Analog to Digital

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Analog to Digital

Hi everyone, sorry if something similar has been asked before:

I have an old tv that has nothing but a "Cable In" hole. A cable coming from the ground goes into this and I get my "basic cable" channels.

I bought an analog to digital converter box as a Rogers employee told me long ago that's all I needed. I put the cable from the ground into the "RF in" hole on the box and then another cable from the "RF out" hole on the box to the tv. When I do a channel scan, I get nothing.

Any info is appreciated,

Thanks.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Analog to Digital

I do not get it. I have a Sharp Aquos flat-screen TV. I have a relatively basic Rogers cable TV package. Why do I need the dinky DTA50 digital adapter to convert digital signals to analog signals for a TV that supports digital signals? In fact, why am I receiving analog signals at all?

Besides, why must I use the crappy DTA50 remote control in place of the much more functional and versatile remote that comes with the Sharp Aquos TV?

The only reason I am considering the digital adapter is because my American PBS signal  is on analog channel 97 and the picture quality is very poor. The station went digital a year or two ago but the signal never improved. But if the DTA50 is simply converting all cable signals to analog, then there is no reason to expect a better signal on channel 97.

Thoughs and opinions?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi PJB I am sorry you don't understand why you need a digital adaptor.  I hope I can shed some light on why you need one, and why you won't able to plug the coax into the sharp aquos and receive the same channels no more.

First of all, Rogers already transmits your analog tv signals digitally on the same cable line, because digital transmission is a very efficient way to send channels down a cable tv wire but analog isnt;  Analog transmission unnecessarily takes up a lot of that precious cable space that could be otherwise used to add more channels or faster internet.

When they turn off the analog, the free adaptor you received will continue to receive the SAME exact lineup, plus they give you a FREE remote. which if you absolutely can not stand the dinky remote they give you, feel free to ask a rogers store if they have an alternate model to provide or you can even buy your own and program it to work with scientific atlantic.

One more thing, even though your tv has a digital tuner, it is a one way tuner and speaks a different language than the digital signal rogers sends down its pipe,.    if you ask rogers to order a specialty channel like Telelatino or Rai internazionale or maybe a spanish channel or movie channel then your tv will not know this, but the rogers box will, and will tune into the channel for you.  hope this helps

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

sorry i just want to make a correction, the DTA will not tune a specialty channel added to your package, it only tunes into basic cable, extended cable or vip packages, it can not display individually ordered channels.  fo that you need a regular STB which can be owned for really affordable rates if u look hard.  i bought mine (own it) for $40

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks Pauly

Bear with me on this one...

I understand that I cannot expect any additional programming with a digital adapter and that any specialty channels require a digital box (which differs from a digital adapter). What I cannot fathom is why I simply cannot program my TV to scan, receive, and display the digital signals and just be done with the old technology analog signals and skip the DTA50 as well. Am I recieving any digital signals right now without the digital adapter?

From what you have stated, Rogers' digital signal is not compatible with my TV's built-in digital receiver. . . Is this typical? When I scan for both analog and digital signals, well over one hundred channels are registered but most are blank. Accordingly, I program the TV to skip these channels. On occassion I find a functioning channel and I include it in my channel line up and then discover it is a blank the next day. No idea what is going on. Am I programing my TV improperly?

I do not mind using the adapter, it is just that the associated remote is just too basic and does not do my TV justice. I hate to be old school on this one, but I also hate having to use multiple remotes. Sure I can get a fancier 3rd party remote (I probably have one collecting dust somewhere already) but I still cannot accept the notion the digital-ready TV cannot process the digital cable signal and that I have to convert it an analog signal.  It begs the question: what digital signal is the TV supposed to process and display?

I'm a Senior Advisor

It is not that Rogers' digital signal is not compatible with your TV's built-in digital receiver. It is because Rogers encrypts the signals so that your TV's built-in digital receiver cannot receive them. Hence, the need for equipment provided by Rogers. There are numerous posts on this issue if you do an on-line serach. 

I'm Here A Lot

So the bottom line is that Roger's digital signals -- even for basic cable TV service -- are encrypted but the equivalent analog signals are 'free'. Accordingly, the DTA must be used to decode the digital signals and convert to analog for display on my digital-ready TV. It is reasonable to expect specialty channels and services to be encrypted since they require a custom subscription and the STB serves as the gatekeeper to decoding the signals.

Is it cheaper for Rogers to encode all digital signals and then distribute DTAs for free to both digital and analog customers? I would think it cheaper and technologically feasible to provide unencrypted basic cable TV channels and then offer free DTAs only to those will analog TVs.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I have to agree with PJB on this topic.  It is a bit mindboggling that with  todays TV's having digital capabilities that Rogers makes it necessary to use DTA's. One more complication when tecnology is supposed to simplify life and one more item to find space for.

At the moment I don't have any DTA's, but have four TV's just attached to the cable. When I am force into having to use a DTA i'm not sure where I will be able to put it for three of the four, especially the tiny TV in my kitchen. 

Maybe downsizing our living space wasn't such a good idea.  Smiley Tongue

It was just this year that I finally gave in and got a HD/PVR for the main TV just so I coud get Sportsnet One and still be able to record one TV show while watching another. Progress sure isn't as convenient or really for me much better than what I had in the past. I still prefer a real book or news paper over an e-reader. I guess I'm a bit of a dinasaur.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There have been many technological advancements since Analog TV Transmissions (NTSC).  The digital transmission is way more efficient than the analog transmission,  plus it allows you to use any remote, you can even ask the rogers store for a different remote, it doesnt hurt to ask, they will give u a bigger one with more feature buttons if available.

Secondly, if u change packages they simply send the updated subscription to the little DTA box and you will be instantly authrized to the higher tv package.  under the old way you are currently connected to, if u change package, ur tv is not smart enough to know to tune in, because there is a filter on your cable line that needs to be manually removed.  This requires a truck roll.  

I'm a Senior Advisor

Pauly wrote:

Secondly, if u change packages they simply send the updated subscription to the little DTA box and you will be instantly authrized to the higher tv package. 

It is my understanding that the DTA box can only be used by customers with basic cable. If you upgrade your cable package you will also need to replace your DTA with a digital terminal. Unlike the DTA, the digital terminal will need to be purchased or rented.