Additional outlets causes cable signal to be downgraded...does this make sense.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Additional outlets causes cable signal to be downgraded...does this make sense.

I would say, even rogers specific techs (as that is what i mostly get out now, with the security system, rather than the contracted ones).

Rogers really only is liable for what THEY can access.  Street to the house outside, the box outside, the line into the house, and into the elec pannel (or wherever it is in your house), and whatever splitters may be there.

IF you have an unifinished basement or access there.. they would likely cover up to where they can not access anymore.

But anything inside the walls? Is the home owners responsibility.

And rogers will cover, from the outlet to the box/modem.

There is too much chance of damaging stuff, etc.. for them to run stuff through walls, etc, when they are not insurance covered for that sort of work. (compared to say a company you PAY to run/fish wires through).

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Additional outlets causes cable signal to be downgraded...does this make sense.

I have 6 connections in my house, 1 for internet modem and 5 for TV connections active.    The Rogers tech installed 2 splitters, a 2-way with a 4-way on top of it to get enough connections and everything works fine for me.   My house is only 8 years old though so I  have the more recent RG-6 wiring.   I think in older homes they were using RG-59 wiring which has more signal loss over longer lengths.   I see also that there is a newer RG-8 standard as well with even less losses but not sure if it's used in construction of homes yet.   

I do think though that since the splitters and connectors don't typically use gold connectors or something as good that some corrosion sets in after a few years.  Just unscrewing the connectors and re-connecting them can make a difference if the surface corrosion wears away doing so.     

I'm a Senior Advisor

A 2-way plus a 4-way splitter on one leg gives 5 connections. Are you sure there isn't another 2-way? Each time the signal is split, its strength is halved. That's not accounting for where the booster is, which I presume is ahead of the 4-way. A 4-way splitter actually contains a 2-way splitter with 2-way splitters on each leg to give 4 legs. Not knowing how much the signal is boosted, we can't compare all the outlets.  Not sure if gold flashed connectors actually conduct better or are more for show.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Sorry that was a typo on the number 6.  I have 5 active connections, so yes as you described it otherwise.  I have no booster however and everything works fine for me this way.

The 2-way splits into 2, one of which is given to the CGN3 internet modem for the strongest signal, the second is then provided to the 4-way splitter that is distributed to my TV set top boxes.   

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@techguy001 wrote:

Sorry that was a typo on the number 6.  I have 5 active connections, so yes as you described it otherwise.  I have no booster however and everything works fine for me this way.

The 2-way splits into 2, one of which is given to the CGN3 internet modem for the strongest signal, the second is then provided to the 4-way splitter that is distributed to my TV set top boxes.   

Sorry, looks like I confused you with the OP of this thread, who said he had 5 outlets and a booster.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi Techguy001, your setup sounds like its wired exactly as it should, so you would have EQUAL signal on all 4 ports of the 4 way splitter, and your modem (hiltron cng3) will have a very strong signal (which is needed for modemds to work good)