Additional outlets causes cable signal to be downgraded...does this make sense.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Additional outlets causes cable signal to be downgraded...does this make sense.

I currently have 5 outlets in my house.  After a few years of fine connections, I noticed that somtimes my cable feeds seem to downgrade where the picture comes in spurts (fractures on the screen) and some cable channels the message is that there is an error.

I have called in the technician before and he said that although I have the strongest booster (that rogers installs), I have to many wall cable outlets and at best I should only have 3 for the signal to carry through.

This does not make sense to me at all.

Does any one know of the number of wall cable outlets I can have in a house to keep the signal strong. 

(note: I also have rogers internet.  I also only have one TV on at a time).

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Additional outlets causes cable signal to be downgraded...does this make sense.

Its possible... there are many factors.

That if its weak enough, that it needs the booster, and this is STILL not strong enough... it could be the SOURCE is not strong enough?
Did he check the INCOMMING.. did he say how strong it was?  I would think that it might not be strong enough comming INTO the house.

beyond the boster.. is there any other splitters? (to get to those rooms)

How old is the house, etc?  Even with the boster, if the LINES are poor within the house, could be an effect.
(like my bedroom, has some really OLD AFUL cable.. and the boster just BARELY gets it a decent enough signal.)

Really, there is no DEFINITATIVE answer to the # of outlets.. as there are too many varrying variables.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Additional outlets causes cable signal to be downgraded...does this make sense.

The tech gave you the answer, not sure why you still are confused?  splitters have always and will always cause the signal to decrease.   think of it as a faucet,  the more faucets you turn on in your house, the slower the water pressure gets, but cable outlets dont have on/off valves, theyre always on even if your not using them.   so the signal coming into your home is strong and you have a drop amp, your problem is too many splits, which deteriorates your signal.   the more splitters on your line the weaker the signal to each tv.  its recommended 3 or 4 splitters,   in my parents house they have 8 cable outlets, but i only hooked up 4 of them, so i left the other 4 wires dangling and tied them up.  why hook them up when it would deteriorate the signal to the existing outlets?

I'm a Senior Advisor

It would be helpful to see a schematic of the OP's cable layout and splitters and where the booster is. With 5 outlets, 2 of them will have half the signal strength of the other three. What is connected where. A NB3 needs a stronger signal. If Rogers charges for 5 outlets, then Rogers needs to provide a good enough signal to serve all of them. Ideally a good signal should be provided where the cable enters the house. There's a limit to how much you can boost a weak signal because the noise is also boosted. At least that's how it was with analog. Maybe the OP needs 2 boosters.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

'At least that's how it was with analog'

There's no 'range' in a digital signal....its there or it isn't....its a one or a zero.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Lurker wrote:

'At least that's how it was with analog'

There's no 'range' in a digital signal....its there or it isn't....its a one or a zero.

I know what you mean. I guess what I was getting at is as the signal is boosted, so is the noise. At what point does the noise mess up the signal?

I've Been Here Awhile

Well here's the issue.

This happens every  few years.  For 2 years on average everything is fine.  However, after an average of 2 years,  I seem to not be able to get some channels and/ or the picuture will start to freezed on me.

Once the cable technician comes in he tells me the signal from the street to the house is fine and there is nothing for him to do.,,,but he says the signal downgrade is my fault because in one room there is a splitter on the cable line from the outlet to another room.

That splitter was put there by the first Rogers cable technician when I first was hooked up by Rogers.because he said he it was easier to do that then go throught the wall.  Now the excuse from every technician thereafter is that the all cable issues are my fault, (due to the splitter) and there is nothing he can do.  I get billed for the service call, but the service seems fine for the next 2 year average before it all starts again.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I on average have had the slightest issue every two years or so, and the techs usually come in and swap out splitters and connectors and it's all good again.

Wouldn't supprised me that the splitters may start to burn out after that timeframe.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Gdkitty makes a good point. Whenever I've had a Rogers tech in for poor signal issues, he's always replaced some of my splitters with new ones and replaced some of my connectors. As for Rogers using a splitter instead of going through a wall, I think that's standard practice, especially in apartments. I've seen them staple a cable run all along a baseboard and back around the other side instead of simply going through a wall.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Especially with contracted techs, they're probably forbidden from damaging walls.