Alert Ready

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Alert Ready

One alert fine, but bombarding people all night long. When we're 150 miles away?
Any reasonable person would agree, this does nothing but annoy people and defeats the intent of the amber alert in the first place. A classic case of not thinking.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @dogface

Instead of posting it on here, why don't u take ur time to post it on the CRTC when it's them and not Rogers...

It doesn't matter how far you live. Many don't understand this. If a child gets lost or adducted the yes it should be shared around the province they are in due to that person could be driving around ANYWHERE. So thus why they do it. To have eveyone keep a eye out.

EDIT.  For anyone complaining.  Go email the CRTC as if you go search with Bell,  Shaw and Telus u will see on their Facebook page it's the same thing.  It's not the carriers and they can't do anything.  AS the link was posted it's the CRTC that is doing it. The cable providers are going by what they got told to do. 

I Plan to Stick Around

"Many" understand perfectly well (and apparently a lot better than the CRTC does).

I am 150 miles away, in for the night (for once) and got themessage the first time they broadcast the alert. It's not like I'm going to be any more helpful after 10 alerts than I would be after the first. Or turn thr TV off and get my torch and pitchfork and go look for the perpetrator.

This is a classic example of a good idea poorly thought through and poorly executed. The Amber Alert itself was broadcast in several pieces, several minutes apart, all the while showing a large red banner background that remained onscreen for 45 minutes and blocked the top part of the screen. Once the painfully slow full allert was finished, it repeated again and agsain at the same agaonizingly slow pace.

I Plan to Stick Around

Ontario Provincial Police cancelled an amber alert after an Orilla boy was found safe and sound on Sunday night.

Police issued the alert after witnesses reported seeing a man and a child in some sort of “interaction” at the intersection of West Street South and Bond Street in Oriilla just before 6 p.m. The child, believed to be between 8 and 13 years of age, and the man were then seen leaving in a newer model Toyota Sequoia SUV, silver in colour.

No further details have been released.

At the time of the alert, police were not aware of any missing children reports in Orillia and were simply seeking information about the child.

Probably a father telling his misbehaved kid to get in the car.

Sounds like a false alarm triggered by some busy bodies

Anyone with a short attention span or anything better to do would have turned off the TV before the second line came though, one line at a time, about 3 minutes apart, repeating fornearly an hour

I've Been Here Awhile

I swichted to my other tv in the house ( which has an OTA - over the Air  set up-thus not Rogers) and it seemed that there was no Anoying alert at the time.

I've Been Around

I witnessed an AMBER alert message on my Rogers box last evening. First off it was very loud and obtrusive as well as extremely and painfully slow scrolling though the text. The volume was almost 2x louder than the volume of my program which frankly scarred me at first. Very disconcerting and possibly dangerous to anyone with a heart condition, seriously tone it down. The test itself seemed to take over 2 minutes to disply the actual message. Just as the message was reaached the warning signal/noise came screaming out of the tv again making everyone in the living room jump, was a horrible experience. Need to speed that up significantly.

Why is it that anything new never seems to be tested befiore being implemented? Released before being ready and more obtrusive than helpful. Fix it or there won't be anyone watching it and everyone will simply hit exit and disregard the message entirely. That's my plan the next time I see one if it hasn't been updated. Something that should be helpfull to all should not cause discomfort and frighten people.

I've Been Here Awhile

The amber alert started at 9.45 march 6 about a problem 100 miles away. It was on all channels and made all TV viewing impossible. It kept on going and was not temporary. We abandonned the TV for the night. Thanks Rogers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is no point taking out your frustrations with Rogers, Bell, Telus, Shaw or any other carrier that has been mandated by the CRTC to carry the Emergency Alert Message.  Take a read through post #45 of this thread or post #52 of the following thread:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Any comments or criticism should be made to the CRTC.

I Plan to Stick Around

It's not the CRTC I have a beef with. SOME viewers got the alert on a single page and could dismiss it after reading. I am fortunate enough to be someone who can remember what they read a moment ago (even days, weeks and months).

Rogers issued the alert one painfully annoying line at a time. Each line accompanied by a loud siren like noise, easily twice the value of the background progamming and even worse, blanked out the background audio (whihc then stayed blanked out for a minute or so). The red banner (with no message) remained and 3 or 4 minutes later, the next line of the alert was broadcast the same painful delayed way, This went onfor an hour as the message coninually repearted. What would have happend if the alert had not been cancelled? Would it still be continually transmitted 12 hours later?

Anyone who thinks this is a "useful" service has some serious logic problems going on. The concept is fine but the execution is a disgrace. And THAT IS something Rogers can deal with.

And I am sure Constable Edwards thought he or she was doing the right thing but it sounds a whole lot like some do gooder busybody saw a parent trying to deal with an unruly child throwing a temper tantrum about getting in the car and felt compelled to come to the rescue. After this unverified false alarm (clue was police message clearly did not have any specifics of the child or  missing person report behind it).  Then after all this fuss and comotion, the alert is queity cancelled with no other information than the child was found safe (probably home watching TV with its parents).  

People these days are awefully busy minding everyone else's business but their own.

Nope. Great concept but like a lot of things, severely impaired and damaged but sloppy and careless use and execution

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @dogface

I think you generally don't understand things here. Rogers does NOT have any control over the text, sound or how many lines are in the banner. Go look over on Bell's and Shaw's Facebook page to understand it. I'm sorry but please read things before blaming Rogers when it's not their fault for any of this. I don't understand how many of us have to keep saying this.
Topic Stats