Alert Ready

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Alert Ready

I don't blame Rogers for the alerts on Monday night.

I was watching American Ninja Warrior on CTV on Ottawa when the warning hit. The crawl was NOT generated by my Nextbox...it was inserted by CTV (Toronto I'm assuming). The Nextbox, nor my cellphone, registered the alert

So I'm assuming the glitch was with the networks, not Rogers.

There were tornado warnings in Ottawa today, and the NextBox properly generated the alert for the area.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

The alert that was recorded on the Monday broadcast was not just a crawl across the bottom of the picture. It was the full emergency alert that blocks out the program.
Maybe it only showed up on recorded programs because at that time I was watching something else and had no interruption.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jays77 : That to me would indicate that, although the alert blocked out the entire programme you recorded and was not a crawl, it was still generated by the channel/broadcaster and not Rogers, since the Rogers alert would have blocked out the live programme you were watching.

Of course, Rogers must display alerts according to instructions by the organization generating the alert and if they say it should go province-wide, then Rogers must comply even if there is only a small area of potential impact (like the Tornado in Oro-Medonte).  For example, the police often generate a province-wide Amber Alert, even if the "abduction" took place in Thunder Bay, 1300 km from Toronto...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Agreed, i think more were form the STATIONS themselves.

We were watching a recording of Elementry which was airing at that time. 
And it came up with the full page cover over for the warning.  
And it had the date that it was aired.

So it came from the station

I'm a Senior Advisor

If I recall. you can skip these alerts with the Nextbox 3.0 by hitting EXIT if you're watching live TV. But if you record everything you watch to timeshift, you'd have no control over that. In my case, I have a SA8300HD and couldn't skip these alerts anyway if I were watching live. Actually, the only reason I even posted this was that this is the first time I've ever encountered a Red Alert since they were introduced.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I've had a few but usually when watching live TV and as @57 mentioned, hitting exit ( at least when they are just a banner) shuts them off. I can't recall if the exit button shuts them off when the alert is full screen.

In any case It's not a big deal, just a tad annoying.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here are my results. I got the alert at 13:56.

iPhone 5S: I normally have this phone's ringer turned off, but I thought I'd turn it on today for the test. It was pretty loud alright. The alert writing was pretty small and difficult to read due to the colour combination (black print on grey background) and fairly small print. Noise stopped when I hit the home button.

Rogers 4290 STB: This STB is connected to a stereo receiver to listen to Stingray and it also went off at 13:56 a few seconds after the phone. I hit the exit key and the noise went away - good.

Rogers 9865 PVR: I turned on and looked at the PVR at around 14:05. The (red/white with scroll) notice took up part of the screen near the bottom and went away when I hit the exit key. I had scheduled two recordings for that time as a test and neither recording contained the alert - good.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

I knew about the alert, but did not think watch TV or set a recording to see if I could catch it.  As I recall, the last spate of alerts, mostly orange alerts miss-classified as red, came up on my PVR recordings, which was very annoying.  I had no reason to have my cellphone on, but it's an older one and doesn't get them anyway.

Which brings up another concern. What about people who don't have a smartphone that's on 24/7, or don't have a radio playing or TV on?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Which brings up another concern. What about people who don't have a smartphone that's on 24/7, or don't have a radio playing or TV on?

They (like my wife and me, when not testing) will die in blissful ignorance.  😉

I'm a Senior Advisor

So having a new smartphone on 24/7 is the key for survival.