Activate a nextbox

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Activate a nextbox

I have a friend who wants to sell me his previously purchased Nextbox pvr. Can I activate the box with Rogers?

Thanks

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Activate a nextbox

Of course you can activate your friends netbox. But first you need to tell us more details and be aware of the following. Your friend must first call rogers cable customer service and request to remove the netbox serial number off his account. Once thats done you need to tell us what u mean by activate it for your self. Are you a NEW customer or do u have an existing rogers digital cable account? If you have an existing account call them up and tell them u wish to add the box to your account and give them the s/n no and thats it. If you are not a customer you need to choose a cable package, tell them you wish to add your own hardware to the acxount and give them the s\n and then pick a Install date for the truck roll.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tkattenhorn:

I'm assuming you're in Ontario or an area of Ontario that uses Cisco/SA equipment.  If not, then substitute Atlantic Canada for Ontario.

When purchasing a used STB:

1. Call Rogers with the name of the seller and the STB number before purchase. This is to ensure that it's not a rental and is properly in Rogers system (as a third-party STB) and is allowed by Rogers. Have the seller show the STB in operation if possible. This is especially important if it's a PVR because the iHDD could be bad. If they can't demo, then the price should reflect that.

2. Ensure the seller deactivates the STB or tells Rogers they're selling it so that you can then activate it.

3. You must call Rogers when you get the STB home to authorize it.

4. You must have the cable properly connected and a good signal to the STB for it to function/boot.

5. Sometimes another call by the seller is required after the buyer has the STB in his possession and is trying to activate it (due to Rogers Computer issues - there must be some difference between the "check" and the "activate" steps in Rogers' computer system). Sometimes, if you call to activate, and the CSR says the box has not been deactivated, if you know the seller has made the call, if you insist that it has been deactivated, the CSR will often activate the STB without another call by the seller.

6. You cannot use a STB that is not a Rogers Ontario STB.

7. In the event you wish to incorporate the STB into a WHPVR (Whole Home PVR) setup, a truck roll (service call) will likely be required.

8. Sometimes we get questions about "moving" a STB from one subscriber to another without calling Rogers. This is against the Terms of Service with Rogers, they can find out (monitoring location), and both people could be in trouble with Rogers.

9. Note that there are some smaller Rogers areas in Ontario that utilize Motorola STBs. In those cases you need to purchase the correct Motorola STB(s) and it doesn't have to be a Rogers box, but beware of scam sellers. You cannot use SA/Cisco in a Motorola area, or vice versa.

10. If the seller is not a "customer in good standing" (bills all paid, etc.), then Rogers may have a lien against the STB, so calling Rogers before purchase, as discussed in point one, is very important.

I've Been Here Awhile

Unfortunately this Unlock the serial number from an account has caused a HUGE amount of ELECTRONIC WASTE.

I have found older Rogers PVRs and a NextBox at both garage sales and Thrift stores only to find out they can't be used. The thrift store I can't track down the owner and the Garage sale told be they are no longer with Rogers.

I think devices from older accounts that are no longer customers should have the serial numbers unlocked so that they can be recycled and reused. 

Bad on you Rogers

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dunderwood : If the boxes were rentals then they are Rogers' property and it is "bad on the customer" (for not returning the box, not Rogers.  If they are not rentals, you can usually push with Rogers (escalate to second level if necessary) and Rogers will usually activate a box, provided the previous "owner" is a customer in good standing with all bills paid.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Wouldn't Rogers begin proceedings against former customers who didn't return rental equipment?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLRwrote:

Wouldn't Rogers begin proceedings against former customers who didn't return rental equipment?

Not worth the effort for say a single STB. If a previous customer owed hundreds of $, then perhaps the STB(s) would be part of any proceedings.

I've Been Here Awhile

Tried twice.

First one was the older 8300HD and after an hour on the phone I was told they could do nothing.

When I found a Next box I gambled again and went through the same thing and literally tried everything. Was on hold for 15 min to no avail.

Figured I'm a good customer with over 25 years but no go.

Both went to electronic drop off. Such a waste.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dunderwoodwrote:

Tried twice.  Both went to electronic drop off. Such a waste.

In future, you can use the tips in post 3 of this thread. You could also have left the boxes at the Thrift Store or Garage Sale for someone else to perhaps use for parts, etc.  You could also post them on Kijiji, or similar, for free or nominal amount and someone else may have use for them.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@dunderwoodwrote:

Unfortunately this Unlock the serial number from an account has caused a HUGE amount of ELECTRONIC WASTE.

I have found older Rogers PVRs and a NextBox at both garage sales and Thrift stores only to find out they can't be used. The thrift store I can't track down the owner and the Garage sale told be they are no longer with Rogers.

It doesn't matter that they are no longer with Rogers.  They can still call in and have the box released.  I have bought boxes from such people and they were able to get the box released so that it can be activated on another account.