Alert Ready

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Alert Ready

Gdkitty wrote:

Interestingly.. my wife went to watch a recording of.. Quantico i think it was?  Was recording at the time of the alert.. on CTV i beleive it was?

Went to play it back.. 
No issues on OTHER recordings at that time.. as the NB3 did it as the OVERLAY.
But that channel... the channel ITSELF.. broadcast the alert over the station feed itself..
No way to clear, etc Smiley Sad

I was wondering why my recording of Quantico was clean, but now I realize I record it on a timeshift channel at 1:00am because of too many conflicts on Sunday evening.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

I think I was one of the first ones to report that the alert had been recorded on Sunday night - and the show I had recorded was Quantico.  That was the only show that I recorded at 10pm so I didn't realize it was the ONLY one where the alert was recorded as well.  I had found it odd that others had said it DIDN'T record, and now I know why.

So normally, one could just hit the pause button when watching live tv if an alert comes on, then hit play once it's done to avoid  missing any of their show?  I could live with that while they sort this out as to what should be broadcast as a red alert and what shouldn't.

I Plan to Stick Around

wished I'd known that before. Looks like it's gone and I haven't time to type it again.

Suffice it to say, Rogers needs to up its game in terms of how they present these alerts and let's hope the hundreds of parent/recalcitrant child incidents that occur daily in Toronto don't attrach amber alerts or the entire system will fail

I'm a Senior Advisor

I submitted a complaint to the CRTC after this Red Alert. Here is their canned response:

Thank you for your comments and feedback on the Emergency Alert System.

We want to assure you that, while these occurrences can be frustrating, the system is designed first and foremost to attract the attention of viewers and listeners. The volume must ensure that dangers and threats are effectively relayed to those who could be in harm's way. For this reason, as you can imagine, the system is more likely to 'over-alert' rather than 'under alert' and put lives at risk.

The alerting system, and how it is used, is the responsibility of the federal body, Public Safety Canada, along with the Emergency Management Organizations (EMOs) in the provinces and the territories. These organizations have created and approved the guidelines and standards that are used, including how the alerts appear and sound. This is not the responsibility of the CRTC or the broadcasters who deliver the messages. The CRTC’s role is restricted to ensuring that the broadcasting industry participates in the emergency alert system, as overseen by the EMOs, in co-operation with Pelmorex, the system operator.

With respect to the area included in the alert, this is the responsibility of the alert issuer (the police; fire; health; or environment officials), depending on the nature of the emergency. These officials are responsible to input into the system whether an alert should be broadcast locally, or province-wide, for example. The broadcasters comply with the requirement.

We continue to talk with Environment Canada, Public Safety Canada and the provincial EMOs to discuss concerns we receive from the public and from broadcasters to encourage the adoption of measures to improve the system. The system is still relatively new, and changes and improvements will continue to be made as it is used more.

We thank you for your understanding.

I replied that my complaint was about the irresponsible breach in protocol by somebody altering an Amber Alert to a Red Alert.

I Plan to Stick Around

ah, my worst fears are realized................. no one is responsible ;-)

I'm a Senior Advisor

Oh, I'm sure someone is responsible, it's just withheld from the public.

I've Been Here Awhile

It's very hard to post a criticism of this thing because obviously one can't object to the principle of the amber alert on cable TV. It's an absolutely wonderful idea in principle. But Rogers' implementation is thoroughly inept. (a) It's accompanied by a loud siren much louder than the program material - and it keeps repeating, with no way to cancel it; (b) it corrupts the operation of the remote control, eg movie indexing no longer works; (c) it's very slow and clunky to deliver its information; (d) it doesn't cancel itself when the alert is finished. An example of the latter: there is a Toronto alert on right now. It is still disrupting our Ottawa TV right now even though we learned from Facebook over an hour ago that the child had, happily, been found safe and sound. I know it sounds hard-hearted to object to this thing but the reason it deserves Rogers' serious attention is that it's incredibly poorly done. And that's a big problem because if the system annoys people so much it will no longer be useful so its purpose will be thwarted. Shame on you Rogers for penny-pinching and not doing the job right. I think your customers expect you to be more public spirited than that.

I'm a Senior Advisor

This instance was a misuse of the system by those administering it, masquerading an Amber Alert as a Red Alert. In view of the public outrage, it probably won't happen again unless there actually IS a disaster situation.

I Plan to Stick Around

Here we go again, another Sunday evening and another Amber Alert.

I guess we can used to this as a regular feature.

polarbreeze has it right, emotionally speaking, it is not going to be popular to complain about it but intellectually posting these alerts in the format they are currently posted in makes little sense. 

Clunky, intrusive and of questionable benefit. This one had a license number listed. I guess I wonder how many people will be watching it and end up going out on the road and even remember the license number. Maybe Bell's implementation is more tolerable.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nope, it kicks you off of the channel that you are watching which is bad news if you happen to be recording it.

@oldyeller....actually, Amber Alerts are included in the CAP-CP Event References 1.0 document which lists all of the currently accepted event types that can generate an emergency alert. I think you spelled it out pretty clearly earlier, but, I'll add a few further notes:

1. The emergency message system is mandated by the CRTC.
2. The system is operated by Pelmorex, the same company that brings you the weather channel. There are numerous links provided on Pelmorex's site below.
3. The look and sound of the alerts are governed by the Common Look and Feel Guidance 1.1 document.
4. The type of events generating an alert are found in the CAP-CP Event References 1.0 document.

So, its a must carry broadcast as mandated by the CRTC.  The broadcasting companies, Rogers, Bell, Telus, Shaw, etc, have very little control if any, over the events that are broadcast and the look and sound of the broadcast.  If anyone has a beef with the system, then they should be pushing for amendments to the CAP-CP Event References 1.0 document and the Common Look and Feel Guidance 1.1 document.

Remember that the message system is imposed on cable and satellite receivers that have been around long before the emergency message broadcast was even thought of.  So, no doubt there are technical limitations imposed by the receivers themselves that companies have had to work around.  That might be looked at as a poor implementation of the system, but, there may not have been any choice when it came to presenting the alert.  There are no doubt, arguments of the range of the message, "I'm 500 miles away, what good does it do me?" However, that may vary with the type of message.  If this is a natural disaster type of event, such as a tornado alert, you might happen to have relatives or friends in the affected area who might not have seen of heard of the alert, but, lucky you, you have the ability to call or text that individual, keeping them out of harm's way.  You never know how its going to turn out.

If you're really perturbed, then you should probably be contacting the Senior Officials Responsible for Emergency Management (SOREM).  This group is responsible to a group of Federal, Provincial and Territorial Ministers and Deputy Ministers.  Since this falls under Emergency Management, it would probably fall under the Hon Yasir Naqvi, MPP (Ottawa Centre) in his role as Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services.  No doubt there is a Emergency Management staff member charged with the responsibility of representing Ontario on the SORUM group.

So, if anyone feels that there is an absolute need to change the Emergency Message system, here are a few links to get you working towards that.  You should be starting from the top down, rather than bottom up from the broadcasters, who are at the bottom of the food chain:

https://alerts.pelmorex.com/

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/pblctns/ntrprblt-strtg/index-en.aspx

http://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/pblctns/capcp-ntro-rl-st/index4-eng.aspx

http://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/mrgnc-mngmnt/mrgnc-prprdnss/npas/clf-lng-eng.aspx

http://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/pblctns/capcp-vnt-rfrncs/index4-eng.aspx#a11

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alert_Ready

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/mb/prog-serv/alerte-amber-alert-eng.htm

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/alert-ready-is-canadas-new-national-emergency-alert-s...

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/alert-ready#alert-audio

Topic Stats