Alert Ready

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Alert Ready

Alert Ready, the national emergency alerting service, went live April 1.

How is Rogers implementing this system?  There's nothing on the website about it that I can find.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

Re: Alert Ready

Hello @Lurker  Smiley Happy

Here’s a bit of information about the program:

• Emergency alert messages will appear during regular programming on your TV screen.
  • These messages are created by public officials from municipal, provincial and federal agencies (such as police or fire marshals).
  • Here some examples why alerts would be sent:
    • Amber Alerts, tornadoes, forest fires, floods, meteors, water contamination, industrial disasters, severe weather, hazardous chemical spills, or train derailments to name a few.

What is Emergency Alert Services (EAS)?:

The EAS is a mandatory requirement set by the regulatory body (CRTC) Commission that requires all broadcasters to fully participate in Canada’s National Public Alerting System. The EAS must be demonstrated by all incumbent local exchange carriers (ILEC) and MSO's in Canada by the end of 2014.

Are the alerts from Rogers?

No, the alerts are created by public officials at municipal, provincial and federal agencies and then sent by Pelmorex media to all affected television service providers (such as Rogers, Shaw, Cogeco, Bell, etc). We then send the alerts to the digital set-top boxes / digital adapters.

How frequently will I see these messages?

You will only see an alert in the event of an imminent emergency or during testing of the system.

What do I do when these messages display?

You need to pay close attention to the messages, because they are intended to inform and protect the public in the event of an emergency.

What will the messages look like on my screen?

If you have a Standard or High Definition digital box, you will see a message (either through pop-up or text that goes across the screen) which will temporarily override what you’re watching. Your programming will return to normal once the message is over.

If you have a digital adapter or an Arris/Moto box, your television will automatically tune to channel number 911 and will display the message on that channel. 

Am I able to disable the alerts? Can you disable them for me?

No, the alerts cannot be disabled by you or Rogers.

Why didn't I receive notification from Rogers about these alerts?

All television service distributors are participating in the national public alerting system.  A public service campaign is being launched this spring to better inform Canadians about the system.

Let us know if you have any more questions!

RogersAsif

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

THere was a think on the last bill (at least for people with cable), which talked about the END of analog completely by May 15th..
That ALL tv will then need at least a DTA or digital box.

It did go on about the Alert then, saying that as of March 31st rogers will be part of the system.. which it would be pushed out over the lines to the digital boxes, etc.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Just curious if these alerts will be digital only.  I.e. I still get the aquarium channel on analog 70 and lots of people have analog lobbywatch.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Accoring to on the bill notice 

"A digital box or digital adapter will be required to enruse that you can see emercency alert messages on all television channels."

I would assume, its not pushed out via the FEED (if so would be visible on analog) moreso some sort of other overlay or message that the box receives.
Kind of like the caller ID part for the home phone.

Hopefully, it will be something that can be cleared from the screen once you see it.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I often see big  tornado warnings on channels originating from Buffalo or Erie that you can't dismiss. But maybe if it's a digital overlay, the Exit button might work. Even a small warning can become annoying when repeated enough.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

OLDYELLR wrote:

I often see big  tornado warnings on channels originating from Buffalo or Erie that you can't dismiss. But maybe if it's a digital overlay, the Exit button might work. Even a small warning can become annoying when repeated enough.

The American alerting system is much different than this new Canadian system

In the US, each STATION has an alert receiver, and sends it out over the broadcast.  Alerts in the Canadian system are sent out by the BDUs (Rogers, Shaw...not Bell tho...they couldn't get their act together in time and have an extension until 2016)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

So im guessing you need a digital box or dta to receive the alerts.

Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

Hey @Pauly

You are correctSmiley Happy

If you have a Standard or High Definition digital box, you will see a message (either through pop-up or text that goes across the screen) which will temporarily override what you’re watching. Your programming will return to normal once the message is over.

If you have a digital adapter, your television will automatically tune to channel number 911 and will display the message on that channel. 

RogersAsif

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Cool

Topic Stats