Alert Ready

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Alert Ready

The only problem when the alerts are posted is I cannot change the channels on my set. And when the alert was issued for the weather at 12:56 it is now 2:49 and it is still going even though the weather here is clearing up. How would I go about changing channels when it is broadcast. The alert now has stuck and not moving but it is still present on the screen sounding the alarm. I live in King City btw and all we got here was lots of rain, some wind and a few flashes of lighting and that was it.  Thanks.  I find the only way I can change them is when the alert is taken off the screen Smiley Sad

I Plan to Stick Around

you didn't say what box you have, so I can only give you the general solution of unplugging hte box for a minute then plug it back in and let it reboot.
If the alert has ended, you should be back to normal function again.
HTH Smiley Happy
I'm a Trusted Contributor

If pressing exit doesn't work maybe just turning the TV off for a minute then back on.
If all fails then @Nissan1's solution is likely your bes bet.
I'm a Senior Advisor

@KarenGF wrote:

The only problem when the alerts are posted is I cannot change the channels on my set. And when the alert was issued for the weather at 12:56 it is now 2:49 and it is still going even though the weather here is clearing up. How would I go about changing channels when it is broadcast. The alert now has stuck and not moving but it is still present on the screen sounding the alarm. I live in King City btw and all we got here was lots of rain, some wind and a few flashes of lighting and that was it.  Thanks.  I find the only way I can change them is when the alert is taken off the screen Smiley Sad

So what kind of alert is this? Do they now have alerts for hot weather that overpower TV channels? Originally this was intended only for Red Alerts, e,g. major national disasters or terrorism, but then the system got hijacked by Amber Alerts (missing children) and now it's extreme weather? What next, missing pets?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

WEATHER WARNING has persisted now for over 2 hours, and unlike the Cisco box the Explorer HD terminals DO NOT allow an exit from it.  Only muting or powering off prevents the absurdity every two minutes.

ROGERS:  FIX THIS!

ALERT READY's site shows it IS up to ROGERS to decide HOW these alerts are done, "The exact manner in which alerts will be broadcast is left to the discretion of the local television broadcaster, cable or satellite distributor. A crawl across the top or bottom of the screen or a full-page display is expected for most alerts."

SO, PLEASE PROGRAM ALERTS SENSIBLY FOR YOUR EXPLORER HD BOXES!

I've Been Around

Does anyone think before they do things at rogers ?  I am probably paying a premium for this feature too.  the only button on the rogers cable box remote that does anything to shut this constant repeated annoying warning buzzer is the power button. 

Maybe   this is better as  a permanent solution  

I've Been Here Awhile

Us too... except for the TV with the newest HD box.

Probably all the Scientific Atlanta boxes have this problem, not the newer NAVIGATR capable Cisco ones!

Doesn't mean ROGERS will actually fix the problem anytime...

I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR The Alert Ready system has always been for many types of things, including severe weather (ie: Tornado warnings in this case)
Scroll down to 'What types of alerts are broadcast?'

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/alert-ready#alert-ready-info

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Nissan1 wrote:

@OLDYELLR The Alert Ready system has always been for many types of things, including severe weather (ie: Tornado warnings in this case)
Scroll down to 'What types of alerts are broadcast?'

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/alert-ready#alert-ready-info

Thanks for the link. Because the first ones we saw were for missing kids hundreds of kilometres away and had a red background, we thought they were amber alerts mistakenly posted as red alerts (national emergencies and such) and people were rightly annoyed. It looks like there is still a lot of work to be done on what gets broadcast and in what areas.

I'm a Senior Advisor

When I turned on the TV this morning at around 8:30 to watch news while having breakfast, I saw a red Amber Alert screen briefly, no sound. I suspect it was for a girl abducted in Mississauga, since found. Anyone else see that?