8642HD really SLOW - is this normal?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

8642HD really SLOW - is this normal?

Hi there,

I'm new to rogers. Just got the NextBox 8642HD. 

It's been a slow learning curve, and as such i've accepted it's SLOW repsonce times, but after a couple months of use, I can't take it any more.

Is it normal for the cable box to be SO SLOW?

Can I fix this?

Do I have a Faulty Box?

I can not imagine that customers would accept this?

it take take seconds for a button to activate after pressing it on the romote. Worse, sometimes not at all.

It runs like a 3D program on a 386.

Any one else have a really slow NextBox?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: 8642HD really SLOW - is this normal?

The 8642 IS that slow.....its why Rogers quickly introduced the NB 3.0........

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Generally yes the box is that slow.. while the software has made SOME improvements (can you beleive it was WORSE than that at one point?).. its still slow.. most likley hardware limitations.

If you just signed up recently.. i would go back, and see if they can get you/switch you to the nextbox 3.0.  a MUCH better unit overall.  Same software, but NO slowness at all (more storage, and 8 tuners as well too)

I Plan to Stick Around

My neighbour got an 8642HD last spring and it was deadly slow compared to my old 8300HD. I called Rogers and they switched it back to the old Guide (SARA firmware). Although not as fancy of an interface, it's much quicker and less buggy. I'm not sure that option is still available.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A few rare cases i have heard CURRENTLY people being able to... but almost everyone which calls in is told that no it can not be downgraded anymore Smiley Sad

I'm a Senior Contributor

Sadly, the solution to this ongoing issue is not upgrading to an even more expensive box with another set of it's own ongoing issues.

It's common sense. Most folks just want to pay their bill and watch TV. People don't have the time or inclination to be continuously fighting with Rogers to get the services working that they pay for.

Many folks are not technically inclined and upgrading to a NextBox 3 that may or may not function properly is a gamble that few would or should take. Think about it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We need a SIMPLE LOW COST box that gets the job done and operates issue free.

Why can't Rogers write firmware that actually works 24/7 for EVERYBODY? Is that too much to ask? That's what I want to know.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I have an HD-PVR and I would say it is a bit slow turning on, but changing channels is not that bad. Maybe 1-2 seconds at the most.
What I have noticed in the past few weeks is that when selecting a show that I have recorded , the list comes up really quickly, but when I select a show and hit press it can take anywhere from 5-10 seconds to start playing. It is a bit annoying, but I can live with it. It's not as if I'm in a big rush to watch TV.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wont argue with you hogwash on the simple box.  Specialy for someone going from analog, etc.
Like the HD DTA that cisco makes.

That doesnt cover people though that require a PVR.

And unfortunately that wont currently help the above posters current problem either at this time.

If they are a current NB2 user as they said they are.. they should be technicaly inclined enough to change to the NB3. as there litteraly is no setup/etc difference on them.
Is there a possible chance of having an issue on the box? yes, like on any of them.  But could be fine as well.

And, it would address their speed issue.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks everyone

perhaps I'll give Rogers a call, see if they can send me a NB3. This one is unacceptable. This product should have never got past the testing stage. They must have a bunch of Yes men testing their products. 

Pressing guide usually pops up after a second and that's OK, but just about anything else... Delays, slow, then it catches up all at once. or doesn't do anything. This hardware isn't so much buggy as it is just not powerful enough to handle what it's been given.

How did it get this far?

By the sounds of it id rather have the older system.  But that sounds like that's not longer an option...

Are they going to charge me to 'upgrade'?

I'd hardly call asking this asking for an upgrade. It's more of a replacement, "sorry for the faulty product".

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The 8642 wasnt too bad when it was on the old guide... but the new guide mostly broke it Smiley Sad

You CAN still have the older BOXES that the 8642.. you can get refurb 8300s off the shopping channel.  But these are older boxes.. smaller drives, etc in them.

As for the pricing.  There is generally a slight pricing difference between the two boxes.  Straight buyout, and rent to own prices, are slightly higher (as its a more powerful box, more functions, etc).

Without knowing what sort of package you are on, what sort of arangement for the boxes (weither you are on a free box for a year, etc).  If you are a NEW sign up.. most of all the deals all include the NB3 now.. odd that they gave you a 8642.
Call in and see what they can do... worse case... talk to retentions.  Say your a new customer, who should have been given the new product from the begining, not the older faultier one.. and see if they can do it for you.