8642HD really SLOW - is this normal?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: 8642HD really SLOW - is this normal?

I should also note that I had been demonstrating my loyalty and commitment to Rogers previously, by purchasing my two HD PVR boxes. In doing so, I was essentially locking myself into the Rogers network without considering the alternatives.  At this point, the lack of customer service to this issue puts me in a position to start shopping around with other providers, as my friends have all done so over recent years.

Anybody at Rogers paying attention?  Retentions?

Hello @OLDYELLR & @LimboMan,

I know the recent updates have been a significant change for many customers with older Purchased NextBox branded equipment. 

@OLDYELLR I have been advised that only NextBox branded boxes will be affected by the discontinuation of the SARA guide and replaced with the Navigatr guide. The affected boxes would be the 4642, 8600 and 8642 series NextBoxes and above. the SA8300 PVRs are not compatible with the Navigatr guide and should not be affected by these changes.

@LimboMan I understand your frustration regarding this matter as a choice was not given to you on whether or not you'd like to receive the update. We definitely do not want to lose you as a customer and we appreciate your loyalty to the Rogers brand over the years. 

Please send us a private message @CommunityHelps the next time you're online and we can take a closer look at what options are available to you. 

For more information on our private messaging system check out our blog.

Regards,

RogersTony

I Plan to Stick Around

I have NON-branded 8642 devices but I suppose it doesn't matter whether it had the "NEXTBOX" sticker on it or not?
I Plan to Stick Around

Picture takes a long time to appear/Navigatr change

Last week my guide changed by itself to this Navigatr guide.

I had an old guide for years with a Nextbox 8642HD box.

Now when I turn on the TV it can take 1-2 minutes before the picture appears.

This never happened with the old guide.

The picture would appear much faster.

TV works fine otherwise,but this long wait time for the picture to appear is not good.

Anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

This started the same time the guide changed to Navigatr.

I Plan to Stick Around

Sadly, it appears you too have been negatively affected by the forced update of your Rogers box. All of us with this same 8642HD now have unusable cable boxes. If you are renting, consider yourself lucky as you may be able to swap it at a Rogers store for a different box. If you own your box, you're as out of luck as some of us here.
I Plan to Stick Around

Do you think trying a reboot would make the picture appear faster when turning the TV on?

The channels change just as fast as with the old guide,so I have no issue with slow channel changes and I only use it for watching TV and use none of the other features.

I Plan to Stick Around

Power cycling the box or even a system reset may be worth a try and have been known to help a bit. Unfortunately for me it has done nothing to solve my problems on either of my babies.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Although the 8642 is pretty slow with Navigatr, it's possible that how slow it gets could be related to signal strength.  The reason I say this is because the new Navigatr firmware "talks" to the head end much more than the old SARA firmware and if the (return) signal is poor, it could take longer for certain functions.  Here's a post on checking your signal.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

I Plan to Stick Around

Thx for the page. My box is showing level of -3 and S/N of 35 dB. Haven't had any concerns with up/down data transfers in the past and the last time a tech came to check my levels (when I got the gigabit internet recently) he noted the signal was good coming into, and within the house.

Hopefully this tip may help others though!
I Plan to Stick Around

Did a reboot and it seemed to help with varying success.

Picture appeared after 10 seconds twice,then a little longer at 25-35 seconds to a worse of 1:16 and then less to maybe 25-30 seconds.

My 8642HD is a rental so I will try to exchange it for the latest greatest box from Rogers since I am paying Rogers plenty for their "service".