cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4k nextbox

user1961
I'm Here A Lot

Every time I turn on my 4K NEXTBOX, I have to go to TV appearance and pick ultraHD TV

and the next time I will turn it on again I will have to go trough the same process.

There is no memory of my settings it always start at 720P.

Any solution?

The 4K NEXTBOX is connected to my AVR that support 4K and then to the 4K TV.

***Edited Labels***

149 REPLIES 149

Re: 4K Nextbox

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @nigelncwong

When I turn on my PS4 and change back to HDMI4 for the cable, it works without any issues. This could be a issue regarding either the signal or input.

nigelncwong
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @nigelncwong

When I turn on my PS4 and change back to HDMI4 for the cable, it works without any issues. This could be a issue regarding either the signal or input.

I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the signal from rogers.  there is a problem of handshaking between the nextbox and the tv when switching the input back and forth.  That's why when I unplug the hdmi cable and plug back in the screen would come back.  I have tried disabling the CEC on the TV already but still no go.  I guess I will exchange the box again and see where that goes.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @nigelncwong

The best thing to do us to have a tech check it out and see what is happening. Hopefully they can fix it for u!

Re: 4k nextbox

christianfigo
I'm Here A Lot

Just reflecting on my experience with this box (after finally getting it to work about 4 months ago)

Has anyone actually been satisfied with the content enough to justify the 4K box fee, as well as the 4K premium channel fee? I have had the premium channel fee waived for 12 months... but when that ends, I will be cancelling and converting back to a regular box or nextbox 3.0

I would guess that native 4K content is available on the 4K channels approximately 1% of the time (channels 995 - 999) otherwise I am viewing upconverted 1080p content that I would have in any case, even without the 4K box.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @christianfigo

I enjoy it when I can! It might play the same thing over and over but so does regular tv channels.

The fee is waived for everyone for 12 months. After that we pay $10 for it. The channels will get better but it takes time as do remember not all broadcasting systems are in 4K. It takes time. Remember 1080 took years to involve.

khungus
I Plan to Stick Around
Its pretty hard to justify. I wound up spending some of last year's tax refund on buying a 4K box so I wouldn't see it as a rental every month psychologically speaking. I'm fine as long as I'm not paying $10/month for the (lack of) content. That being said, I really do enjoy 4k sports broadcasts, but there isn't enough of them. But unless things change drastically by the time I get charged a monthly fee, I'd go back to good ol' HD.

Hello @khungus,

Have a look at http://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv#/packages - current TV packages (Select, Popular and Premier) have some 4K channels included.

4K Channels Included (Ontario):

Select TV Package: Rogers 4K TV (999), SN 4K (998), TSN 4K (995).

Popular TV Package: Channels listed above + SN ONE 4K (997), TSN2 4K (994).

Premier TV Package: Channels listed above.

I confirmed the above with a Rogers Live Chat representative.  Note, as per that representative:

- The internal files that Rogers provides their agents states that 4K requires a $10 add-on.  This is incorrect - the $10 add-on is only required if you have a legacy cable TV package (anything other than Select, Popular or Premier).

EDIT: I worked with a representative via Twitter, who stated:

- The 4K channels listed alongside Cable TV packages (on the Rogers website) are included for *12 months only*.  After the 12-month period, you must pay $10/month to continue receiving 4K channels.

-- This fine print/terms are missing from Rogers.com.  The representative is reporting this issue 'up the chain', which will hopefully result in these terms being outlined and made clear.

I hope this helps your decision, when the time comes.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @robindp

Yes but as u said it's for the ones with legacy plans like me and many others which currently have the older packages such as the VIP.

Rogers did this quietly and added the 4K package on their new packages as u are paying more for what u get..

Anyways $10 a month isn't much really.

@Meowmix,

Yup, nothing against those with legacy cable TV packages - I have VIP Ultimate+Movies (a legacy package).  Just a way to describe non-current packages. 🙂

AccordXTC
I'm a Reliable Contributor

This is becoming very concerning that Rogers is unable to keep stock on 4K PVR box or even allocate units for existing customers with units that are defective. Billion dollar company with an issue like this needs to source a better supplier or manage stock levels / forecast better.

I've got a defective 4K PVR that locks up contstantly even had two techs out that couldn't even help getting me a replacement. 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @AccordXTC

Believe me i know. I wanted another 4K PVR box for my parents room and only 2 stores in Toronto had them.. One had defective units and the other one had 1 unit but would only give it to the customers that signed a contract for cable... Seemed weired but whatever.

Seems Rogers is paying more attention to their X1 platform at the moment from Comcast and not paying attention to getting more 4K PVR box out to the techs or stores.

AccordXTC
X1 platform is far off is it not? I'm the one with a big paper weight of a box.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @AccordXTC

Its supposed to launch sometime next year I believe.

Have you tried calling in and seeing if they can put a request to have a tech bring one too u? If a rep can not do it, most likely a manager can.

It seems they barely have any stock of those but have plenty of the normal 4K boxes.

AccordXTC
Two techs, office of the President and no box still.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @AccordXTC

Even then eh? Wow that's really bad considering they are showing off 4K like crazy..

shaynesmith33
I've Been Here Awhile

4k PVR Nextbox noisy, is it normal?

I just got a 4K nextbox the other day and I've noticed ever since I've had it that it makes a clicking/rattling noise. It almost sounds like something is spinning inside the box. It's not that loud but it's quite noticeable and annoying when the TV is off, especially when trying to sleep as its in my room. It makes the noise whether the box is on or off, very rarely does it stop. I'm just wondering is this normal with the 4k PVR? I've had almost all of the other nextboxs and never experienced a noise like this. 

@shaynesmith33 wrote:

I just got a 4K nextbox the other day and I've noticed ever since I've had it that it makes a clicking/rattling noise. It almost sounds like something is spinning inside the box.

All PVRs have hard drives inside which often spin 24/7. Normally this is a "soft whooshing" sound, rather than clicking. If it's clicking it could be a sign that the hard drive has issues.  If it's a rental, you could swap it for a new one.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @shaynesmith33

As a owner of the first ones that came out, I barely hear any noices.. Sometimes u can hear it but barely happens.

Do remember, they do have hard drives like a computer does.. So you will hear noices because of it.. It's supposed to be a soft voice and not a loud one.

It could be a faulty HDD u got which is causing it. No matter what PVR or DVR u get, u will get noices with it.

shaynesmith33
I've Been Here Awhile

Yeah Im thinking that mine has a faulty HDD causing the noise because I've had all the other nextbox pvrs and never experienced a clicking sound like this. It's not very loud but its noticeable from 15ft away from the box when its off or when the volume on the TV is low. 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @shaynesmith33

Its not supposed to be doing a clicking noise. It's suppose to be a soft noise. Sometimes there is clicking but only when it's doing multiple recordings at once.

I would say swap it out with another one!

ijg1963
I've Been Here Awhile

Nextbox 4K Sync Issues

This is driving me crazy, but I don't have the patience or courage to try to explain it to a csr.

There is an awful audio/video sync issue with the NextBox 4K PVR.  it slowly gets worse and worse.  

In order to fix it, I have to go into settings -> audio then switch _TO_ dolby, then _BACK_ to other.  This causes the audio to become substantially louder and back in sync with the video.  No matter what the setting, I need to switch it over to dolby and back.  Unfortunately after a few hours I seem to have to repeat the process.   It seems the box switches itself back to Dolby no matter my audio choices, and I have to go in and switch it back to 'other'.

It's worse with the HD channels, but the audio can drift by seconds, not frames.  It's very annoying.  It doesn't seem to happen on the 4K STB, just the PVR.

Anyone else having the same issue, and can someone suggest how I might report this to Rogers without having to go through an exercise in un-necessarily changing HDMI cables, power cycling the box 4 times, and whatever else is on the tier 1 checklist?

Thank you.

ig.

(I should have specified, I'm in Toronto).