Alert Ready

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Alert Ready

98% of my issue is with the implementation of the Alert System.
It has nothing to do with Pelmorex, as I have contacted them the first time there was an alert last year, and they, in detail, explained how it is the cable and satellite companies that send it out to us, and they have no control over how they do so.

The problem here, with Rogers, is that different boxes react differently.
If you have a NB3, it works great. You get the message, you can hit exit, and you don't see anything again unless they update / change the message.
That's great. If it worked like that on ALL their boxes, I wouldn't have a complaint.
But since I have the old SD Explorer boxes, which you can't stop the warning, even hours after the alert has ended!
This leaves you with only an option of turning off your TV for the night, instead of being able to watch a show that you have been looking forward to.

Now I don't know if there's hardware limitations, or if it just software, but Rogers needs to do something about this. It is totally unacceptable to be getting an alert 2-3 hours after it has ended, and not be able to 'exit' out from it.
I Plan to Stick Around

My beef is the same one Nissan1 outlined. No one is arguing that saving children is not a worthwhile endeavour but the present implementation by Rogers on MY box does nothing to further that cause and arguably works against it. If these alerts are SO important, we don't really want people turing their TVs off the moment one interupts (which is theonly optiojn I have unless I want to sit in rapt impatience awaiting the next line of the message to show up for hours on end.  What I do know is I just got my Rogers bill (which inexplicably jumped from $144 to $172 per month) and I really ONLY watch TV Sunday evenings and now twice in two weeks my Sunday evening escape from the day to day pressures of reality hase been disrupted. This (as they say) is not a sustainable model for Rogers' revenue stream from me. To be honest at this point I'd rather cancel the entire thing than hassle with Rogers trying to figure out why they 'jacked my bill 20%

Regarding Datalink's (excellent) posting...........

There are no doubt, arguments of the range of the message, "I'm 500 miles away, what good does it do me?" However, that may vary with the type of message.  If this is a natural disaster type of event, such as a tornado alert, you might happen to have relatives or friends in the affected area who might not have seen of heard of the alert, but, lucky you, you have the ability to call or text that individual, keeping them out of harm's way.  You never know how its going to turn out.

The problem is, where do we draw the line? There are unfortunate emergency events happening every day all over the country and I know we are our sister/brother's keeper but honestly, if we get an amber alert every time a child runs away from home or has a temper tantrum in a shopping mall parking lot (a very frequent occurence) we will be inundated with Amber Alerts. Same with potential severe weather in Saskatchewan.

Being of a certain age, I cannot help but notice that in GTA "they" now issue severe weather alerts any time anythnig more than a slight dusting of snow is forecast. Works for me because it frightens the . off the roads but one cannot help but notice the implications.

Now if only they could issue Amber Alerts to warn of the Ontario's dire financial situation and impending bankruptcy before it is too late...........................

I've Been Here Awhile

+1 - it's a great idea but Rogers' implementation is appalling

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nissan1 wrote:
98% of my issue is with the implementation of the Alert System.
It has nothing to do with Pelmorex, as I have contacted them the first time there was an alert last year, and they, in detail, explained how it is the cable and satellite companies that send it out to us, and they have no control over how they do so.

The problem here, with Rogers, is that different boxes react differently.
If you have a NB3, it works great. You get the message, you can hit exit, and you don't see anything again unless they update / change the message.
That's great. If it worked like that on ALL their boxes, I wouldn't have a complaint.
But since I have the old SD Explorer boxes, which you can't stop the warning, even hours after the alert has ended!
This leaves you with only an option of turning off your TV for the night, instead of being able to watch a show that you have been looking forward to.

Now I don't know if there's hardware limitations, or if it just software, but Rogers needs to do something about this. It is totally unacceptable to be getting an alert 2-3 hours after it has ended, and not be able to 'exit' out from it.

Generally, my guess it partially is a hardware limitation in most cases.. (why else not do it the same across the board).

Been looking at people across the carriers, etc.. and its the same things, depending on where you go.

Rogers:
NB2/3 - Exitable overlay

SARA - Non exitable overlay
DTA - Non exitable overlay

Bell:
Fibe - Exitable overlay
Satalite - Acutally CHANGES the channel to an alert channel, kicks you out of whatever you were doing (watching or recording)

OTA:
The channel provider overlays it on the channel itself.  No way of clearing it.

I'm a Senior Advisor

First of all, I didn't have my TV on until after 7:30 p.m., so I saw no alert.

What form did this Amber Alert take? Was it a crawl along the top or bottom of the screen? Was there an audio alarm? Was it across all the cable network, whether live or playing recordings? Was it on top of Netflix and Shomi?

If the alert didn't cover the screen and the audio didn't drown out significant dialogue, what's the big deal?

If the alert kept being broadcast after the baby was found just before 6 p.m., that's a big problem and needs to be fixed right away if people are to take these alerts seriously.

So apparently you can dismiss the alerts on the Nextbox 3 by pressing Exit. Rogers needs to get busy and develop software for all other boxes to do the same.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

Don't know about the "overlay on channel" thing. Our experience is that the alert comes through real-time even if you're watching a previously recorded channel.
I'm a Senior Advisor

@polarbreeze that's how the inappropriate Red Alert was a couple of weeks ago. It was live over the cable network whether you were watching live TV or a recorded show. At least with recorded shows I could pause and rewind parts I missed due to the loud audio alarm. Since I seldom, if ever, watch live TV, dismissing the alerts isn't really a huge priority for me.

I Plan to Stick Around

Oldyellar,

Same form as last time. Red banner with excruciatingly slow moving text poistioned NEAR (but not at) the top of the screen (aboiut one "banner's height" BELOW the top of the screen) in a position that made it difficult to watch anything in the backgound, including read the Rogers channel selector screen current program information etc.)

I did not hear any screeching audio this time but I may have "tuned in" to an Amber Alert already in progress.  Was on mine continuously (slowly crawling one line at a time with several minutes between lines) from 8:00 PM until I switched off in frustration closer to 9:00.

Didn't check this time but from last time, PVR recorded the banner as well as the programming and replayed both.

Netflix was Amber Alert and banner free (and MUCH cheaper).

From my experience (and your information) it SOUNDS as if the incident that was the subject of the Amber Alert in the first place WAS ACTUALLY RESLOVED SOME TWO HOURS BEFORE  I initially tuned in and experienced Amber Alert banners. In future my reaction is likely to be "Oh, if it ever even was a real alert in the first place, they have probably already found the kid. "

This would make WAY more sense if broadcast over radio to be heard by those driving who might actually be likely to be in a position to SEE something useful in terms of resolution of the issue.

I'm a Senior Advisor

So basically the alert system is still in the testing stage and they haven't learned a lot from the Red Alert debacle a couple of weeks ago.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Here in Ottawa I only saw the alert for about a half hour. When I turned on the TV at 8:30 pm there was no alert showing.
For me, when the alert first started it was a silent red box then changed to a red banner and the siren lasted about one minute then just the banner. The banner appeared and disappeared off and on for about a half hour.
Topic Stats