detailed answer than the one you already received. Rights and licensing agreements are different across platforms these days. While you can watch CBC coverage on your set-top box, streaming coverage is not available.  On Anyplace TV, you can access Olympic coverage airing on Sportsnet. To live-stream CBC’s coverage of the games, you can always use the CBC Sports Olympics app.  

I hope this helps!

RogersShaun

I've Been Here Awhile

Except I have been watching CBC on the Anyplace TV app since the start of the Olympics.  Why did it suddenly stop?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It's possible that the CBC (or perhaps the content provider) just became aware of it and advised service providers of the rights issue.  See:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Outlander-new-episodes-on-demand/m-p/409177#M44323

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi.  I searched for this but can't find an answer.  Can anyone explain why I cannot get CBC Ottawa on my Rogers Anyplace TV? It is channel 8 on Rogers Cable, but doesn't show up in Anyplace TV at all.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Which version of the app are you using, and on what type of device?
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm using version 11.0.0 on an iPhone 7 and an iPad.  Not working on either.

I've Been Here Awhile

While we are at it, I notice I also can't get Channel 64 the WPBS station.  Any ideas on that?

I'm a Senior Advisor

@GordM1 wrote:

Hi.  I searched for this but can't find an answer.  Can anyone explain why I cannot get CBC Ottawa on my Rogers Anyplace TV? It is channel 8 on Rogers Cable, but doesn't show up in Anyplace TV at all.

Nobody can get CBC TV on RAPTV while the winter Olympics are on. I guess Rogers would have to pay royalties.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

hmm, this is very interesting.

Went to visit my uncle in the hospital. Instead of him paying the hospital to rent their TV for him to watch he had his tablet and the bell tv app on it. It appears the CBC feed was working for Bell customers because my uncle was watching the Olympics on his tablet with his bell app.  I can attest to this because I was his witness that it worked. Not sure why Rogers does not have an agreement with the CBC during the Olympics, but its also strange why there was no notice about this either. it seems strange, oh well, the Olympics are over now so its back to normal