8642HD really SLOW - is this normal?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: 8642HD really SLOW - is this normal?

I'd like to note that for all the great benefits Rogers like to say about the new guide, two functions I used DAILY that is nowhere to be found :

1) Sleep Timer
2) "Keep the last X number of recorded shows from this series"
3) ... It just worked.

I may have missed it on the menu. If so, please enlighten me!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@LimboMan: There is a long discussion thread regarding the new Navigatr in this forum. It is not specific to the 8642 since it applies to all the NextBox PVRs.

Here's a summary of the good, the bad, and some tips regarding Navigatr so you can avoid reading that very long thread, unless you want to.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-nb...

I've Been Around

Reading Canada's anti-spam legislation, especially section 8 and section section 11(5), I think Rogers has one year from receiving a complaint to make things right. The Enforcement Info Page implies CRTC handles malware issues.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Hope you didn't pull anything with that stretch.   But, if somebody with deep enough pockets wants to go for it, you know what they say about fools and their money...

I Plan to Stick Around

UPDATE:

Not sure if others have also received phone calls, but a Rogers agent called to let me know that the next firmware is being developed that should run more efficiently on our boxes.  Not sure I'll be holding my breath on this one...

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Is the Rogers HD8600 old? It is painfully slow...

We JUST setup rogers HD with the full HD package but we are using the cable ox and it is so slow! I cant seem to find anything online about what boxes are available and rogers site has nothing on box rental prices and whats available to rent. 

When they set it up they didn't even use an HDMI cable so at first it wasn't even inn HD. Very strange but I used one of my own HDMI cables and it is in HD now but SO SLOW to change channels. 

So is this box actually one offered with Rogers now or did we get some sort of old box?? What box should we be using. I googled 8600 and see people complaining about it in 2015 so I am very surprised that our "new" box is from technology over 3 years old. I would be fine with that if it wasn't so . slow. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, if you just got set up.. not sure WHY they set you up with that box..

The Nextbox 3 (the 9865), is the more current version of the PVR.. and its a TON faster.

I would call back in and complain, and see if they can swap out  your 8642 for a 9865

I've Been Here Awhile

Interesting. I had a feeling something was wrong. Doesn't seem very competitive to give a box that old to a new HD setup. In fact its SLOWER than the SD box we had thats over 10 years old.

The icing on the cake was that they didn't even hook it up with HDMI. It was running at standard definition through coaxial. I will definitely be calling them up. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Also just to clarify. I have the 8600HD NOT the 8642. These threads were merged together for some reason confusing the answer. Would I still ask rogers for the 9865 or is there a non-PVR version? Also were we supposed to get a PVR version. I assume thats more expensive. We don't need it. I'm just really confused about what we are supposed to get because this box is garbage.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@thedommer wrote:

1. I cant seem to find anything online about what boxes are available and rogers site has nothing on box rental prices and whats available to rent. 

2. So is this box actually one offered with Rogers now or did we get some sort of old box?? What box should we be using. I googled 8600 and see people complaining about it in 2015 so I am very surprised that our "new" box is from technology over 3 years old. I would be fine with that if it wasn't so . slow. 

1. Actually, they do - see the following link. They don't list the exact model numbers, but I'll explain more in point 2 below :

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/hardware

2. The 8600 is a "hobbled" 8642 (Nextbox 2.0) that disables the PVR portion of the box. This box is very old and slow.  However, since Rogers is going to be changing to the newer IPTV technology later this year, they're re-using/repurposing the older boxes and not supplying anything "new" (except 4K).  Even the latest 9865 HDPVR (Nextbox 3.0) is now almost 5 years old (although it works fine).  The 8642/8600 is a few years older than that, but is slow. Another non-PVR is the 4642 which you may wish to try.  It's also old, but it may be faster.  You may wish to ask for one of the new 4K boxes, which should be faster. The 4K non-PVR is the CAV10242 and the 4K PVR is CAV10455.