cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert Ready

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

Alert Ready, the national emergency alerting service, went live April 1.

How is Rogers implementing this system?  There's nothing on the website about it that I can find.

***edited labels***

156 REPLIES 156

Re: Alert Ready

natamour
I've Been Here Awhile

I just rebooted and no more warnings.  Thanks so much.

rye_encoke
I'm a Regular

The alert says updated or ended by 7:30, it is now 8:45.  Is there no way to turn it off.  The alerts and watches have long LONG since ended.  For crying out loud someone get on the ball and turn it off.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

You have to appreciate that the weather service plays very safe in issuing these alerts and warnings for fear of ever being accused of not warning us if a tornado strikes.

I guess these alerts must be regional. Where? I haven't seen any in the Woodstock area.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Rm2
I've Been Around
Good idea to have alerts but who ever put this together is an idiot. Was not not thought out very well and ends up being very annoying. I could not cancel the warning on my standard def. box but was able to cancel on my high def. box. Called Rogers and had them reset my SD box and that got rid of the warning. My SD box is very old, maybe it's not compatible. I am upgrading today. Maybe that is the problem.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Fwiw Bell is also replacing some satellite receivers as they are too old to process the alerts correctly.  I think that every cable and satellite provider is having issues with older equipment not processing the alert messages correctly.  That shouldn't come as a complete surprise.  You can only run devices for so long before their capability is overtaken by added tasks for which they were never designed for.

Nissan1
I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR, The Warning was for Lambton county and western Middlesex county.
The warning was issued at 6:19pm and ended at 6:38pm
Here in London I had the warning in my TV from 6:20 until 9:20pm.

There was nothing I could do to turn off the warning. Actually, I didn't know I even could!
But I did try rebooting my SD boxes (different models; including the newest one), and the alert was still there after rebooting.
A call into Rogers CS was useless. They passed the buck and said they couldn't do anything as they didn't control it.
My bad luck... I seem to keep getting CS reps that don't know what they are talking about 😕

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

There definitely needs to be a mechanism for turning this off other than shutting the box down for an hour or two. Would you want a smoke detector or car alarm you couldn't turn off after it has done its job?

Any of the RTN boxes (4642, 8642, 9865) you should be able to hit EXIT..  May keep poping up durring the period, but should be able to clear off the screen.

I would GUESS the SARA ones are suposed to be the same?  the SARA guide should be the same between the PVR and SD box models.. so should be clearable the same.

I wonder if the people who can not clear.. are using DTA;s?

Nissan1
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't know about the DTA's, but I have a E940 and a E1840 and I was unable to get it to stop on either of them.
I also have a 4642, but it wasn't on and I didn't bother trying it (maybe I will next time). But I read above that someone was able to get their Nextbox to stop only by rebooting (assuming 4642).

Bottom line is no one should have to reboot their box to get an alert to stop.
No one should have to press an exit button to make it stop.
No one should have to do anything...

When the warning is over it stops automaticly and doesn't carry on for 3 <bleeping> hours!

Agreed, no one should have to reboot to make it go away.  That has to be fixed.

On the nexboxes running RTN.. it DOES go away on its own, by the end of the full period of time.. (alerts stop, they stop poping up)
Each alert durring the period, I beleive, goes away after 30 seconds or so of showing the screen.

EXIT, is just a way to make that individual one go away quicker.

punchbuggy
I'm a Regular
How long be the alert alarm last? It became disrupting as it interrupted the program every 10 min!

How can I turn this system off? I've been getting the same warning every 2 mins for 40 mins now...I get that it's important but the warning is for an amber alet that is 7 hrs from me. ...rediculous!  The exit button on my remote will not turn it off, which is dumb. Please help

andrefc
I've Been Around
The same here!!! Turning off the cable TV, that I am paying for it, to stop getting a message from another city... Doesn't make sense for me that need to show 100x...

soldbyjohn
I've Been Here Awhile
How do you turn off the amber alert? It's been going off for over 30min. I've read it and have no info to help so I should be able to turn it off.

soldbyjohn
I've Been Here Awhile
Thank you for taking the sound off, it was extreamly loud, the banner alone is really all they need anyway.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

This thread is a year old and tonight is the very first time I've seen and heard this. I was watching a show recorded earlier and at first thought it was on the recording, but it's not, it's on the whole cable network coming through my PVR, whether it's showing the Guide or List of recordings or live TV.  I see no way to turn it off. The red banner with text is annoying, but the siren really sucks because it blocks out the audio. At least when watching recorded material (the only way I watch TV) you can pause and skip back when the racket is going on so you don't miss anything.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@soldbyjohn wrote:
Thank you for taking the sound off, it was extreamly loud, the banner alone is really all they need anyway.

Nobody "took" the sound off. It comes back every time the message repeats.

soldbyjohn
I've Been Here Awhile
The sound is gone on mine, just the message plays over and over.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I just got it watching the last half of a recorded show and the message repeated about 3 times with the sound at the beginning each time.

dogface
I Plan to Stick Around
Call the originator of the alert and complain.
The wait times for rogers tech support are 90 minutes long there must be a lot of annoyed viewers. I know I am extremely annoyed. If I get another of these I will cancel my ROgers cable entirely.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@dogface It's not Rogers, it's all TV in Ontario, mandated by the CRTC. But yes, the alarm sound needs to be fixed.