8300 PVR and Seagate PVR Extender - can't play back many saved programs.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

8300 PVR and Seagate PVR Extender - can't play back many saved programs.

I have a problem in that I can't play back many programs I have saved, even though they show up in the list of saved programs.  Phoned Rogers Support yesterday and was told the issue is a communications problem between the PVR and the Extender that results in programs on extender not being able to be played back, that Rogers has known about this since April and that they are working on a solution.

Does anyone know any more about this issue, and can anyone direct me to a fix that already exists?

***Edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: 8300 PVR and Seagate PVR Extender - can't play back many saved programs.

You could try rebooting the digital box, making sure the pvr extender is powered on before the digital box.

NOTE you may lose all recordings

NOTE you've probably already lost the recordings due to an issue with the firmware update.
I've Been Here Awhile

Chris

Thanks.  I tried that, with no success.

I did find later other complaints in the Forum about the same problem, so I know understand the issue is the botched firmware update.

Guess I will just delete al the old programs, and then unplug the extender until they've figured out a solution (or I run out of patience having only the limited storage space on the PVR itself).  The Rogers lady couldn't promise me that the glitch wouldn't happen again.

Thanks again for the advice.

I'm Here A Lot

I have been having this issue since last winter.  Lost months of recordings, which I eventually deleted from the list as the list was so long.  Many calls over a couple of months to Rogers Tech Support, some of whom tried to be helpful and others who were downright rude.  They suggested that I unplug the extender, and WE WOULD BE NOTIFIED WHEN THE ISSUE HAD BEEN RESOLVED, which they anticipated would be midsummer.  Hah!   No calls, and apparently no resolution either.  Finally called Tech Support again in September; they suggested that there had been lots of updates andIe should once again plug in the extender, which I did.  After a month of recording, I found that programs recorded further than 2 weeks back could not be accessed, and now that time has decreased so that anything recorded more than a week ago cannot be played back.

The extender has been rendered into a mighty expensive brick.  I am a very long-time customer and have lost all faith in Rogers.  It seems unbelievable to me that after all this time they still have not managed to come up with a solution to this issue and I feel it is completely unacceptable.. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I swear to god that this is a simple case of Rogers not wanting us to archive our shows. If they give the option to record programs via pvr and extender then they can say that that isn't the case and it is just a firmware issue.

I wonder if the only option is to purchase your pvr and just upgrade the size of the internal hard drive.

I have a 1TB extender (my second one) and it happens repeatedly, having to go through and erase all my recordings because they just go to the playback channel. I wonder why they even bother with the extenders....wait I know, because they realized we were going and sourceing our own extenders and they wanted in on the cash flow, even though they knew full well that it didn't work properly.

It doesn't work properly because they want to control every aspect of the prograsmming that enters your house, so they change things up every day and we end up with a half assed service.

Just my opinion though.

off to delete recorded programs that won't play....Thank you Rogers.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

It is now Feb 2014 and I now have the 9685 HD PVR (NxBx3). I put the old Seagate extender on it and it worked fine for awhile. Unfortunately if the SATA connection gets loose or becomes disconnected, then the PVR reboots, it seems you will loose whatever is on your extender. The PVR thinks it is a new extender when you plug it back in and asks you if you want to reformat it. It will not recognize that it has recorded programs on it. I don't think Rogers will ever fix this issue. This obviously goes back to 2011 by the looks of it.  When buying or upgrading ask about what happens if the extender is accidentally disconnected. Will you be able to get your programs back on the screen.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

While typing my last message, I realized that with a finicky SATA connection to your extender, if you push the PVR back to the wall in an enclosed location, the connection can be lost momentarily. The PVR then thinks you have disconnected the extender and reboots automatically and it might not see the extender during the reboot. You will have to get the extender plugged in really quickly or all is lost. The PVR will think you are plugging in a new extender after the automatic reboot and ask you if you want to reformat the extender.

The solution would be to allow you to disconnect and reconnect the extender like a flash drive, but that would mean you could plug and play any extender. I don't think Rogers wants you to be able to do that. It means you could copy programs too easily to a hard drive. It is a trade off they have made which puts the client below copywrite considerations. They should have been able to work out a technical solution to this if they wanted to.

I'm an Advisor

User14:

Definitely sounds like a bug Rogers needs to fix. As far as content on the drive is concerned, it's all encrypted and only going to be useful to someone else with a PVR. Also, I believe recordings can span the internal and external drives, which makes playback more complicated.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The spaning... is my worry that all may be lost.. 😞

Anything that WAS spanned.. when the box likely re-indexed.. the portion on the PVR was likely removed..

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 in conversation