Anyone left Bell Fibe TV for Rogers Ignite TV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Anyone left Bell Fibe TV for Rogers Ignite TV?

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has recently switched from Bell Fibe to the new Ignite TV? If so would you please let me  know how the following compares:

1) Picture quality 

2) Internet 

3) Ease of use

4) Price

I currently have 1gb Rogers internet and a 4k TV with Netflix, Crave, and Amazon.  (Wish there were a Canadian Hulu Plus and a Netflix type app for sports!) I am considering getting back into cable and I was curious how the 2 compared.   Thanks!

***Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Anyone left Bell Fibe TV for Rogers Ignite TV?

1. The broadcast channels on Bell Fibe are sent to the box as 720P.  Therefore the PQ is typically "softer" on Fibe.  Bell reduces all (non-on-demand) channels to 720P due to limited bandwidth typically, especially for FTTN, rather than FTTH applications, as well as their Satellite business.  I should clarify that Bell doesn't have different quality for FTTH, I was only  mentioning it because Bell provides 720P to all their customers.

2. Internet speeds on Rogers, especially for any tiers below the top-tier typically deliver what you pay for, perhaps a bit more.  Bell speeds will depend on FTTN, which doesn't have the bandwidth for high speeds, even with "pairing".

3. Although Navigatr has been a disappointment, Ignite users have had nothing but praise for the interface and the options available.  Check out the various Ignite threads in this forum for more information.  Check out the guide images in the link below:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Ignite-TV-Guide-Images/m-p/423979#M46790

4. Someone else will need to comment on price, but I believe it's "comparable", provided you're not comparing "promotional deals".

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi 57.  Thanks for your quick reply. Quick question.  You described Bell Fibes display. Would you know the display level for Ignite TV?  Thanks!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I do not know what it is for Ignite.  For Navigatr, Rogers sends whatever the channel broadcasts, be it 720P or 1080i.  The "resolution" is not the only factor in PQ though because the bitrate and type of compression also comes into play. For example, even though SARA firmware also sends 720P and 1080i to the box, the PQ is not as good as it is on my 9865 on Navigatr which I have set to output 1080P to my 4K TV.

People who have started using Ignite say the PQ is as good or better than Navigatr.

I Plan to Stick Around

I can say that the ignite picture quality is very good.  That said, it takes approximately 3 seconds for each channel to properly tune in.  It is extremely slow.  Once it tunes in, the picture is blurry for the first few seconds before coming in clearly.  For channel surfers, this is a deal breaker as you just cannot channel surf due to the lag. 

The hardware is nice and small which is great.  If you are using a universal remote currently, it will need reprogramming as the IR codes for this system are different (use Comcast Xfinity codes).  I've only had about an hours experience with this system in two different homes.  While it looks promising, I wouldn't consider switching yet.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, ghard1,

I appreciate your review. The channel surfing would drive me crazy!  I hope this is a firmware issue that will be resolved soon.  I love new technology, but I think they may have released it a bit early.

I Plan to Stick Around

I wouldn't say it was released too early. It has been out to customers for several years Xfinity X1 platform.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Biollw,

I wish I could see it in action.  I have been to 2 stores and both were unable to display Ignite IPTV or it's features at all.  Both stores said they had a tech coming back for the 3rd/4th time.  I would have least made sure the stores were up and running before rolling it out.  If Bell could offer 150-250 Mbps, instead of 50, in older neighbourhoods they would own this market.

I Plan to Stick Around

I felt the same way. I could have gotten Bell Fibe but I am FTTN. Best speed I could get would have been 50meg down. They are no competition to Rogers in my 12 year old neighbourhood with Inet at 1gig down. 

Bell has one node in this area whereas Rogers has 6 fiber boxes. One just at the beginning of my cul-de-sac street 200 yards away.

Consistent downloads. Now get 560meg down day or night. Never had a problem with it. In 11 years of living here I have never had to call support.

I switched TV last year from Bell satellite to Rogers after Bell's infamous consistent bi-yearly price increases.

Mostly happy with the Ignite TV. Have had some audio cut outs but it is working very good. I'd like to see some software changes to the interface but I can do without it if needed.

I really like the search functions where it searches not only scheduled TV but also on-demand and Netflix. Also the episodes too. If you happen to find and watch a show, select episodes and it shows you all available episodes.

My location is in London, BTW.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well, I'm glad to hear you like the product.  I've been researching it as much as I can for the last 6 months. In fact, I had been calling Rogers stores for months to get updates.  When I heard it was finally in the stores I couldn't find one that worked.  But none the less I called to have it installed.  Then they told me that the same services I have now would be 30/month more plus the 150 install fee.  I just couldn't justify a 400 cable bill to my wife or myself really  Smiley Sad    Of course Bell will give me the same packages for 150/mo but only with 50 internet.  That won't fly.   

......On a side note, many of the Rogers employees I spoke with didn't know much about Ignite TV and said they didn't have cable.  They just streamed everything to their phone, PC or tablet using different apps.   

Topic Stats
  • 31 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 13 in conversation