Alert Ready

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Re: Alert Ready

Has anyone gotten a message on their Rogers mobile devices about the Alert Ready system starting in April 2018?

Hello @b-ry,

I don't believe we've begun sending messages as of yet, or at least I haven't received one on my personal device. 

For further information about Alert Ready, check out https://www.alertready.ca/

I hope this helps!

RogersShaun

I'm a Senior Advisor

I just checked the link, wondering if my PayGo phone will be getting these alerts and whether I'll be paying for them. It doesn't look like it. Here is the list.

Current compatible devices (if they are purchased from Rogers and the device software is kept up to date):

• Google devices: Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2 Pixel 2XL
  • BlackBerry: DTEK50, Priv, KeyOne
  • LG: Q6, V30
  • Samsung: S7, S7 Edge, S8, S8+, Note 8, Xcover 4, J3, S9, S9+
  • Sony: Xperia X Performance
  • Huawei: P10, P10 Plus, P10 Lite, Nova Plus, GR5

Additional devices that will be compatible when Alert Ready is launched:

• Apple: iPhone 5s/6/6+/6s/6s+/7/7+/8/8+/X
  • LG: G6

To check that your device is compatible, please contact your device manufacturer.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm Here A Lot

Is this an expansion of that annoying weather warning system in TV that we cannot turn off and makes TV unwatchable in Ottawa because it is snowing in Sarnia. I trust that any mobile alert can be turned off once received so as to not harass everyone every 3 minutes
I Plan to Stick Around

An excellent reason to dump a subscription phone. What would be pretty useful is a list of phones/services that WILL NOT get these annoying alerts.

I am fed up with an incompetent government intruding on every aspect of my life to provide unwanted "nanny" services.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I wouldn't count on it. If experience is any teacher, this government won't trust you to remember the message for three minutes.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think the Alert Ready for Wireless carriers is a GREAT THING.  I am going to sit back and wait for the haters to post how the emergency alert on their cell phone Has INCONVENIENCED THEM,  just like the same people who say the "Amber Alert" on the TV about an abducted boy or girl HAS SERIOUSLY INCONVENIENCED THEM, where they put their needs first before the needs of the public and safety of children.

Let's bring it on,

I'm a Senior Advisor

I'm sure there will be screw-ups on startup, just like there were with the Amber Alerts when they started, but that's all fixed now.  I only turn on my PayGo phone a few times a week when I leave the house so I hope I won't get deluged with accumulated warnings when I do and that they won't cost me.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm Here A Lot

Pauly thank you for your input but I think you may have missed the point entirely. A warning every three minutes about extreme weather 500+ Km away is not helpful. Technology exists to target the information to a specific audience where it is the most beneficial. Let me give you an an example using the scenario you mentioned, an Amber Alert. I subscribe to wirelessamberalerts.ca. I have set me region to an area of approximately a 100 km radius. When an alert is issued in my region or it is believed that the abductor is headed to my region I get a text message. I don’t receive messages about children abducted from Toronto and believed to be headed to Guelph. I won’t be of much help.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

you guys are forgetting something.  "A warning every three minutes about extreme weather 500+ Km away is not helpful" yeah it may be annoying, but guess what? it was also NEWLY LAUNCHED IN CANADA, And did not exist before, and the United States had one for decades and had time to properly tweak it. Also guess what?  Mistakes eventually GET FIXED, incase you seem to forget that, and there have been pleanty of announcements on the news that the Alert Ready system has been tweaked. Give them some slack, instead of complaining, try to appreciate something which could save your life.  I am certain the system has been tweakd and the mobile version works on cellular geography so im sure it is better tweaked to serve the community better.

As always I expected some people to bash the system who are uneducated on how it works, how its being fixed and how it is designed. but thats their problem not mine