Activate a nextbox

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Activate a nextbox

It doesn't matter that they are no longer with Rogers.  They can still call in and have the box released.  I have bought boxes from such people and they were able to get the box released so that it can be activated on another account.

True.  Well I guess the moral of the story is if you see a second hand box, BE CAREFUL and make the call to Rogers Cable to confirm if the S/N is not tied to an account before you purchase it.  I get it that it's a lot of electronic waste, but electronic waste is not something new and people sometimes take old devices to the good will store or value village without removing the serial number from the accounts, they often do not think this is necessary since they figured they cancelled their account.  

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Activate a nextbox

@Pauly wrote:

It doesn't matter that they are no longer with Rogers.  They can still call in and have the box released.  I have bought boxes from such people and they were able to get the box released so that it can be activated on another account.

True.  Well I guess the moral of the story is if you see a second hand box, BE CAREFUL and make the call to Rogers Cable to confirm if the S/N is not tied to an account before you purchase it.  I get it that it's a lot of electronic waste, but electronic waste is not something new and people sometimes take old devices to the good will store or value village without removing the serial number from the accounts, they often do not think this is necessary since they figured they cancelled their account.  

After my daughter cancelled their Rogers Cable she gave me their owned SA8300HD PVR.  I've read all the warnings about transferring Rogers STBs, so I asked that they make sure the PVR is removed from their account. They went through the arduous process of calling Rogers and were told it's okay since the cancelled their cable (they still have Rogers wireless). I have yet to hook it up to see if it will authorize, but at least I know the person I got it from and they're not skipping town anytime soon.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario