cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8642HD really SLOW - is this normal?

cdpage
I've been here awhile

Hi there,

I'm new to rogers. Just got the NextBox 8642HD. 

It's been a slow learning curve, and as such i've accepted it's SLOW repsonce times, but after a couple months of use, I can't take it any more.

Is it normal for the cable box to be SO SLOW?

Can I fix this?

Do I have a Faulty Box?

I can not imagine that customers would accept this?

it take take seconds for a button to activate after pressing it on the romote. Worse, sometimes not at all.

It runs like a 3D program on a 386.

Any one else have a really slow NextBox?

***Edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: 8642HD really SLOW - is this normal?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I have a SA8300HD PVR , a SA8300SD PVR, 10-year-old technology, and a DTA50. None of them are slow to respond. How is it that all those much newer STBs are such dogs and why is Rogers foisting them on new customers?

The 8300HD/SD are now close to 15 years old. Using SARA firmware they are quite acceptable.  Rogers launched them in 2004.  I bought mine at that time and still have it, although I had to replace the iHDD twice and it doesn't get much use now.  The graphics are not "pretty" and are not HD.  For those people who prefer performance over looks, they function just fine.

The 8642 is almost 10 years old, launched by Rogers in 2010.  It was also fine using SARA firmware, however, it was then switched to RTN firmware which was "prettier" with more graphics and HD output which people wanted. It wasn't too bad on RTN, even though RTN made it slower than on SARA.  Some people complained and managed to retain SARA firmware on their 8642s, but even those people have now been forced onto Navigatr to simplify the jobs for CSRs who must help people troubleshoot their equipment.  The real problem came in 2015 when Rogers switched to Navigatr firmware. It was prettier still with pictures etc.  This software should never have been placed on the 8642 because the 8642 simply doesn't have enough horsepower to run it properly.  It is extremely slow for this reason.  Rogers probably had no choice in regard to the firmware due to arrangements with suppliers. As people got newer equipment or left Rogers, Rogers had an inventory of unused 8642 which they "hobbled" by taking away the PVR functionality, labelled them as 8600 and rent/give them out for people to use as STBs.

The 9865 is about 5 years old and was launched in 2013 by Rogers.  I purchased my main 9865 then and it's running fine still (knock wood).  It ran RTN firmware well and also has enough horsepower to run Navigatr. It responds with most functions as fast as I can press the buttons on the remote. The "list" functionality can be a bit slower, especially if you have a lot of recordings, however, it is quite functional, especially if you use it mostly for time-shifting instead of archiving, keeping the HDD below 50% or so.

I explained previously why Rogers is placing this older equipment with new customers - they have it lying around and are waiting for IPTV to launch new equipment.  If you complain, you can usually negotiate a 9865 or 4K boxes which are fine.

View solution in original post

70 REPLIES 70

Lurker
I'm a senior advisor

The 8642 IS that slow.....its why Rogers quickly introduced the NB 3.0........

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Generally yes the box is that slow.. while the software has made SOME improvements (can you beleive it was WORSE than that at one point?).. its still slow.. most likley hardware limitations.

If you just signed up recently.. i would go back, and see if they can get you/switch you to the nextbox 3.0.  a MUCH better unit overall.  Same software, but NO slowness at all (more storage, and 8 tuners as well too)

LF1949
I plan to stick around

My neighbour got an 8642HD last spring and it was deadly slow compared to my old 8300HD. I called Rogers and they switched it back to the old Guide (SARA firmware). Although not as fancy of an interface, it's much quicker and less buggy. I'm not sure that option is still available.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A few rare cases i have heard CURRENTLY people being able to... but almost everyone which calls in is told that no it can not be downgraded anymore 😞

Hogwash
I'm a senior contributor

Sadly, the solution to this ongoing issue is not upgrading to an even more expensive box with another set of it's own ongoing issues.

It's common sense. Most folks just want to pay their bill and watch TV. People don't have the time or inclination to be continuously fighting with Rogers to get the services working that they pay for.

Many folks are not technically inclined and upgrading to a NextBox 3 that may or may not function properly is a gamble that few would or should take. Think about it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We need a SIMPLE LOW COST box that gets the job done and operates issue free.

Why can't Rogers write firmware that actually works 24/7 for EVERYBODY? Is that too much to ask? That's what I want to know.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"

jays77
I'm a trusted contributor
I have an HD-PVR and I would say it is a bit slow turning on, but changing channels is not that bad. Maybe 1-2 seconds at the most.
What I have noticed in the past few weeks is that when selecting a show that I have recorded , the list comes up really quickly, but when I select a show and hit press it can take anywhere from 5-10 seconds to start playing. It is a bit annoying, but I can live with it. It's not as if I'm in a big rush to watch TV.

I wont argue with you hogwash on the simple box.  Specialy for someone going from analog, etc.
Like the HD DTA that cisco makes.

That doesnt cover people though that require a PVR.

And unfortunately that wont currently help the above posters current problem either at this time.

If they are a current NB2 user as they said they are.. they should be technicaly inclined enough to change to the NB3. as there litteraly is no setup/etc difference on them.
Is there a possible chance of having an issue on the box? yes, like on any of them.  But could be fine as well.

And, it would address their speed issue.

cdpage
I've been here awhile

Thanks everyone

perhaps I'll give Rogers a call, see if they can send me a NB3. This one is unacceptable. This product should have never got past the testing stage. They must have a bunch of Yes men testing their products. 

Pressing guide usually pops up after a second and that's OK, but just about anything else... Delays, slow, then it catches up all at once. or doesn't do anything. This hardware isn't so much buggy as it is just not powerful enough to handle what it's been given.

How did it get this far?

By the sounds of it id rather have the older system.  But that sounds like that's not longer an option...

Are they going to charge me to 'upgrade'?

I'd hardly call asking this asking for an upgrade. It's more of a replacement, "sorry for the faulty product".

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The 8642 wasnt too bad when it was on the old guide... but the new guide mostly broke it 😞

You CAN still have the older BOXES that the 8642.. you can get refurb 8300s off the shopping channel.  But these are older boxes.. smaller drives, etc in them.

As for the pricing.  There is generally a slight pricing difference between the two boxes.  Straight buyout, and rent to own prices, are slightly higher (as its a more powerful box, more functions, etc).

Without knowing what sort of package you are on, what sort of arangement for the boxes (weither you are on a free box for a year, etc).  If you are a NEW sign up.. most of all the deals all include the NB3 now.. odd that they gave you a 8642.
Call in and see what they can do... worse case... talk to retentions.  Say your a new customer, who should have been given the new product from the begining, not the older faultier one.. and see if they can do it for you.

cdpage
I've been here awhile

Thanks GD, 

sounds good. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Good luck! hopefully they can do something for you.

artpenty
I've been here awhile

my pvr is incredibly slow too!!  30 seconds to change chanels.  15 seconds just to get the channel guide up. This is the worst software -- disgusting.  What is the solution????

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If it's that slow, there is probably a firmware memory leak. That is usually resolved by rebooting the box.  Settings - scroll up one to Troubleshooting - select reboot.  Make sure you don't reset to factory settings.

Any time that you have issues, a reboot is the first thing to try.

jays77

@57 is right.  Try a re-boot.  That is what is on my agenda for tonight and am hoping that will work.  It has before. Smiley Frustrated

My box has been getting slower by the day.  Today it took over two minutes to set up one recording and that was just waiting for it to show that the recording was scheduled.  In total well over three minutes to set up one measley recording.  To top it off I find out that the episode I set up is one I have already seen.  Smiley Surprised  Needless to say,  I'm not even going to try to delete it until after I reboot my box.

bergang
I plan to stick around

Mine was basically unusable trying to playback recorded material... couldn't even navigate the list menu until I rebooted. There definately seems like they have a memory leak.

This box is really terrible on the new software.

mfait
I'm a reliable contributor

@bergang wrote:

Mine was basically unusable trying to playback recorded material... couldn't even navigate the list menu until I rebooted. There definately seems like they have a memory leak.

This box is really terrible on the new software.

If the people still using the 8642HD (Netbox 2) are renting, upgrage to the Netbox 3.  The performance is much better.

bergang
I plan to stick around
Unfortunatell I own mine.

jays77
Yeah, I own mine too and for the most part, with a re boot once in awhile, it work just fine for my needs.

DrZEUS
I'm here a lot
My box is owned too so I can't switch it out for a NB3. I wonder if upgrading the HDD to an SSD would speed things up. Anyone know of any mods that can be done to speed it up?

wakybear
I've been here awhile

Mine is the same ,it started happening after rogers did a update about 4-5 months ago then all went down hill

Topic Stats