Alert Ready

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Alert Ready

The earlier problems with Alert Ready were inconvenient, yes, but user aggravation is not the most important point here.

The authorities have to be extremely careful and selective when and where they trigger an alert.  Otherwise once the system has "cried wolf" a few times it will be ignored.  If it goes off frequently and every time it turns out to be an amber alert from 1000 miles away, people will simply ignore the message.  Then something that seriously affects them will come up and no one will pay attention.  

Also consider what might happen when a screeching tone suddenly happens while you are driving your car.  The distraction from the startling noise could easily cause an accident.  Consider that this might happen simultaneously in every single car on the highway.  It could only take one startled person to cause a serious accident. 

The alert sound should only happen once.  It should respect the phone's audio settings and not force it to full volume.  The notice can of course stay on the screen until the user acknowledges it.  

I'm a Regular

@dogface

The lists provided by Rogers (and others) are based on what they sell.

There are many other WEP capable phones -- as long as it's updated and enabled to accept "Emergency Alerts" - you should be good to go.

I've also been browsing around about the AlertReady mobile system and found an interesting bit from EmergencyBC's site which says that the alerts will work on LTE and 4G networks - will be interesting to see if thats the case, if so, thats awesome news!

I'm a Regular

@OLDYELLR, it has been said by the CRTC that carriers cannot charge/surcharge for the emergency alerts.
I've Been Around

Alert Ready for iPhone?

Why is it I can’t find anything for Alert Ready for iPhones? All it says in the website is that it will be available on April 6th.

I'm a Senior Advisor

There's no app to download.

AlertReady uses the phones built in abilities to deliver the alerts. Any LTE capable iPhone should be modern enough to receive alerts.

Ontario has a test scheduled for early May.
I'm a Senior Advisor

I was watching Elementary I had recorded on Global at 10:00 p.m. last night while it was still recording and was interrupted at least 3 times by a red alert about a tornado warning in Central Ontario (around Peterborough).  Anyone else get this?  I can see that red alerts of abductions can be valid all over Ontario, but how can a weather alert in Central Ontario concern me in Soutwestern Ontario?  I wonder if these can be limited to more specific regions when appropriate?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLRNo, you should have been seeing alerts at your location. (I'm assuming you haven't moved)
All the Tornado warnings were from Barrie, east, and moving in  an easterly direction.
I don't think there was even as much as a thunderstorm Watch where you are...
But yes, they are supposed to have this Alert Ready system regionalized, so that only the warned areas actually get an Alert on the TV .

I'm a Senior Advisor

It makes sense to only broadcast severe weather alerts in the areas affected, but I don't know that the system has that capability. This is something that was picked up on my recording. I very seldom watch live TV; I timeshift everything I follow and watch it at my convenience.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I was watching Elementary I had recorded on Global at 10:00 p.m. last night while it was still recording and was interrupted at least 3 times by a red alert about a tornado warning in Central Ontario (around Peterborough).  Anyone else get this?  I can see that red alerts of abductions can be valid all over Ontario, but how can a weather alert in Central Ontario concern me in Soutwestern Ontario?  I wonder if these can be limited to more specific regions when appropriate?

I encountered the same thing on my recording of Elementary and I live in Ottawa.  We didn't even have rain let alone a threat of tornados.

After the third alert interruption I gave up and watched Elementary using On Demand. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you read the emergency alert it also stated durham north region was part of the area so not just central ontario. I live in durham south so i was very close it makes sense to send me the alert too cus you cant predict tornado paths and anything can happen. So since durham is part of the gta we got it and so did other gta cities so i would not complain its better to be informed and nothing happen than to not be aware and your house gets blown away right?