Alert Ready

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Alert Ready

@OLDYELLRand @57

Absolutely  correct in both cases - we were sitting in a restaurant when the alert came over the TV, but not over our phones, as they are older Smart Phones.  Interesting how the model was not designed to be backwards compatible, or say even text based, or a phone message.  So I guess we have to survive as we always have without the alert.  I will count on someone to call me to tell me there is something going on, or just pass on in bliss, or be surprised by what is happening, as I would have been in the past.

Oh and yes, I would have to actually have my phone on at night, and I wonder if the alert comes when I have it on do not disturb, as I often have it, even when it is on.  As I said before, I am more likely to get it from my TV or my radio, yes, I still listen to radio.

Won't motivate me to get a new phone though or to turn my phone on when I don't want to be disturbed. Smiley Wink

Bruce

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Questions about amber alert warnings.

Why do some phones get it and others not  ... is there a setting  to change 

Why is the warning five times louder than any other alert on the phone ... I leave my phone on at night in case of family member emergencies ...I can hear it just fine  ...but when the amber alert goes off it's like an air raid siren  and wakes the whole house up . 

In my rush to shut off the siren noise I press ok  and the noise stops but the message disappears as well  ...so I still don't know what the alert is about .  Is there a setting that will change the noise level ? is there a way to retrieve the alert message once the siren has been silenced ?

I understand from an article I read  that  ,according to the police people were calling 911 and complaining  about the timing of the alert  ....I have no problem with the timing but I think there needs to be a rethinking of the volume  level of the alert on cell phones and TVs ...if you are watching or have them on  why is such a loud warning necessary ...just using the amber alert sound  but at regular volume would work so much  better to get my attention than what is done now . 

The issue for me  is  not about there being an alert at any hour of the day ...it is the unnecessary volume  that bothers  me and means I may not even see the alert  because of the rush to shut off the overwhelming  noise  .  it would help so much as well if the message was retained on the phone instead of disappearing  when the siren ends . This is not a Rogers issue that I now of  ... I just thought it was an issue worthy of discussion here . 

I'm Here A Lot

Air Raid Siren. I think you just answered your own question. It is loud. It says pay attention to me. Would you hear it the same way if your phone was in a pocket or purse. How about a crowded bar. A friend told me the bar he was in got loud when 100 phones went off simultaneously. While this situation had a tragic outcome let’s change the scenario slightly. You and your spouse are driving down the 401. Phone in your pocket goes off with an Amber Alert your spouse reads the message and says “hey that car in from of us has the same plate number as the one in the amber alert”. Does this explain why it is so loud. They don’t know where you store your phone. It is loud by design. It is loud by necessity.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@barndoor : Your questions are answered in the following link:

https://www.alertready.ca/#faq

If you don't wish to hear alerts, either turn your phone off, or put it to silent/vibrate.  The tone is designed to alert you, not to be similar to say a phone call or text.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I'm not sure that having your phone on vibrate will mute those amber alerts. If your  cellphone is your only phone and you have it on 24/7 in case of family emergencies or just as an alarm clock, you just have to put up with the occasional alert. In my case, my cellphone is only on when I need it and even then, it's an older phone which does not get the alerts,

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I'm not sure that having your phone on vibrate will mute those amber alerts. 

My iPhone 5S vibrated in the dish in the kitchen cupboard where I keep it.  It did not "ring loudly" or anything else.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@barndoor wrote:

In my rush to shut off the siren noise I press ok  and the noise stops but the message disappears as well  ...so I still don't know what the alert is about . 

On my iPhone 5s I can swipe up on the screen to read the alerts that came in.  Probably most phones have a feature of some sort to read the alerts after you've "pressed OK, or whatever", probably similar to a notification.

An alert may also set off a different tone than what you've set the phone for with regards to a text or phone call. That may be why it's louder than you're used to.  Check your phone for various settings.  I have my phone almost always on silent/vibrate and it simply vibrated last night.

A while back they had a test of the Alert system and I actually turned on my ringtone for a test and don't recall anything untoward happening on my phone when the alert went off.  I'm sure it may seem loud if it's something (tone) you're not used to, or if it goes off at night when everything is quiet,.

@rookie_2468 wrote:
 Does this explain why it is so loud. They don’t know where you store your phone. It is loud by design. It is loud by necessity.

No ...I have my phone set so I can feel it or hear it where I carry it . There is no need for extra volume  and the alert tone is distinctive anyway  so it is easy to tell that it is an alert . 

I will check further to  see if I can adjust the volume  but so far  if the alert setting is on ,on my phone I can't set it to just vibrate like @57 , I can only change the duration of the siren is all I can find.  The alternative  would be to shut alert access off on my phone  ...and what help would I be then ?

If everyone puts their phone on vibrate for the alerts  ....what is the point of the extra volume .

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I'm not sure that having your phone on vibrate will mute those amber alerts.

I'm not sure either  ... but on both my phone and a friends phone that I looked at if you go into settings  you can set certain parameters to the alerts . On his phone same as @57 he could set it for just vibrate for alerts . For me ,volume was not an option , I either get the siren  or I shut the alert capability off  completely . 

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi folks. New to Rogers.
We just had an 3 amber alerts in a matter of minutes and that’s not an issue. I tried to turn down the volume a bit and found my remote was completely disabled. I could not change channel or adjust audio. I also lost audio half way through each alert. Once the alert cleared ( I figured out you cannot clear off the alert after the third alert) the tv channel returned but each time the alert cleared, I had to reboot my tv box because the picture was frozen. Is this normal?